Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I'm here, fear not. I've quit talking out of my bumhole and apologised. I read dasfox's posts as having a different tone than they were intended. I think the look of certain smilies twist things. Probably a bit of cultural misunderstanding too. I'm reading with and applying a British tone of voice. Winking and "sh*t eating grins" and so forth.

Anyhoo, that's all done with now.

2. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    AHH gee no wonder a bloody Limey with that twisted sense of Brit humor, that's his problem Mate. LOL ;)

OK OK, Just kidding joeydoo, really just kidding, I love the UK :)

ALOHA

3. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    I recently installed Ubuntu on my old NF3 250Gb and everything went really smooth and fast. The O/S recognized all harware and installed the appropriate drivers including the soundstorm onboard audio drivers. Simply amazing. I couldn't help but wonder why cant M$ do that for me?

4. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Quick question - Kubuntu has KDE installed already, right? Can I upgrade that to an OpenGL accelerated desktop later if I feel like it? Or will Kubuntu throw a fit? :p...

5. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    The K in Kubuntu means Ubuntu with KDE as the default desktop.

If you're going to try the OpenGL on the box listed in your signature you have more then enough power, but then it just gets down to the support, and I really don't know how well it is at this point in time.

If Ubuntu made good packages for this, then you might be fine, you'll just have to try it, and see how it goes.

For a 100% sure answer join the #ubuntu #kubuntu forums on Freenode's IRC channel, then you'll know for sure. :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I'm running Beryl on my rig with OpenSUSE x64. Nice and smooth. The only thing I can say about Beryl is make sure you download the current stable release and not the snapshot. The snapshot release is not entirely unstable. I got the white screen of death (as I like to call it) upon reboot. For those who don't know, the WSOD is when the OpenGL based effects fail to initialize, the desktop pops up for a split second and then you're greeted with a blank white screen.

If you consider yourself relatively good with computers but don't like hassle, OpenSUSE is probably the best distro I've tried. Running KDE, it's definitely the most Windows like. YAST2 is built in so you rarely, if ever need to use the terminal. If you want to use a KDE based distro, this one's my favourite so far. It's currently #2 on Distrowatch.

Just a note about some distros. Not all of them contain native MP3 and copy-protected DVD support. This is due to patent issues in the US, therefore US based distros lack support. Royalties would cost too much so they're not included in order to keep their distro free. OpenSUSE is one of these. Third party support is available for these operating systems though.

7. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    OK, I have just installed sabayon and I must say, I am sick to my stomach.

Now I want to know this, I want to install linux

* I dont want to use the terminal to often...thinking of sabayon...."BARF"..
    * I want to play games
    * I want to be able to use custom bootsplash and themes...sabayon again..."BARF"
    * I want to use beryl and I am a complete linux noob so, which would be the best distro to use, exept sabayon...."BARF" consideribg the above...

Please...

Thank you in advance

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    If you want to play games, stick to Windows.

Terminals = Linux, sometimes it's just quicker to use a terminal.

Try Ubuntu, although I hate the distro now, they have some serious quality control issues.

I suggest PCBSD, not linux but Unix, but it's a lot nicer than Ubuntu, plus it's more stable.

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    OK, I have just gone through Sabayon, Ubuntu 7.04 and Opensuse 10.2 and I must say...THEY ALL SUCK @SS!!!!

Ubuntu freezes up just after clean install

Opensuse 10.2 installs fine but when I boot it it turns off my monitor and that is that....

So...that is a wrap for Linux, maybe in about 10 years when they might start working as a OS and not a work in progress

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    What do you expect, it's a free OS.

You have to understand that Linux isn't the kind of OS you put on, and then it works straight away, there's a lot of things that need to be tuned and configured.

Not sure what you're so angry about, I mean, not like you paid for it.

It's exactly why I don't think Linux is ready for the desktop, it's passable at the moment, but not exactly something that' going to take on OS X or Windows.

11. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    You guys are very wrong here, Linux is very ready for the desktop, and many things work very well right from the start.

Granted you might have to tweak one or two things, but then it's working.

Even when you install Windows, you still have to install drivers to get things working properly also, video, LAN, etc....

Linux can and does take on the likes of OSX, and Windows, and as far as Windows goes Linux stability is far superior, plus the fact there are no viruses, and spyware in the wild for Linux.

keenan all you need is a little patience, Linux doesn't suck, it's your lack of experience that sucks, don't blame the OS for your ignorance.

Grow up! :D

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Hey, I love Linux, don't get me wrong, but there's no way it's ready for primetime on everyones machines.

Security yes, heaps of programs out there.

But grandma isn't going to be interested in why a package she tried to install didn't work because the configure didn't complete properly.

She doesn't want to have to remove the work directory and start compiling again with different flags.

Alot of the package management things are getting quite good, but it's still not a matter of going to a website, downloading the program and dropping it into your Applications Folder or running through a Double Click install.

That's where it fails as a desktop, ease of use for nearly every program.

13. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    You say Linux isn't prime time, what does that mean, give us an example, and I can show you things that you can't do as well with other systems.

Granted the software world in some areas of Linux might not be big, but then it also has software that Windows doesn't, so there is always a pro & con.

Sure packages installs can be a bit more involved, but with systems like Ubuntu that take the guess work out of dependencies, they get installed along with what you need.

I'm not saying Linux is a perfect world, neither is Windows, they both have their good, and bad, but to say Linux isn't ready for the desktop is a gross understatement.

Linux makes one hell of an excellent desktop, and for most Windows Noobs who are constantly getting bombarded with spyware and viruses, these people especially need to be running something like Linux or OSX.

As far as a general desktop, Linux is well beyond the scope of general usage.

Linux does run mission critical systems, Hollywood uses it to make movies, and businesses, and governments around the world use it to for office productivity.

Remember no one OS does everything 100%, please show me the perfect OS?

Contact Air uses Ubuntu, I don't think an Airline is going to use a system unless it works, LOL.

Talk about CRITICAL usage. :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/casestudies/ContactAir

ALOHA

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  14. Soldado-del-fue

Soldado-del-fue Guest

GPU:
    SLi Nvidia XFX 8600 256mb
    Had the same problem with my system i figured i shouldn't use the snapshots but I did anyway and learned the hardway as to why not lol. I have mp3 support and wmv mpeg etc not legal but i have it :)

15. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    Hey I'm not down on you Finchwizard, but what you stated is not correct, Linux doesn't fail as a desktop for ease of use with nearly every program.

In 10 years of running Linux I have not seen this to be the case.

There is only a failure when a developer compiles the applications and programs incorrectly, but sooner or later in a new update the issue is resolved.

Look back a few years when Windows updates killed systems, I hope you are aware of this fact, that doing updates in the past caused major problems for many end-users, so I'm not sure which would be considered a bigger disaster to some, but I do know that Linux packages or updates have never been as big of a problem, as they have been for Windows users.

In the end when you compare Windows, system lockups, BSOD, crashes, spyware/malware/viruses, security issues, etc...,and updates gone bad, actually the world of Windows has proven more troublesome then Linux...
    :D

P.S. I do run XP most of the time too, so I'm not bashing Windows, I use it, but I know the reality of it compared to Linux...

Last edited: May 8, 2007

16. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Hey, you're preaching to the wrong person, I'm a huge Linux Guru, I did all the original Linux threads on these forums.

Primetime I mean like Windows, could Linux replace every single Windows machine out there, or every OS X machine out there.

Answers no, no gaming, no multimedia.

Driver support is pretty good, sucks on modems and webcams, most other things are pretty good.

I'm looking at it a completely different way than you will be, as an Administrator, I wouldn't put it out their for my clients because there's just some things it won't handle as well as Windows.

On servers, absolutely, I wouldn't use anything BUT Linux or Unix on my servers.

Until you have MYOB, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, AutoCAD, all the big players running on Linux, it still has no hope.

OS X has more of a chance that Linux at the moment with ease of use and programs.

If you think otherwise, you are kidding yourself.

17. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    Don't worry I'm not preaching, hehe :D

There's gaming, yes of course not as big as Windows, but don't scare the noobs off thinking it's totally a lost cause, there are many great games that have Linux binaries built for them, and Transgaming has great success for the Windows games.

There are also many CAD, and Accounting apps for Linux, as well as Multimedia.

These are only a few links, I'm sure there are more apps.

Also from what I've gathered CodeWeaver is suppose to fill the gap quite nice to run Windows apps in Linux.

Codeweaver:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

Transgaming:
    http://www.transgaming.com/

CAD:
    http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html

Accounting:
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Financial/Accounting/

18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I don't see the point of switching to Linux, then running things like Transgaming and Codeweaver.

You go to Linux to get away from license restrictions and you're right back at it.

19. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    Yes I don't like them either... :(

20. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Anyone tried Ubuntu 7.04 yet? Is it any different than the 6.10? I am just curious if its worth the upgrade.