Mario kart 8

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, May 15, 2014.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    So anyone grabbing this ?

Im really thinking about getting a wii-u for this game. (i think i read somewhere they will release a mk8 combo set).
    im sure it will be a great experience, online will be awesome (just like on the WII , which was excellent).

reviews have been good so far >> http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/mario-kart-8/critic-reviews

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I watched the review on Gametrailers, very impressive. Rainbow road never looked so good.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The original SNES version is still the best version, all the others have been flawed in some way like poor track design or poor AI.

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Somehow i think you will always prefer older version of games. And if there was a amiga or Atari version that would be your choice :p

For me Mariokart64 was better then the SNES version. I didnt like the gamecube version much, but the wii version was so cool to play online (something that previous versions didnt have).
    I also really loved some of the wii tracks. the steering wheel worked great for this game as well.

I dont know what you mean with poor AI , it should be the same if not better. (meaning it will be unfair like always).

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Mario Kart 64 had the worst AI, you could do 3 perfect laps and get a huge lead on the opposition but you crash once the opposition overtakes you ie: There always on your tail no matter how well you drive. You can find this information from reviews at the time in gaming magazines.

It didnt stop me playing the game to death though, also back in those days a console from the USA or Japan was much better than the ones in the UK as they ran at 60hz and not 50hz which was like night and day difference. I had mine imported from the USA along with OOT.

I did prefer the Battlecart on Nintendo 64 but the racing and track design is at its finest on the SNES in my opinion. Reason why Namco's Ridge Racer games and the classic games like Outrun are remembered because of there excellent track design which is often overlooked in many modern day titles.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Why on earth would i want to read reviews in magazines ? do you honestly think im new to this game ? i have played all mario kart games to death with my friends. we used to have mario kart evenings. and its something i want to organise again when i get the wii u console.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Just saying incase you didnt, then again when your stoned on cannabis playing games even the poorest games can seem fantastic.:)

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah just because someone else has a different opinion they are high

go figure......

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont need to figure anything, i know what im talking about and there is nothing wrong with your opinion if you enjoy the game. Im just giving my experiences from playing all of those games. Dont mean your experience will be the same.

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If I hadn't of bought a PS4, I seriously would be considering buying a Wii-U for Mario Kart 8. Just thinking of what the next Zelda or Mario will be like has me smiling.

Tesco Direct is offering the Mario Kart 8 Premium Wii U bundle for £219.99. Use of the code TDX-JGCV at checkout (as per NeoGAF) brings this down to just £200.

Last edited: May 15, 2014

11. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Mario kart DS is the best to date imo, awesome tracks including a bunch of oldies great tight controls and amazing lan multiplayer.

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
  13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Hopefully around E3 time we get to see more titles. they wont have a presentation (like usual), but there has been leaked a slide (http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibt...v2_article_large/public/2014/05/13/e3leak.JPG) which has some new games showing playable. it also says zelda and the shard of nightmare.
    however this could very well be fake.

For the wii - u console i had hoped it dropped price a bit, but overall its still the same price as before. If i order it from germany it will be cheaper then ordering it from my own country even lol
    i expect the mario kart bundle to be 300 euro.

wow , quite a lot of simularities :D

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've also been considering buying a Wii U for Mario Kart 8, especially now the console has a decent number of exclusives, including Super Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.

I'm a bit reluctant to pay the current £250 for one though (such as the Mario Kart 8 bundle) but I would definitely buy one if it is £180 (or less) with a game. HMV have apparently been clearing out their Wii U stock for £150 for the LEGO Undercover and Zelda HD bundles. Very tempting at that price though I doubt my local HMV will have any.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah Mario Kart 8 looks excellent and can't wait to play it.

I have heard of Wacky Wheels on the PC.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I wonder if the 3DS version has all the same features

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    GIB ME MARIO KARTTO NAO! maybe I shall ordaa it :)

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Can you unlock content while playing co-op grand prix mode in this game? I skipped the last due to that feature being removed, it was a major part of the earlier games for me. If it's included I'll buy a Wii U just for this title.

19. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    M64 was slow, had a cheating AI (they catch up to the player automatically) and was ridiculously easy. To be a good driver in the original you had to have mad skills, you really had to practice.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The AI cheating on the original SNES version was insane. On the hardest difficulty you could almost guarantee the AI would become faster for no reason, and would start throwing red shells all over the place.