Official Samung Galaxy S7 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by DeathAngel74, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks lol

Yea I found the same on my S5, things looked way better on the phone than they did once I moved them to the PC, way better screens on the phones, and the size of the pixels will make it much clearer I suppose

Wasn't impressed with having MS office preinstalled, but although it can't be uninstalled, it can be disabled and out of sight, as can most of the useless bloat

I ran a debloat script from TWRP on my S5 which removed all that, but don't like rooting new phones straight away, and the process seems a bit different with the S7, having to wipe it to disable encryption and a few other steps that seem a bit strange

I`ll wait for a while for that

Impressed with the phone already though, the performance difference between the S5 and S7 is very noticeable, display is way closer to your fingers too, almost feels like there is no glass between you and the thing you are pressing

Lovely smooth feeling to the actual phone too, nice to hold, good solid click on the home button

Usually the first thing I do is install Nova Launcher, but they've massively improved TW on this, so will give it a trial, only thing I miss is the dock icons customisation, can't move the apps draw icon to the centre or increase the number of icons on the dock (That I can see)

Fast charge is great, from 65%>100% in 35 mins

Notification dropdown is a lot better looking too, non of that weird greeny blue colour with two huge s.finder and quick connect things mashed to the bottom, just a little quick connect link

Ability to increase homescreen grid size and make the settings panels smaller is a nice touch

Think I'm going to like this phone :)

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Just switched to this beast from my good ol galaxy nexus. Boy the battery, it lasts so
    long, an hour and 30 minutes film takes 12-15% battery at 9/15 screenbrightness which
    is just insane comparing it to my nexus that takes 50% xD. Screen is freaking gorgeous
    until you compare it to a pc monitor. Then it looks goddamn crappy. Whites are green af
    which is really weird cuz they're green on my nexus too i guess its an oled thing.

The bezels on this are so thick i press stuff accidentally way too often. But at least i can
    now run in the rain which is great.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Quick shot on Auto, looks good to me :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  4. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Did this with the shutter at 10s :D

[​IMG]

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Whoh very cool :D

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just realised I'm getting red/purple spots on my photos

Anyone else get this?

EDIT - Reading XDA it seems a load of people have them and they are 'part of digital photography' and just to accept it? S5 didn't have any

[​IMG]

7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Haha I'm actually glad you posted this i thought my camera was bugged. Oddly enough
    i only get them with the HDR on

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Here's a pic i took for you so that you don't feel lonely.

[​IMG]

gotta crop so that its more obvious

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, still sucky but at least I know it's not worth returning, maybe they can sort it with a firmware update

Wonder if it's to do with the new bigger pixel tech they're using in these sensors

I always take photos with HDR on, with it off the shadows are black

10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah i like to take mine with hdr on too. Its like a whole new level.
    At first it thought you can even record hdr video and hyped myself up so badly untill
    i actually hit the record button. xD

Anywho these purple stuff i doubt they'll be an issue if the photo ain't zoomed in.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea probably not, but that's what I like to do with a good camera, zoom in to see how much detail is there, especially on close-ups, if enough of us complain to Samsung they might fix it (probably not)

Looking forward to tonight, the low-light shots have been hyped with this thing, watched a few night-time videos taken with it vs a few other phones and it came out pretty well, could see a lot more than some of them

Still think they should have kept the 16MP and 16:9 though, seems a strange choice for such a flagship phone, I'm starting to think I can see the loss of 4MP in normal distance shots, close-ups are great, distance/normal shots don't seem much different, possibly worse than my 16MP S5

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I'd take the s7 photo there, can't really see the difference in detail between the two
    but i can see the difference in hdr. the range is bigger on the s7 by just looking at
    the white wall on the right. You can see it way better.

//TimeOfDay is different though, dunno how much of a difference that'd make.

//EDIT Here's a video i made just to see if i can make the night absolutely noise-less
    and i kinda did but the shutter was at 1/24th here and you can barely see anything
    (not that you could actually see anything in real life) but yeah.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2d1PFVFmRg

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea they were a few hours apart, I took the S7 shot earlier, then while I was posting I thought I'd take the same shot with the S5, maybe 2-3 hours apart

I'm looking at the plants on the right, the weird onion globe things look way lower quality on the S7 IMO, and the bricks on the house look lower too vs the S5

I agree inside the greenhouse the HDR works a lot better with the S7, you can see a lot more in the shadows, but overall, maybe it's just me picking faults with my new toy, it still looks like the 16MP has the edge

I'm giving the S5 to my Dad soon though, so those memories and ability to compare will soon be a thing of the past :D

Yea you managed to just about completely remove the noise from the video, but agreed it is very dark apart from in the headlights, wonder if there's a way to bring it back up without too much noise

15. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    The only way to bring it back up is via ISO which introduces noise. Exposure
    setting is fixed for some reason i can never actually touch that even in pro mode.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Put the flash on lol, S5 flash is pretty bright, not sure about this, not tried it yet

17. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Oh hell naw the flash won't work at such a distance. S7 flash is really weird not only is it
    yellow but its not bright at all, my gnexus' flash is brighter.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Damn, no IR blaster either, they never seem to be 100% upgrades do they, they always take something great away first

Since you've owned yours for a while, would you say this video was still true, or filmed with something a lot higher end?

Watch in 4K

19. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Its definitely shot on the s7. It just looks way too professional due to the smooth shots.
    They use tripods and gimballs to make everything look really smooth but one thing that
    gives it away(that its shot on a phone that is) is the awful sharpening that is going on.
    I'm not sure what the hell but if i put sharpen from after effects its way better than what
    its putting right now. And the biggest giveaway is the forests in the distance, I'm not sure
    what exactly is going on here but every freaking phone camera in the history of everything
    has problems with shooting forests that are like 25km away. When you look at them you
    don't see separate trees you see one big green plate.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I was talking about that to my brother the other day, even with photos if there are too many branches or whispy trees close together, it blends them into a haze, he told me the word for it but can't remember now, it's apparently some photography phenomenon, not sure if it only affects digital

Makes shots that look great to the eye, look amateur and terrible on the photo

Still impressive video for a phone iMO, I like the shot of the beach and tide lapping

EDIT - That thing is called "Moire Pattern" apparently