Is the fat lady singing for Windows PC Gaming?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by southamptonfc, Jan 7, 2014.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't think we'll see the end of Windows gaming for a while yet.

2. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    No.

SteamOS is Linux and Linux lacks the same level of driver support, the same level of framework support, and support for many gaming peripherals. Not to mention software incompatibilities. One of the reasons PC gamers prefer PC is the fact that once you're done gaming it's still a productivity tool. There's software that many people need for their jobs that is not available on Linux. Gamers aren't going to switch to SteamOS unless there's performance gains or there's a convenient enough reason and neither of those things are going to happen without the industry doing a 180 on its approach to Linux. Yes, you could dual boot, but there would need to be something that outweighs the inconvenience.

People need to remember that Valve didn't make SteamOS with the intention of competing against Windows. They made it so they could introduce gaming-based HTPCs and make a profit off the console-using demographic.

3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Still bugs me why Linux.

Maybe just because of final retailer price...........

A good PCBox or Laptop plugged to the TV, Steam big Picture and a Xbox
    controller is such a joy.........

They could just go with a Embedded Windows and have the SteamBox out of the door in almost no time /controller stuff apart/

Edit / that fancy controller is to enable PC traditional games to console style
    gaming , so it's not just console - using demographic but also for moving
    tradditional pc gamers to the couch (that I did, long ago) /

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I say no because Windows still holds the majority of the OS market share. And Steam OS is still a beta and not all users can run Steam Os due to the fact that some users do not have a UEFI BIOS or Users are running AMD graphics cards. Also not everyone wants to purchase a Steambox.

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Lol. That would be the end of it :eyes:

6. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    The face of gaming has drastically changed over the past 5yrs. ...So many android tablets are out there with people playing their touch-games, that they don't use their PC for much anymore.

I don't think M$ will ever invest in a method to make PC-gaming more friendly, because they want people to buy into their Xbox brand. ...Windows is so widely used in the business world, that M$ won't have to worry about their stronghold for a long time.

If Mantle can deliver the expected 2xCPU performance, then that will represent a drastic shift in PC gaming. ...People won't need to upgrade from their first generation i5-quadcores for at least 4 more years. And that means I can sit on my i7 for at least 6yrs!

The coming months will reveal weather or not the PC can perform as efficiently as a console. It will basically be a boost to M$, but a stick in the eye to both AMD and Intel's CPU factories.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I have plenty of friends that are ditching their outdated desktop PC's for a lappy or a tablet but they don't game, or never really did. So I can see why but to me the enthusiast side of the market seems more vibrant now than a few years back.

So I say no, that fat lady isn't even warming up in the wings yet. She's still in the dressing room imo!

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

9. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
  10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I ditched the desktop too, like your friends but more as a tired enthusiast, in part for the fragmented platform system. The OS is one platform then you have these sub platforms, Origin, Steam, Uplay..etc and their exclusives, UI differences, login accounts..etc. Then there's MS that doesn't know who they want to be. I could handle Windows 8 change but they alter it again in 8.1 then say they plan to go back to a Win7 menu which is great for those that want the option but obviously MS has identity issues and lack consistency. Top it off with all the other little things.... So to go a simpler, streamlined route I got a Mac and will get a PS4 eventually.

All that fancy hardware and tweaking over the years didn't really increase the time I spent gaming, it actually decreased it along with my wallet in exchange for some slightly enhanced but still inconsistent gaming experience....just took me 10 years to realize that.

11. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Gaming isn't the same on a console. I have a PS3 as well as one of those "desktop replacement" laptops, but gaming on my PC still trumps anything.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This, minus the mac (just not my sort of thing).
    Though, i have been dying to re-play some S.T.A.L.K.E.R, lately.

You should try out a few PS3 exclusives and Wii/U games.

13. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    How about steam will evolve and make its own direct x with its own windows os. Like steamx 11. And steam os. That would be progress for new features! :D

14. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No it isn't. Everyday someone new saying PC gaming dying.

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    And I'm sure graphic card manufactures will jump on that quick...

No one currently has the resources (man power, money) to compete with Directx and OpenGL. And why should they when that's what everything runs? PhysX tried branding and copyrighting it's stuff, then Nvidia copied their failed model- so now it's just a gimmick of what it could of been.

Make **** open or no one is going to use it.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I think about replaying it often, but takes a lot of modding to make it good. I so wish for a good do over of this game on a modern engine, maybe with some more detail and vehicles :)

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I normally just install all patches, then complete mod + any little extras. I know its hassle, but well worth it.

Wish i had my pc atm.

18. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    PC Gaming is not dying. Microsoft is not dying, but they're shooting themselves in the foot and everybody can see that.

The tech industry is changing. It's been changing since laptops and wifi entered the scene let alone mobile devices like tablets and smartphones.

Gaming will likely be very different in 25 years, to the effect that the traditional PC and console will be irrelevant.

As for me, I have no particular loyalty to Windows. It's what I've always used so there's the familiarity aspect of it. The biggest factor for me is gaming.

19. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Casual PC gaming might be dying, since the majority of so called casual games can be played on the low spec tablet hardware.

However, the PC will always be the platform of choice anytime a developer or gamer wants bleeding edge state of the art graphics, physics and game mechanics.

20. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I think at some point people will just use a phone or tablet instead of a real computer, and the only people still using desktops will be enthusiasts and people who need desktop specific programs.