Intermittant net connection

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Pitman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    I've got this really annoying problem at the mo where i cant browse smoothly. File downloads work fine tho no matter how big they are. If i load a browser (IE or FF) it will either load the home page fine or hang. If i load some more, they will either randomly load or hang as well, with the status bar in IE saying "waiting for reply". Then after a minute or so it will time out.

If I enter an address, it will sometimes load up at full pace, but then navigating it can either be smooth for a while then begin to hang, or i simply cant navigate to another page on the site. Sometimes refreshing over and over solves it, but sometime i have to copy the url and open a new browser. If i keep refreshing it somtimes loads a bit more of the page after each few refreshes but its still hard work.

Just done a fresh xp install on a different hdd with no service packs or any updates and browsing works flawlessly.

On my main installation tho ive tried all sorts to no avail:

- deleting temporary internet files
    - uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet drivers
    - scanning with HijackThis to look for anything dodgy but it all looks fine
    - scanning with AVG and anti root-kit
    - repairing the winsock
    - clearing the DNS cache
    - tried the other RJ45 port, tho it works in either on the fresh install.

I tried to restore the OS to an earlier time, and found an odd install that i didnt know about called Wdf01007. If i try and restore to before this time it wont have it. I cant find much solid info on google about this Wdf01007 and it doesnt even show the in Add/Remove programs and updates list. Not sure if that could be an issue?

Anyone that could help sort this without me having to reinstall xp from fresh wud be a hero! cheers

2. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    Hmm ive just uninstalled AVG 9 Free and the problem has gone. That Wdf01007 was a thing called Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.7 and had nothing what so ever to do with the problem.

3. JoReLiTo

JoReLiTo Member

GPU:
    EVGA 260 gtx 216 cores
    oh great it got solved, did you report about it into AVG Forums?

4. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    I haven't reported it on the AVG forums, cos i think i may have caused it myself unknowingly. One of the AVG exes was giving the processor a hard time for no reason i could see, so i ended as many of the processes as i could. When i next booted and looked at AVG there were no components shown on the overview page. So i must have corrupted it myself and somehow caused it to knacker the connection.

5. JoReLiTo

JoReLiTo Member

GPU:
    EVGA 260 gtx 216 cores
    oh ok.