Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Is anyone having problems using PDF printer in windows 8 pro? I installed adobe acrobat/reader XI. But when I select print, there's no PDF printer. At work I can select print off a web page, then select PDF printer and it prints the PDF to my desktop. But with windows 8 I cannot find the printer after I install adobe?

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    has anybody ever had a problem where some startup items not show up in the tasktray sometimes on boot up.

I can reboot the system and everything will show up. it seems to do it on random.

I check task manager and sometimes the program will in fact be running but doesnt showup in the tray.
    I have fastboot disable so that not the problem

edit.

it seems to be antivirus(bitdefender) related as origin wont fully start when its enabled.

I was reading that it seems to becoming a issue with some antivirus programs stopping programs from running and not stating anything about it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    It is thanks to posts like these that make me laugh so much at the (windows 8 is better or equal to windows 7) fanboy propaganda.

That bug, issue whatever has been known since (or possibly before but i cant confirm) Windows Vista, that includes Windows 7 and judging by your post includes Windows 8, i dont think there is a straightforward solution for this, this has happened to me on every single machine that ran either windows vista or windows 7 with a fresh install, i got annoyed by it aswell and still am but unfortunately could not find a definitive way to fix it, the programs do indeed start but their icons sometiems dont show on the taskbar, the simplest ways to make them reappear are:
    Either close the application and start it again or
    Log off and Log on again (there is no need to restart and its much faster than actually restarting)

PS: i had microsoft security essentials and norton 360, both produced same issue and i am pretty certain it has nothing to do with the antivirus programs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Seriously? Why are you still here, Legendary? It's like you're not even trying anymore, yet you still seem to add some sort of input leading people to believe Windows 8 is somehow inferior. If it's a known issue in the past few Windows OS's... how exactly is that "making you laugh" at the "Windows 8 is better than or equal to Windows 7" comments? Not "Fanboy propaganda"... fact. If it's been an issue in previous versions of Windows... INCLUDING Windows 7, as you said... then if the same issue is present in Windows 8.... that would make it EQUAL to Windows 7... wouldn't it? That's like saying that it's been a known issue that for the past few years, TV's will break if you smack them hard enough... yet NEW TV's are somehow inferior because they didn't design them with bullet-resistant glass shells around them?

I seriously don't know why you're still taking part in this thread.

5. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Trolls just can't stop trolling. I don't understand why the mods let this guy continue to troll all the Windows 8 threads. He has clearly never used the OS for any substantial length of time and continues to spew the same false information and rubbish, trying to pass it off as "advice" for those that haven't used the OS.

6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Dude, you are a broken record and nearly everything you just posted was the utter definition of contradiction. Nice try though. Keep thinking that you are smarter than everyone else and continue acting like you are giving unbiased advice, when in actuality you are trolling/hating. I realize you think you are being cool but trust me, you are far from it. This thread (now into its second version) was intended for people that are using or are thinking of using Windows 8, not for continuous hating/trolling. You made your opinions on Windows 8 abundantly clear in you very first post in the original thread. You also made it perfectly clear that you have never actually used Windows 8 for more than a few minutes (I'm honestly doubting even that at this point) so you are hardly in any position to be "advising" anyone in this thread about the OS. You are not contributing, you are trolling regardless of how you try to hide it.

7. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Windows Blue Confirmed by Microsoft Job Postings

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_blue_confirmed_microsoft_job_posting

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-job-...ut-windows-and-windows-phone-blue-7000011399/ < You may read more information about Windows Blue here. I know, I know. The name suggest a certain kind of movie. Doesn't anyone think about these names before they use them?

8. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    im wondering if that will be indeed just an update or a new OS with updated features.
    If itll be indeed just an update then hopefully itll be free of charge. Looking foward to what it will bring to win8.

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Legendary... i stopped reading your last post after you pointed out an article that mentions having a graphical issue with a single game they tested.... and somehow making that seem like it's a Windows 8 thing... when there was a 98% chance it was a driver thing.... which i'm quite sure has been fixed in the past 4 months.

10. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Installed on all my rigs. been using Beta on one machine, loved it... Now its on all my rigs. Great OS

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Stop now Legendary_Agent.. this thread is not your personal thread, you are not being helpful, you are simply arguing for the sake of argument, go play some place else please.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    He can't resist can he. LOL.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    instaled on my lappy,wich is a Dell Inspiron 14 Z got the upgrade for 14,99 eu ,so i said why not?
    it has an i5 2540M 8 GB ram Intel HD 3000 and an 250 GB Samsung 830 SSD
    in windows 7 my lappy the windows index was 6.4 but in windows 8 pro shows 5,7.but if feels more snapier than before...:pc1:
    to anyone else happended this?

14. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Well i guess firstly you need to know what exactly is the lowest score on each, as the overall score is not a mid of all scores but the result of the lowest score.
    It would help more to notice what is 6.4 on win7 and what is 5.7 on windows 8.

Having said that, i doubt theres really much to worry about windows score, its just a silly score on your screen, they could have changed some variables and therefor now it returns lower score as people kept maxing them up with windows 7.
    All in all, its not something i pay attention to as its quite meaningless, if i wanted a benchmark i would do with other programs.

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Overall index? or just some scores? trying reinstalling graphics and chipset drivers. install sata drivers, maybe?

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    yes i was talking about overall index
    all drivers up to date,it seems that Intel HD 3000 has a lower score in W 8 Pro,and affected the overall index ..:3eyes:
    well,i can use my laptop just fine i can do all my school work wich includes MySQL Wamp Eclipse,Toad Data Modeler and have my Diablo2 running - i am more than happy.
    it is nor perfect it is not the best ,it is a operating sistem.

17. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Tempted to try this out again due to sheer boredom... have they at least added the start menu back?

Or maybe I just need someone to slap some sense back into me :)

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How come Intel chipset drivers don't install properly on Windows 8? I'm trying to install v9.4.0.1014 WHQL and it seems to have stalled at the extracting part (difapi.dll). I'm running it as the administrator, since the installer has a shield on it, but it is either taking ages to do what it should be doing or it is has hung for some reason. I've had loads of issues installing chipset driver updates on Windows 8 whereas they all worked perfectly on Windows 7.

Anyone else having this problem?

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Not had this problem, no. Installed fine for me. You could try creating a shortcut, adding -overall to the end of the target line.

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Intel chipset drivers have always done this to me since Vista, I have to manually update anything to do with Intel in Device Manager, ends up working fine this way.