Ryse: Son of Rome

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jgomez7238, Mar 9, 2014.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ryse should be using Cry-Engine 3.6 I think, unsure which version exactly so I will have to check if there's any info available on that.
    (Latest is 3.6.5 and it was released today with the SDK update.)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Here's when the PC gamers come out of the wood work and "OMG BUYING DAY 1" after bashing the game a year ago when it was only available on consoles . It only looks like crap until you get to play. :wanker:

3. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Whatever version of CryEngine it uses it is still clearly a technical downgrade on Crysis 3 PC, I don't know how anyone can claim otherwise. Crysis 1 used CryEngine 1 on PC and CryEngine 2 on consoles and whilst it looked good and was the same experience minus VTOL (my first experience of Crysis 1 & 2 was on consoles and the visual upgrade provided very little extra for me personally), it wasn't even close graphically to the original and a lot of things were paired back.

I'm more interested to see if it's going to be a straight port or if they add back all the features XB1 couldn't handle like water caustics as that was a real fps killer in Crysis 3 but it looked brilliant, or some high quality Crysis 3 level grass would really make it look fantastic. Still very much a sale game, I'll bite for <£10 based on what I played of the XB1 version.

4. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    And yet Crysis 3 at very high settings on PC is technically superior to Ryse on Xbox One (as it should). This is something Crytek achnowledges in their Ryse Tech pdf.
    I quote :
    They had to focus on different areas (physically based rendering) and it's true that Ryse has better materials than Crysis 3 due to pipeline/production constraints (had to develop on 360/PS3).

Ryse at very high settings on PC will look a notch above Crysis 3 and I don't see a single game that will rival it in the graphics department.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    who cares about graphics, anyway? Alex, you still playing Rift?

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Watch_Dogs info is incorrect. The game is 792p on XBO and 900p on PS4.

It's great that the PC is getting ports of console games, XBO ones namely, but Ryse: Son of Rome, which I have for my XBO, is more of a graphics tech demo than a game IMO. Yes, it looks very pretty but it's basically the equivalent of those 90s scrolling beat 'em ups and about as shallow. There's no room for exploration, you just move from one battle to the next following a set route and that is why Crytek were able to make the game look as good as it does, granted only 900p and 30 FPS on console. The story is basically non-existent and the characters are all two dimensional and forgettable. I doubt this game will sell well on PC unless it is sensibly priced, say, around £20-£25 but what's the betting that it appears on Steam at £40 like Dead Rising 3? I knows it, you knows it! ;)

I would have been more excited to hear the Halo Master Chief Collection or Forza Motorsport 5 was being ported to PC...

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It would be better if PC got some PS4 exclusives, if I'm honest. XBO is loosing even more appeal now with this move. There's nothing out there that makes me even remotely want one. Everyone considering buying one will see this and think "I might as well just get it on the PC at a later date".

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yeah dunno why he replied like that..

Kezeen C3 doesnt look that good anyway, even @ Ultra. Post processing ruins it.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    It certainly did not get great reviews on consoles either. Why are people excited?

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Only game front the XBone I would like to see on PC is Forza but considering the game was more of a demo than a full game I may still pass.

11. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    You are entitled to your opinion. I think the game looks great but not quite as impressive as I'd like it to be. It's pretty obvious assets have been compromised to accomodate the last generation of consoles' limitations.

In spite of that fact Crysis 3 has some monstruously impressive scenarios and on a tech basis is superior to Ryse running on Xbox One.
    As I've said I have no reason to believe Ryse running at max settings won't top it. Crytek may have let go a good number of brains behind classics like Far Cry and Crysis but they know how to make stunning looking games.

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    "The PC release supports 4K resolution"

Marketing lol. Sure it'll support it but not everyone will be able to play it.

It was decent enough on Xbone, got bored of the button mashing. graphics are great, but not enough to make me pay 60 bucks.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    "I think the game looks great but not quite as impressive as I'd like it to be."

Well that's what I kinda said. I just didnt praise it with words like great and impressive.. Good was good enough xD

Anyway this game now looks a lot better, even with heavy DOF going on.. I like how physics and cloth reacts on character and whole extra detail to it, also sun lighting is spot on. Gameplay doesnt look that bad either :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OwyMMlrVAzQ#t=296

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The big thing here is... Ryse... is boring to play.
    Does it look gorgeous? Yes. Better then Crysis 3... doesn't matter. Really. It doesn't.

Because the game is boring as hell.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Played Ryse at launch and I agree with this completely.

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I remember your thread, shame concole section only has two pages and goes back only a month or so.
    anyways yeah, forget about it, even if it's free on origin. much better games to be spending time with of course but if it gives them funds for crysis4 then bring it on. :)

17. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Okay I think we are on the same page here. :)

Yup, Crytek haven't lost their ability to deliver graphics wise.

Now imagine the PC version at very high settings....This is going to look insane.

With regards to platforms I think this is going to be a Steamworks release as EA it is published by Deep Silver.

18. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    I don't see why so many people on forums are making such a big deal out of it, for the majority of the console market they really don't care about PC versions of games, nor does it factor into whether or not they get the console.

The only people it has any effect on are those with decent gaming PC's who also like console gaming (even then you still aren't going to get the same ecosystem you would on consoles) and fanboys to have childish arguments about which have no baring on the real world.

I thought it was only the boxed copy being published by DS(?), I wonder with their obsession to completely change how they operate if they will do something crazy and try and launch it with their own online store linked with GFace.

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm the biggest graphics wh0re you'll find (really need to upgrade my pc to stand behind that statement but PC, graphically, has been stagnant for years) I'm telling you man, the graphics in this game were great on console, they can be mind blowing on PC, but the game is so bad everywhere else, it kills even running around to stare at a high-res wall that has no pixelation/washed out effect.

You'll understand after you play. Just don't say you weren't warned lol. I thought Crysis 3 was boring, that game is an epic in comparison to this.

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Such a damn shame they made a mess of it in that respect, I'd have loved to play a good game set in that era. One focused more on realism than fantasy at that, there's so much untapped potential from that time period.