Do I need a new Router/Switch?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Moogy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    I just picked up Sacred the other day and now experience Disconnect problems left and right. I've talked with a few players, and they say that Sacred isn't very "Router Friendly".

I'm currently using a Linksys BEFSR41; it's pretty old, but it's done OK for me in the past - don't have problems playing WoW.

I have 3 computers on the router connected to my Cable Modem. All 3 computers have 192.168.1.x IPs assighed via DHCP built into the router.

One guy said he got a switch that works better than his previous router and he now has no problems. This confused me because if I recall, switches were just intelligent HUBs and didn't have any regulation qualities beyond auto redirection...

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations on alternatives to my Linksys that may be much more "game friendly" for my LAN?

Thanks!

David

2. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I've got the same Router and haven't had any problems gaming thru the LAN. Have you got the latest Firmware upgrade.

3. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Actually I just updated the firmware today and I also replaced a crappy ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that was causing system hands.

Everything is now working great!

Thanks!