Wait for Haswell cpu or not ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by gd12, Dec 9, 2012.

1. gd12

gd12 Member

GPU:
    MSI / 560 TF2 OC / 1 GB
    Hi everyone ,

The title of the thread explains everything ... In 2013 I am going for a new build ( gaming pc .. ) .. the question is should I wait for the new socket+cpu or go for an Ivy Bridge ??? In my opinion I think I should .. but I want and another point of view ...

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes wait, Im planing too. :nerd:

I was about to buy a X79 and then upgrade to IvyBridge-E, but after i saw Anadtech Haswell preview IB-E/SB-E is just not worth it.

Haswell has so many new features, the ones that really count (better single threaded operations, bigger registers, more execution branches 5 vs 7 now, new features like TSX), it would be a waste of money to upgrade/sidegrade to IvyBridge or IB-E..

check pages 5-11
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/5

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm not waiting. I was going to and then I got a good deal on a GA-Z77X-UP7.

Now looking for a good deal on a 3770k. I will be delidding it and replacing the crappy TIM. Not for the faint hearted, but no point in having the UP7 if I can't eek out plenty of performance from the 3770k.

4. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Not sure theres any point in waiting tbh, Haswell looks mostly about the onboard GPU, The Processor will likely be 10-20% faster than IB on average.

Of course I can't back any of this up, it just seems to be the trend these days, at least to me anyway.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Oh it will be more then just 10-20%..

Yeah, it was like so up until now with each new generation - every new processor had the same 5 way execution engine (from old Conroe up to IvyBridge)..

Now with Haswell there are 7 (improved over IB with new registers),
    add 56 front end registers vs 28 read/write by Nehalem/SB/IB,
    2x more AVX instructions by SP/DP operations
    and improved 2x faster cache per cycle (2x larger storage) and you have at least 25% if not more then 40% faster performance vs IvyBridge.. lol I bet my left limb on that :nerd:

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I claim the limb when you lose it!

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Damn you!
    :p

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Depends on wether you are happy what you are using now, If you are happy wait, If your not happy and you cant wait then upgrade.

It would be good to wait though if you can, if not upgrade.

9. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Personally I'm happy with Sandy-E, waiting to see what happens with Broadwell next as well as how AMD comes back at this new problem for them ;)

Haswell is just a minor increase, so I'm sticking to my 2 gen upgrade system. Whether it be on Tock's or Tick's, the advantage to upgrade has to be large enough to warrant the expense.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looks like I might be getting one, my almost 2yr old 2500K got damaged by accident yesterday!
    Am down to 4.3GHz at 1.35V now, can get a bit quicker, but this needs to work for a few months at least.

The cause, accidentally setting to LLC level 10 while at 1.38Vcore with the new F8 BIOS.
    I was tweaking while very tired and didnt realise I'd left LLC in that state, it was humming along nicely at 4.6GHz though, no failure.
    Checked voltage under stress testing in windows and it was at 1.5V, minor panic !
    After lowering it again, I couldnt get stable at my old overclocks at all, even though at 4.6GHz, load temp is only 60C (water cooled).
    It will make 4.5GHz with about 1.38V, 4.6GHz with 1.44V now (previously it would make 4.5GHz at 1.33V, 4.7GHz at 1.42V), but I'm done pushing this chip, its been great.

I had tested LLC level 10, months before and the voltage didnt go that high, but that was with the F7a BIOS (on Giga P67a UD4 B3 mobo - for those reading this after I've upgraded)
    Turns out the new F8 BIOS pumps some extra volts out, beware!!
    Back to the F7a BIOS now.

Main reason for my failure, possibly useful info:
    You can quickly test how much voltage is being applied to the CPU by setting it up in the BIOS, rebooting and going straight back into the BIOS.
    On the first page of the tweak menu, it tells you the voltage now going to the CPU, but this doesnt include the voltage applied under load when using LLC.
    After setting LLC level 10 to see what it would do, I did some other messing about and forgot it was at level 10.
    Oops.

Oh well, it had a good run and there isnt a big loss in performance :D

So words for the wiser guys:
    Avoid memory loss.
    Dont tweak before bed.
    Dont go mad with LLC if you gave raised your core voltage much.
    If you have my mobo, dont use the F8 BIOS !!

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's a new architecture, might as well wait just a bit more.

12. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Will it new socket have new PCI version on MBO ?
    Should I upgrade or wait just a little bit.

Is it release date on April ?

I'm in Europe.

Will Ivy bridge be available on stores for 3 years from now ?

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    New socket for sure.
    New PCI-E version, probably not.

IB may still be for sale in 3 years but will be close to being phased out.

14. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Go ahead make ur new build waiting will be a waste of time as u will miss out all the fun of current games.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The benefits of waiting may be 10-15% better performance (over Ivy). But Haswell may not be out in April as some assume, officially its 2nd quarter which could be June.

The benefits of upgrading now is (1) an immediate and substantial performance boost to what you currently have, and (2) getting rid of the excruciating suspense and impatience as you wait several months for the upgrade.

16. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That doesnt tell us anything useful, just basic specs unclocked, no performance.

18. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Read #15, after reading that i would not wait.June is too far from now.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The real question is, when in 2013? If you mean in a few weeks time, and you have considerable time to actually make use of it properly, go Ivy Bridge. If you don't have a few hours each week currently to catch up on all the games, then wait for Haswell. The reason being, by then you may have more time to make use of it, and even if you don't, at least you will have a better feeling of waiting.

By the time Haswell is out the HD89xx Radeon cards will be out (not sure of the Geforce 7xx series, I prefer AMD GPU"S), and Windows Blue, whatever that is (Service Pack 1 for Windows 8, or Windows 8.1?...), may be out also.

20. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I have about 2 h per day for PC time :)
    The thing is that I would like to run ME4 (Frostbite 2), Crysis 3, Bioshock infinite , Dragon Age Inquisition smoothly in due time.
    I read that for BF3 only 10% of the engine was utilized. So, I don't even have a clue what will be like next gen Frostbite for ME4 and DA: Inq.

I'm now considering
    Core i5 3350P (no integrated GPU, 3.1 Ghz per core, quad core)
    2x4 GB Transcend CL11
    MSI 7870 TF3 2 GB
    MSI B75 E33

Guys, what do you think ?