Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Windows 8 rules. I had it installed on my Seabrick HDD along with my Win7 installation, which subsequently decided to lock its SATA-port. Found an older drive in a closet, installed Windows 8 on it and I've never even thought of re-installing Win7 again.

I just have an odd bug with the start screen, whenever I move my mouse to the left side of the screen, the computer freezes for 10 or so seconds. I'm thinking it could be caused by the graphics drivers? Otherwise, the developer preview works like a charm, it's just so much faster than Win7 ever was.

2. Prag

Prag Guest

GPU:
    So guys, any news?

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    2 hours DL :D

4. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    So windows 8 public beta is out ?
    I'm thinking off running it as only os on my main rig again so i can get a 100% bug free windows 8 on release :D like last time with windows 7 :D

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
  7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    How do I get the Start Menu?

8. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Go to the bottom left hand corner of you monitor with your mouse.

9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I mean the Start Menu button on the taskbar.

I want to get rid of this Metro interface and use the traditional Start Menu.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT

11. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    put it on had it on for a few hours strange bf3 looked amazinggggg but was way to much work makeing it from what win8 is to what i want it to be so back to win 7

win 8 is amazing fast looks good but way to much work to make it as good as win7

12. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
  13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Quickly tried it out before it gets too late, and don't feel as "huh, where is...." as i expected.

Much quicker and snappier than W7, surprisingly so, just takes me a while to make it function how i'm used to.

Unlike how I've treated every OS in the past, i'm not going to take the easy route and give in, will leave this as my day to day PC for a few months if possible, and change very little until I get used to everything, then decide if I like it or not.

14. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    I'm trying it right now and I hate it. Sure it's faster... but the damn Metro UI is making navigating a ****ing challenge.

Why do I need to move my cursor into corners and ****?

15. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Regardless of how well Microsoft tweaked Windows 7 to make Windows 8, if the Metro UI is the only option, I will not buy it.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    good post. best way for everyone to do it. Its best to treat it as one would when going to Linux or Mac for the first time...that is, as a new OS.

i find it refreshing to break old habits. I actually plan to break my dependance on some 3rd party stuff, maybe even try Bing for a while instead of Google. For a while now i've been trying to use windows in general as if i were new to computers and not all geeked out with being picky or tweaking things to death..etc. I use search everytime and stopped browsing folders, i use movie maker instead of 3rd party...etc and took some adjustments and acceptance of fewer formats but i'm actually less aggrevated and have fewer quirks and reboots than i ever have before.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It really doesn't take long to get used to it. Some on this forum though, fall considerably short of the "enthusiast" they claim to be. I wanted like hell to hate Metro, but after reading a post from Denial (that I think I borrowed from for a post in this thread), I reinstalled Win8. I picked up my cellphone (WP7) and set about to "experience" Win8 all over again. I've found, it's no where near as bad as so many on this forum make it out to be. They're just too close-minded and refuse to accept change. Their loss. Once you learn where things are and how to get to them quickly, it's actually rather enjoyable to use. Of course, it requires keeping an open mind...

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm in the camp of not liking, or hating it, mostly due to not using it long enough to judge, and I've been through far too many OS changes to know that I should never listen my first impression.

Not sure I will ever like Metro, it's just abit too huge, especially on a 47inch screen, but I will wait and see.

19. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Can I dual boot this with Windows 7? I remember something about the previous version's loader being incompatible with it.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I saw a message earlier that it messed up someones boot loader.
    Caution advised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.