PC upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cooloon, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Funny thread.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

This^....:givebeer:

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Time to retire that Core 2 Duo, dude.

If you're still not sure, then I'd like you to monitor CPU usage in-game using MSI Afterburner and HWInfo64 (configure that to display CPU usage in RTSS).

Oh, and monitor GPU usage using MSI Afterburner directly...

4. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    It's not even a Core 2 Duo. It's a Pentium Dual Core :3eyes:.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    there's 161 and 74, then there's 60 and 35, will you be happy with 35 fps? go ahead, be my guest. You're clearly ignoring facts and acting like you don't understand basics. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. If I called you a troll, you'd come back and tell me I'm attacking you and that you don't understand what I'm saying. So I'm not going to call you that. I'll let someone else do that. In fact, I'll suggest you buy a gtx 760 and see 20% increase tops in your fps over that hd 5770 you have now. have a good day.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I swear Soller is cloning himself in his cellar. We've had quite a few of these clowns on here recently.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You sure thats not him?
    same premise, q9650 at stock with a 7790 maxing out all games

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No mention of copper yet the jury is still out.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    copper on the gpu heatsink gave higher fps . remember that now and the shaky cell fone video without fps when asked for a video proving maxed out haha.

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nah, Soller's writing was different, plus he randomly used to switch to caps mid sentence etc... This guy is different.

12. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    Yep, I am absolutely fine with 1 game of 10 to have 35 fps because it is poorly coded or w/e.

I am not ignoring anything, on the contrary I consider data like chart above to avoid mistakes your advice leads me to...

13. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    My CPU definitely shows it's age, I clearly stated that but so does GPU and that is why I posted here, because I am not sure what will be better to upgrade first.

I did measure my CPU usage while back and it was hovering around 60%, greatly depending on game. The results were expected and kind of in line with all tests.

I would like to upgrade to 4 cores because new consoles will be using them as well, but currently there is no CPU in my desired price range. I really need not the power of +220 USD CPU, it's wasted money.

Will new Haswells bring something relevant onto a table or they will be following Ivy line? Next tick cycle is 2014-2015 :/

As for GPUs, 660Ti/7850 looks fine but that's all I can say. I am not following market much, that's mainly why I asked here. Sadly, the replies so far were mostly...not really helpful.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hehehehe...

As I said, show us your CPU & GPU usages in some games.

EDIT: per-core CPU usage, to demonstrate bottleneck.

No, it's just what you don't want to hear.

Go ahead and get a newer GPU, I doubt you'd get even an extra frame in the vast majority of games. But don't quote me on that.

This has been discussed a million times before, on this very forum. If you're implying with all this that you might want to upgrade GPU now and hold on to the CPU, then...this will be interesting if you report back here on how it goes.

I wouldn't upgrade anything TBH, I'd do a complete overhaul. No component upgrade makes sense on its own in this case.

That's all I have to say.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Are you fricking serious? So you post here for advice, we tell you to upgrade cpu first and you're just ignoring it saying you want a gpu. You go ahead put a 660ti or 7850 in that rig and you won't be getting anywhere near half its potential out of it, you'll get a very marginal performance increase.

Oh and only because games are not utilizing your cpu 100%, it doesn't mean that a new cpu wouldn't run much better.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Cpu usage monitoring for bottlenecks. Lol. Not the right way to do. Not that many games out there are properly multithreaded. I remember how badly E8400 bottlenecked GTX 570 in some games, the preformance increase was incredible with new cpu.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    This! Because a lot of games don't utilize cpu well enough, still, his cpu being utilized at 60% compared to a modern cpu being utilized at 60% will be night and day.

18. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    I never said I do not want to upgrade CPU, I explicitly said the contrary. Neither I brought up CPU usage.

But you apparently don't read posts you reply to.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    OP you said you are currently playing at 20-25FPS we are trying to help you get to at least 60fps you have no idea how much better your gaming experience will be without that slide show you currently enjoy. The first step would be to step into the next decade with your core components you have obviously upgraded your GPU once in the past. A 660ti wil be bottlenecked by your current system that is an irrefutable fact. If you wait a month or two 1150 socket will start getting its i3 and pentium cpu's showing up you can grab an i3 a b85 motherboard and 8GB of 1600 ram for around $240 that's my suggestion then save up a bit of money and pick up a 760 or 7950 at the end of the year when there should be some really good sales for the holiday season.

20. Cooloon

Cooloon Guest

GPU:
    R5770 1GB
    I understand what you are saying but that isn't what I was asking for...

As I said before, I am not an avid gamer spending +600 USD on computer every year or two. It's is something I am not willing to do, it's a waste of money considering my needs.

For comparison, I put this rig together over the last 6 years and cost me 480 USD so no, I am not going to follow generic, dogmatic advice given.

I appreciate your interest but I do not have same gaming needs and desires as you have so it isn't working for me.

Back to your suggestion. I am not sure i3 Haswell is a way to go. If the price was set to something like 100 USD, I might consider the upgrade. I would upgrade CPU but don't see much options, 4 cores are still out of my reach and 2 cores aren't really worthy to invest to besides just for swithing the socket for further upgrade and in that case I probably might go for Ivy now..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.