MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    I dont understand what you mean by 1.4vcore?? Stock is 1.15v, do u raise it to 1.35-1.4 ? I have mine 960core with 1.175v.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Afterburner uses AMD public overclocking interfaces, the same that are also in use in CCC. If it is unstable with it, nobody but AMD can help you and fix it, sorry. On other side, RT uses private undocumented overclocking interfaces, having no clock limits like CCC but incompatible with AMD's PowerPlay and with Crossfire overclocking under XP. Due to that reason (disablied powerplay during overclocking) RT's own overclocking interfaces will not migrate to vendor specific tools like Afterburner, I don't want to get spammed with "I used it and my card no longer downclocks" at all. That's exactly what is happening with RT.
    So if CCC's overclocking interfaces don't work for you, either wait for new AMD drivers or use other tool.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Can i assume this software was tested with MSI cards like the GTX275 lighting and such ?

4. Unwinder

It was developed on MSI N275GTX Lightning card ;)

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF

thank you , but i still don't understand why the computer resets even if I downclock. P.s. You're programs are really grate and I apreciate you're work. A BIG THANK YOU is all I can give you!

6. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    ok

now I have raised the core clock to 985 and the core voltage to 1.2000 and it seems to be stable with a max temp of 55c, now I have seen some raised the volt to 1.25-1.35v. Is 1.2 dangeorous to use, or can I raise even more ?

please answer :)

/wekktor

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  7. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    dear Unwinder thank you for this wonderful program.
    I have one question , Is there a way to add features for this program to fix NVIDIA cards problem that some times won't revert back to 2d profile after finishing with games and such ?

and by the way the ability to design fan Speed Curve is incredible thanks for that.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    One thing I did notice...When I changed the voltage to 1.3v on the 2nd 5870, the voltage on the first card doubled by itself to 1.6v. That was really weird and 1.6 is'nt even an option.

9. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    yea, that was wierd.. Look at the temps, if it really is 1.6 then the temp should be much higher.

Just one question:

I have my 5870 right now @ 985/1.2v , Is it dangerous high or can I raise it to as high as you have, 1.3v?

/wekk

10. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Tride both , in game and on the windows desktop , doesn't work .
    But for me it's no problem , let overclock go on when windows starts up.

And for the voltage , well the problem stays the same , have to modify voltage seperatly on each card.( 2x gtx 280 MSi super oc in SLI + 9800GT for physx)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009

11. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Hey Wekktor. You can use the 1.3v option. I only did for running benchies. Not for regular gaming as most games dont need that much power. :)

12. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    ok :) thx for the reply

Then I will try 1ghz core 3dmark vantage tomorrow :D

Do you think it is ok to use 1.2v 24/7 ?

btw, your pc is ........ :D

edit: I just tested 1ghz 1.225v and I didnt get any artifacts in atitool(5min) and it gets actually a little bit higher temps than in games and 3dmark vantage. The max temp was 56c. I would really like to have 1ghz 24/7 :), but is 1.225 too high for that ?

ok I succesfully ran 3dmark vantage with 1000/1200 1.225v with q9400 4.1 P17791 :)

Now I have to sleep, good night

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  13. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dont forget people that the memory if you overclock that to high it will never show artifacts, what will happen though is you will loose gameing performance due to the inbuilt error checking.

also guys i have a question, when i overclock the memory really high i dont get artifacts but i start to get dunno how to explain it its like the screen is flickering in games
    its like when the flicker happens its like when im vewing the screen the picture thats there at the time the flicker happens is like someone is ripping the picture i have and slapping it back down on the screen lol

i did say it was hard to explain :D

either way so far i have run some tests at 1.35v @1050mhz on the core
    still testing though as im unsure yet exactly how far these cards will go
    they just keep going and going and going heh

14. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    Dont you get artifacts when you overclock the memory high? I got artifact with 1275 memory. The computer restarted when I played games with 1250 memory, so I have to set it at stock,1200.

What core clock / voltage do you use for 24/7 ?

15. NKD

NKD Member

are you guys actually benching after you overvolt, voltage changes, it says it is overclocked, but hell I can get the core at 1035, and leave the memory alone and the performance is same as running at default clocks 850core, and when I run at 920core thru ccc I get 17k in vantage and I cranked the voltage to 1.26 and oc'ed the core to 1000 and the memory at 1250, and the vantage score actually goes down to 16.5k, and with 920 core thru ccc it is at 17.1k,

fan speed is manually controlled, and the temps never increase 65c, the OSD in vantage says that the core is running at 1000, than why am I getting a lower score like it is running at stock clocks.

has anybody run in to this issue, everyone here is saying that they overclocked but no one really talked about if their vantage score went up or not. for me it seems like my hd 5870 is not ever being overclocked.

I have cpu runnign at 4.1ghz q9550

4gb ram

850watt powersupply.

and no it is not the memory I can actually run the memory fine at 1300 thru cc and my score never decreased. I have an asus hd 5870, asus smart doctor is pretty ****ty right now,

16. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    my HD5870 works great with overvolting/overclocking. Stock (850) I get around 16k in vantage, and when I overclock to 900 I get 167xx and when I overclock it to 1015core I get 17791 in vantage with 1.25v. I use AMD GPU Clock Tool to set the clock and MSI After Burner to change the volt and fan speed

I have q9400 @ 4.1ghz

/wekktor

17. Unwinder

I've just reproduced the issue on software emulator. Stupid me, GPU settings synchronization mode setting was simply not handled in voltage setting routine. So now GPU voltages are adjusted independently for each GPU regardless that option state.
    Voltage settingssynchronization implementation and internal testing will take a day or two, then we'll test in on closed beta testers group, then release new version.

18. NKD

NKD Member

No go for me, I tried amd gpu tool to raise core clock and afterburner to bump voltage, I still see no performance increase, it is like it is running at the stock clocks, the only time overclock works for me is when I oc through ccc, OSD says my core is running at 1000, but I don't know why the heck I get the same performance as stock clocks, I have 850 watt psu, cpu running at 4.1ghz q9550, oh well I kinda gave up now, don't know why it won't work for me, it is like drivers lock the card from going at high speed,

19. NKD

NKD Member

It would be nice if you comment on it Unwinder, I am kinda puzzled why see no difference in performance when I oc it, I have an asus hd 5870, my card has higher oc limits in bios.

20. Unwinder

I only comment and help to fix Afterburner related issues, not user related overclocking misunderstanding, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.