GTX 660 sucks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by greg1993, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    Hello guys, i recently bought an MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660. I used to roll with an ATI 5570 and i was hoping for some massive improvements on gaming which they are not massive sadly. I have 2 games available right now GTA IV and TDU2 and i can't get them to work on ultra settings with playable fps... I really don't understand why is this happening they are both old games they should work like a charm on the highest settings with this card but NO!!! Is there anything i can do to increase my card's performance? i think i have just thrown 200$ out of the window and this is killing me...:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

My other specs:
    cpu: Core 2 Quad Q8300
    RAM: 8 GB 1333 Mhz
    Windows 8 x64.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    3dmark11 performance score?
    Those games prefer a good cpu if not mistaken so you are probably being bottlenecked by it.
    What is your PSU brand, model?

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The problem is probably more your system as a whole. Upgrading your graphics card doesn't instantly make your computer more capable of playing games. GTA4 is badly optimised and quite CPU hungry, TDU I can't speak for. However - the issue is as much from the fact you're using old gen tech which could very well be bottlenecking your 660 to some extent, coupled with the fact some games favour the CPU. Try other games and get back to us.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTA 4 is rubbish, don't use that to measure the performance of any hardware. Any other GPU dependent games? Crysis series maybe or something like Unigine Heaven benchmark?

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    lol I got a qx9650 at 4ghz and it bottlnecked every single card I had in it, 295, 480, and currently a single 580. GTA likes good cpu`s more than gpu`s

6. RodsterPS360

RodsterPS360 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 w/ACX Cooling
    Rockstar games are notorious for being poorly optimized. GTA IV and LA Noire were two of the biggest offenders. They brought nicely spec'd systems to their knees. Both those games are almost direct console ports. I have no knowledge of TDU2 for the PC but I had it for the XBOX 360 and it would not surprise me if that too was a poorly optimized console port.

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    If you are being bottlencked by your cpu it does not mean the 660 has been a waste of money because you are using less gpu power, therefore less energy.

On the other hand, in games like Crysis 3 you will be asking for more horsepower depending on your image quality preferences and resolution.

After all this being said you probably can return the card no?Maybe upgrading for Haswell 1st would be a better option.

8. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    dmak what???
    i opened the case, the psu is a "SL-8500BTX"

9. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    i ve checked here:http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=975&game=test drive unlimited 2 and here:http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=77&game=Grand Theft Auto IV and my cpu is better than the ones in the "Recommended Requirements".

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    "3DMark". He wants to know what you score running 3DMark.

GTA IV is the worst game you could pick to judge performance; it dips to 20FPS on my 7970 and likes to stutter everywhere. I've never been able to play it on my 7970.

Try other games, but don't be surprised if they don't perform as well as you think. Your CPU can easily hold your GPU back.

Don't go by "recommended system requirements". They mean nothing generally.

11. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    TDU2 is just as much of a joke optimization wise as GTA 4. The game was never finished properly, and Eden Games should be ashamed of themselves. It's also been completely abandoned.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Massive cpu bottleneck

14. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
  15. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    Let me ask something else, will a bottlenecking cpu or a cheap psu effect my card's health? if so i don't want to risk ruining it.

16. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I would change the PSU asap, yes it may even blow up and destroy all the components inside your case.Think the PSU as your heart.

About the bottleneck, for example, instead of having 100fps you will have only like 40.This will happen in games like the ones you are using or simulators and other similar engines like the one used on Counter Strike Source and Company of Heroes.

17. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    i didn't know things can get so ugly , well thanks for warning me i ll buy a decent psu with the first chance i ll get :p

18. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE

What Nvidia drivers are you running, AND did you completely remove the ATI driver and run driver sweeper before installing ?

Cant run those games at ultra setting ? I don't even run TDU2 ant ultra settings- but I am playing a a very high res.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I don't think that PSU is terrible for a single GTX 660, i'm running 2 off a 500w PSU.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You're proud of what?

Op, dont take game specs literally, that is just to get them to run.
    As pointed out, your CPU is a bottleneck and cheap PSUs are a risk.
    If you overclock your CPU, you will get a bit better performance, but a CPU (and PSU) upgrade is required if you want to max your gfx card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.