Teachers in UK want new legislation on gaming

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Apr 3, 2012.

1. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Teachers are just trying to pass the buck. Schools are a breeding ground for antisocial behaviour.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    ...if I were to choose between MTV versus GTAIV, then I'm happily put my kid to play in GTA - less chance that he will be an mindless idi@t by his eighteenth birthday XD

But of course, sporting activities and physics books are preferable in the first place :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    solution: dont have kids 8)

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Maybe they should pass legislation on bad parenting. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

If I would of pulled any of the crap like what some of these kids are doing back when I was growing up, my parents would of tore me a new one. And I mean that literally

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    gods i wish you the best of luck, your going down the same path we been going down for the last 15 20 years since doctor spock and others became huge to the point that enough people over here think a simple spanking is child abuse.

its not unusual in discussions to get called a monster even even if you suggest judicious use of spanking.

far as the broken home thing, interesting thing, my father was gone about the time i was about 1 year old, my mother raised me on her own, she worked 2 jobs and often i found myself alone or stuck with babysitters before the age of three. in nursery school i bullied kids, assaulted teachers, disrupted class, all because i was lacking the attention a child needs at home.

around 3 i was shipped to my grandparents to live, where someone was always around, they wanted to know what i was doing who i was with at all times, and they had a huge wooden paddle that i was shown and made clear to that it would be used if i messed up badly enough, i think i got the actually paddle twice, got wacked more times than i can count in general but it was always when i was being a brat, or messing with something i was not allowed to.

i had my fascination with guns as a kid, had them with swords, played my fantasy games like robin hood, cowboys and indians, star wars, shooting my friends and fighting them with swords.

never had a urge to drag a gun to school, guess because while a troubled kid in many ways, layers of seperation anxiety, loads of emotional scarring, i was not insane.

course like most teens i had my fascination with suicide and the like for my emo teen years. still had more common sense than to do it.

so i agree that most abberant behavior can stem from broken homes and bad parenting in general. having had some first hand experience with it. and seeing many other children around me growing up without their parents, and the way that society forces coddling and affirmation almost exclusively, seems to be just ends us up with self entitled wimps when the chips are down, or worse.

and i just have to say this.

if we are going to change society and laws based on the actions of the insane, then maybe we ought to have the real discussion, should we just kill the mentally insane, before they can harm others? i am sure there are tests we can do to sniff them out. we know that go off often enough that they cause an uproar like our schools are shooting galleries or video games are killing simulators.

if we are going to spend 10 of millions on new studies, on new laws, on clogging up the airwaves discussing if it guns or video games to blame, and never the real reasons i might add, is it not just cheaper and less hassle by far to just come up with some test find a good score and just off them, we save a few people maybe even children down the road maybe getting killed, score right?

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Holy necro batman!

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I agree with what they want, but only for the ages of say 10-12 and under. Upwards of 12 and you've got a teenager whose moody and anti social anyway so, lol teacher.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    The violence isn't the problem, it's the addiction.

10. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Every time I read a thread such as this one (unruly kids, etc..) I think of the phrase, "Spare the rod, spoil the child".

You simply can't argue with Bender - ""Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?"

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yep that is true unfortunately.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's because in the public mind, video games are still "children's toys". I can't believe that idea has lasted since like, 1985?

13. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    My kids won't be playing video games as I'll be too busy on them.

They can go do the dishes or something.

14. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Aha, yeah...tell that to my 67-years old father who is sitting his @ss off playing Skyrim all days long XD ...I never should've buy him a new PC for that kind of things...but again, if not a Skyrim than he would have playing in Fallout 2 all the time :LOL

PS. I am 30 years old grownup...and I'm a "player" from 12-13 years or so ;) And more - I am absolutely "normal" guy; don't kill anyone; don't rape anyone and didn't want them to. I think, be a "gamer" or playing in "violent" games does not make you "crazy" or anything...but the inappropriate social environment or some bad happenings in your life are might make you "social inadequate" in some way...

The "addiction" isn't the problem if you haven't "psychological abnormality" on addiction itself. If you are, than you need more work on your personality and character build or a proffesional help from psychotherapist to achieve that goal :)

EDIT:

“...And these children
    that you spit on
    as they try to change their worlds
    are immune to your consultations.
    They're quite aware
    of what they're going through...”
    by David Bowie

;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  15. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well I would say the parents share a fair bit of the responsibility. They are the ones who should control their kids when it comes to video games.

I know my parents back in the days were limiting my PS1 and later PS2 consoles to only be used during school breaks. You can't just let your kids play all they want, whenever they want for however long they want. And if a kid is blending fantasy games with real life, the parents are doing a really horrendous job at controlling them.

It's about control, and as soon as you have that "control" established, it's rather if not totally safe.

Really? :-/

16. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013