The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    The advantage of multiple core CPU's, has nothing to do with how a program see's them, thats down to the OS. Software (if coded to) will use any available cores that it can - i.e. video encoding will utilise all 8 cores, whether on a single CPU or not. The advantage of having more cores on a single die is CPU to CPU latency / communication.

But anyway, just to show you that seriously, you need to do some reading on multi-core computers:

all 8 cores being used (in single applications):
    http://www.barefeats.com/octopro1.html

After Effects
    http://www.barefeats.com/octopro4.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/131782/2008/01/macprobench2.html

I could get more, but a simple google should provide you with plenty of results.

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If I had 8 cores on my CPU or have 2 CPUs w/ 4 cores, on Any Video Converter, I can manually tell it to use all 8 cores to do the encoding, but I don't because I only have a quadcore. I usually assign 3 of the cores for the task as I like to have 1 core free to do anything.

On properly multithreaded apps, no matter how many cores you have, they will all be used (unless you tell the program to only use user predefined number of cores).

deltatux

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'll cut my losses and admit I'm wrong. :D I know when I've lost.

But I'll switch topic to a more lighter note, the 9.6.0 kernel installed just fine on my osx86 box.

Xbench scores went up from 112 to 124, but geekbench 64-bit went down 100 points from 1388 to 1288. So, ironing out things right now. Boxer and Dosbox still work though. :D
    [​IMG]

4. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Good stuff :)

5. HanZ

HanZ Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    you guys seem to know a lot of the newest macs. so even if this might not be the right place i think i can get the most useful answers here:

I'm thinking about getting a notebook to use on campus and everytime i'm on the road. So the most important topics are portability -> so battery life and good measures.
    At the moment i'm thinking about a macbook with it's 13 inch. i would really love a mac because of the OS and the hardware and of course also because of all teh cool stuff you can do with it ;)
    But i'm also thinking that it may be more sensible to get a netbook like acer aspire one (the new one is supposed to have 8h of battery).
    might not be as fast as the macbook, but maybe enough for my purpose (which is office stuff, onlinestuff and also computer science. which i will be studying soon).

what are your thoughts on this? my main question is, how long does teh macbook battery last? and is it portable enough to carry it around all day?

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    macbooks usually last 2-3 hours on a full charge just like normal laptops.

7. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well if its to do computer science work, office stuff etc, get a windows based laptop, hands down. For a start, if you're programming, you want be able to run an exe on a Mac......

Secondly, if you're a student, price is obviously a factor - and a windows based laptop will come with a LOT more power for your pennies.

Dont get a netbook - I just dont see the point in them unless all you want to do is surf - I'm sure my phone is as powerful as some of them!

Let alone the fact they dont usually come with even a CD/DVD drive.....

Just get a cheap Dell or something, will do everything you want, be fairly powerful, and will be good on the wallet.

Oh, btw - any 'cool stuff' you can do on a mac, you can do on a Windows based machine :)

8. HanZ

HanZ Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    well netbooks really got my attention, because those 9-10 inch can be easily put in ANY bag! and their battery lasts longer than laptop batterys.
    i had a dell laptop some months ago, but i never used it at university, because it was just too heavy and too big!

At the moment i am thinking about a netbook with Mac OSX on it. Seems to be a nice alternative with the advantages of netbook an half the price of an macbook...
    any thoughts on that?

9. kakashi2885

kakashi2885 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC
    MacBook CPU-Z info

I ran CPU-Z on my MacBook Aluminum just out of curiousity.. and here's what I got:

[​IMG]

Notice the core speed.. :3eyes:

10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Thats fine, read up on Intel SpeedStep and the like.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Speedstep really works well in Mac. Almost too well, to the point where sometimes it won't clock back up. Apple has a way of limiting performance, like the hard drives in the macbook series don't run at sata II, but only about sata 1-1.5 in the range.

Anyways, to the point. I've been interested in seeing how well osx86 performs in my phenom 550 machine. And to say, it works great.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.6 ghz
    ASRock A-Live XFire e-sata2
    4096 mb ddr2 800
    Geforce 9800GTX+
    Iatkos v7 distro+Voodoo 9.7.0 kernel

I've ported some of my games using the latest cider from the Sims 3 launcher, I've ported Call of Duty 4 so far, and right now working on Gears of War. Call of Duty 4 performs as well, if not better than when it's running on my PC. Had a couple issues with punkbuster, but fixed them. I've converted some of my games as well, such as Quake 4, Doom 3, Quake Wars, and COD2. So far it's all working great. :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  13. runab0ut

runab0ut New Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GT 512mb
    How do I properly update my Macbook 9400 drivers to the latest? Last time i've downloaded Nvidia's (laptop) drivers, badly hosed my Bootcamp install.

Should I get the laptopvideo2go versions?

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My Mac runs everything in SATAII speed, no slowdowns here.

Why the heck are you using Cider>.>"? Doom 3 and Quake 4 has native Mac binaries.

Use WINE, which is basically what Cider is based on. It's free and works with many Windows applications on the UNIX platforms.

deltatux

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Doom 3 and Quake 4 also need a cd to play the game with. Which, I couldn't find any crack available for no cd under mac.

As for Wine, Wine doesn't fully work as well as Cider, even more reason is because it's not working 100% on Mac. With Cider, it's always being updated in someway, and easy to manage, as well as it works with my games at windows speed. :D

But it seems Apple fixed the Sata I speeds.
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/06/23/apple_macbook_3gbits/

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    *sigh* you pirated the games?

As for the SATA speeds, that issue only affects the newer Macbooks, no wonder why mine wasn't affected.

I've got the original aluminium Macbook and they never released a firmware update so I'm good.

deltatux

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, I bought the games. But when you convert games like Doom 3 or Quake 4 from windows to Mac, it's like directly installing the game from the game disk. Which, these games want the disk inside the computer to play it. And the PC disk won't work as a substitute.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    hmmm... i c

but for new games, I'd rather you buy the native versions, they run better than if you run it through Cider.

deltatux

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You know Call of Duty 4 is still $50 for mac new? Where as, it's only around $20-$30 for PC new? I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $50 for a mac game when half of the time it's wrapped in cider that you can make yourself. Doom 3, quake 4, and a lot of games based on ID tech engines don't even have anything different from the PC versions, aside from not having an .exe file. Data files are the same, structure is the same, same thing. Big thing that gets me too, a lot of pc games ported to mac don't connect to PC servers. Call of Duty 4 is probably one of the only ones I know of that does.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    weird ... funny thing is that these games work on Linux ... I'm surprised you didn't go with the Linux route instead. The Linux versions of Doom 3 and Quake 4 works with the Windows discs unlike the Mac versions as they are ported by id themselves and not Aspyr.

Cider is based on Cedega which was originally a Linux product in the first place.

deltatux