Geforce2 MX400 and Rscmpt.exe

Discussion in 'Links' started by VaC, Nov 6, 2002.

1. VaC

VaC Guest

Wondered if anyone could shed any light on my problem please.

Just bought a Geforce 2 Mx-400 w/64mb w/tv...basically coz it was cheap and i thought it would be better than my present RIVA TNT2 32mb card.

Anyways card was installed fine with the drivers from the cd that came with it....but then i noticed other applications and simple tasks were taking ages to load up. I looked in task manager (as i use win2k) and notice that my CPU usage was 100% which has never happened before. I found that the file using all this was something called Rscmpt.exe. I ended the process on this file and my CPU usage went back to normal...however i also noticed under the nvidia settings in control panel etc....that my new 64mb video card had now become a 32mb video card!!

So i thought i would download the latest drivers from nvidia for my card...installed these and the same thing happens.

Now have i bought a duff card? which basically is a 32mb card unless i let this Rscmpt.exe file run which gives me another 32mb making a 64mb card...but to get this i have to sacrifice all my CPU usage (my CPU is a pentium III 550mhz)...or is there some way where i can actullay get the full 64mb out of my card and not lose all my CPU usage?

i have tried 21.81,21.83 and 30.82 drivers and all these install this Rscmpt.exe file...which runs every time i boot up....for now i have gone back to my old card and thinking of taking it back..as i dont believe its a true 64mb card unless this file runs

Any suggestions on what card i should get? i play alot of online games so need a good card which gives good FPS

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. VaC

VaC Guest

ok i tested out a theory taking into consideration other posts ive read on this forum and others.

I deleted the Rcsmpt file from my system...then i uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers..using add/remove software in the control panel.

I rebooted the machine and as normal at the beginning of the bootup sequence it still says the card is 64mb...anyways when i had booted up it detected the card again i cancelled this and went straight to the directory what contained the lastest drivers .exe file and installed the drivers this way.

This time there was no Rscmpt file loaded BUT...in the device manager it now says my display device is a Geforce 2 MX/MX 400...and under display settings > advanced > Geforce2 MX/MX 400 tab it still says its 32mb!!

So it looks like this card can either be a 32mb or 64mb depending on whether u have the Rscmpt file running ?

Is there anyway i can get this card to be 64mb without using the Rsmcpt file ??

3. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    One of our Mods sith lord is looking into this and so am I. However there is a lot of people having the same trouble as you are it is unclear if the card is a 32 meg card and the Rscmpt file is a memory emulator to give you 64 megs.

This problem has only been reported by people using using the W2K OS and some 64 meg MX cards.

4. VaC

VaC Guest

Well am no genius but as ive posted above i have tried various ways of loading the drivers etc...and it looks like to me that the Rscmpt file is some sort of emulator as u suggested.

The only thing that puzzles me is when u very 1st boot up ur machine and it displays what graphic card and memory u have...it displays me as having 64mb...now unless am wrong i thought this display was the TRUE capability of ur card??

The other thing is that surely when u 1st bootup the Rscmpt file wont have had the chance to be loaded until the machine is properly booted ? If this is so howcome i cant access the full 64mb of my card without the Rscmpt file ?

Or have i got it all wrong ? :)

Btw if it helps the manufacture of my card according to the box...is Sum E Vision..now ive looked and cant find anything about them on the internet...but then again i didnt look too long was more interested in solving my problem with the card :(

Thanks again for ur time and effort into helping me solve this problem :cool:

5. Martys Web

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    The memory you see reported on bootup comes from information in the video card bios.

This can be changed to report what ever you want it to. Case and point the Nvidia bios editor we have in our download section.

After Windows loads and the Rscmpt file loads then windows reports the card as 64 megs. BUT because Windows does not use that bios information to report the video card memory we get this problem.

If the Rscmpt file is not loaded then Windows reports the card as 32 megs. This builds a very strong case for this files intent.

I think the Rscmpt file is a software based memory emulator. It uses software and the CPU power to emulate 32 megs of video card memory and adds it to the video cards true memory or at least what Windows thinks is the true memory. And that appears to be only 32 megs under W2K.

Now is this just a bug in the W2K OS and this is a bug fix OR is the public being ripped off.

Even if this is a W2K bug and the Rscmpt file is a bug fix yes it is still a rip off.

It should be made clear to the consumer that the 64 meg MX card has to use a software memory emulator running under the W2K os. Also what the cost in CPU power and performance will be when using a software emulator.

6. VaC

VaC Guest

After closer inspection of the box (perhaps i should of done this 1st...lol...but asked for a 64mb card and expected to get a dedicated 64mb card) it says this card is a 32/64mb card.

BUT on the sticker on the front of the box (this i DID see...lol) it says Geforce2 MX 400 w/64mb w/tv.

So going on this info it would suggest that the card could be either 32 or 64mb depending on what o/s its run ??

So i tend to agree with ur comments in ur post that this particular card is not actually a dedicated 64mb card unless the memory emulator is run.

According to the techincal info...this card supports Windows 95,98,ME,2000,NT and linux.

But ive also noticed on the back of the box this other info what might be of some use (just for infos sake)

Geforce2 MX 100 memory support 8/16mb
    Geforce2 MX 200 memory support 32mb
    Geforce2 MX 400 memory support 32/64mb

Geforce2 GTS DDR memory support 32/64mb
    Geforce2 PRO DDR memory support 32/64mb
    Geforce2 ULTRA DDR memory support 32/64mb

Now why is there only 1 card that is dedicated 32mb ?? and the rest are "either/or"...this would suggest if u bought any of these other cards from this manfacturer then u would have the same problem and u would need the Rscmpt file to get the full 64mb ??

I appreciate and thank you for all ur help ...but i wanted a dedicated 64mb graphics card and i havent got 1 in my view so this card is going back to the shop tomorrow and hopefully getting a new 1 or a refund

7. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
    Could you post a pic of the video card and its box before you return it?

I think that in this way we could analyze the problem further.

thank you.

8. Martys Web

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    And what brand and model number please.

9. Kennung Eins

Kennung Eins Guest

GPU:
    9600GT
    How many memory chips are on the videoboard?

10. djze

djze Guest

I think someone should contact Nvidia about this issue, if this is really a hack of some sort to make the card report more memory than it really has im finished with Nvidia, this is plain simple fooling and ripping people's good faith :mad:

11. VaC

VaC Guest

Sorry but unfortunatly ive returned the card now :(

But the manufacturer was called Sum E Vision logo done in silver and quite small on the box which was blue.

The card was called a Geforce2 MX/MX 400

Also there was a red sticker on the box saying it was a Geforce2 MX 400 w/64mb w/tv.

The bloke in the shop counted 8 chips when i retunred the card...he wasnt happy but i got a refund in the end

Also there was the techincal info on the back of the box which i mentioned earlier in another post.

Btw their version of the Geforce 4 MX comes in a green box and has the same red sticker on the front etc

Hope this helps alitte :cool:

12. Martys Web

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
  13. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
    Okay, it seems that this file exists even with old TNT M64s, but I can't seem to find a specific brand name except from VaC's Sum E Vision which I am having a hard time finding in the net.

I just hope some of the ppl at the other forums reply to my post ASAP.

14. Kennung Eins

Kennung Eins Guest

GPU:
    9600GT
    *msg deleted*

Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  15. djze

djze Guest

I have read in a few forums that the Rscmpt file is a memory compressor, it seems this file is present in oem drivers from the manufacturers, in this way they can save a few bucks by cutting down on memory and sell a 32mb of real memory card like it was a 64mb card.

16. BoonieRat

BoonieRat Guest

Have you tried the Nvidia AGP memory checker program?. sometimes it can tell you if your NorthBridge is active(it reports 0 'zero' memory), ALi and (sometimes) VIA need activating with RivaTuner to get it all working properly.

quote"Here's a little app that will tell you how much AGP memory is available on your system"

http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=agp_memoryapp

Nvidia only make the chips/GPU and give out guidelines. individual manufacturers are responsible for the end product. a dodgy manufacturer could do the same trick with Nvidia or ATi chip/GPU's.
    Always buy a 'name brand' card and you won't go wrong, I won't buy ANYTHING but Leadtek myself...

17. SSJ Trunks

SSJ Trunks Guest

I've had a **** load of probs with my G2, but i went to the Creative site and downloaded the most up-to-date drivers for it and it still crashed, but i have to bloody over clock the thing to make it work! Dam annoying! :(

18. niX0r

niX0r Guest

same prob but rscmpt.exe dont exists

I have a similar problem. I have a geforce 4 MX440 w/64 RAM
    Basic tasks and it becames really slows with CPU at 99%.

I have WINXP PRO but I never find the file "Rscmpt.exe". IN the taskmanager I dont see it and I searched all over my harddisk and i´ve never found it. I have also search with regedit and nothing. BTW, I have never intalled the CD that comes with the card.

The manufacter is ST lab
    I have a PII 450Mhx 200RAM

plz reply thx

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2002
  19. Veynn

Veynn New Member

I'm also having the same problem like VaC. :(

20. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
    @ Veynn & niXor

what are the brand names(manufacturer) of your cards?