[WIP] ATX PSU Maximum Combined 12v Ratings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i wouldnt try it, as that psu only has 20A total on +12v. also, im not so sure about levicom psu's since i noticed that my old levicom was a crap youngyear, still based on an old AT design.

2. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Naw I wouldn't try it either...I'd shoot for the Nvidia 8800GTS single card recommendations of a minimum 400w unit with 28 amps of 12v current.

3. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Ok can someone point int he right direction of a good quality PSU with atleast one 12v rail capable of 28+amps is that possible?

Is it possible to get a list.
    I will not be running SLI 8800 for a long time to come!

4. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Ok can someone point me in the direction of a good quality PSU with at least one 12v rail capable of 28+amps. Is that possible?

Is it possible to get a list.
    I will not be running SLI 8800 for a long time to come! That I know.

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Well the 28 amp recommendation is for the combined rating for all of the 12v rails, not for a single rail. What's your budget range and where are you located?

6. RavenY2K3

RavenY2K3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 MSI Gaming
    Hi, ive got a PSU with the following specs

570 Watt power supply unit
    12V1 = 16a
    12V2 = 16a

4-pin 12V connector
    6x peripheral, 2x floppy drive, 2x S-ATA connectors
    ATX12V 2.0
    Including PCI Express 6-pin VGA connector for powering your power consuming PCI card(s) (meets high-end PCI exp.150W req.)
    Passive Power Factor Correction (PFC)

Following the theory of 570W divided by 12 it should be a total of 47A being kicked out by this PSU. Would it be better for me to use the dedicated PCI-e power cable for my 8800 GTS or will it be better using the PCI-e power splitter, connecting a molex connection from both rails to the GTS?

7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    It will be best to just use the dedicated PCI-E connector.

8. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    thats not really true. the 570W is for all the voltage rails together, not just +12v.

9. savior

savior Guest

Hi, can anyone tell me how much is my combined 12v rating please?

My PSU is LC Power 550W (LC 6550G Version 2.0)

If you can't tell exactly, will it be at least 20? I need to install an Asus 8800 GTS 640MB.

These are the details of LC 6550GP Ver 2.0 (for LC6550GP there are no details on their website http://www.lc-power.com/ but they should be very close):

550W, 140 mm
    - mehr als 85% Effizienz
    3,3V: 35A
    5V: 40A
    12V1: 16A
    12V2: 18A

Thanks a lot!

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    im not absolutely sure, but i have seen a pic of a psu with the same model number(lc6550G) with a single rail of 24A. i guess it will be the same for yours.

here

11. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I think the Silent Giant LC6550G is the same basic unit as the Super Silent LC6550 with a bigger fan and different cabling and that one is rated at 24A.

12. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Hey everyone. I have a problem, and suspect my PSU for creating it.

running a Alanvital greenerger here, and I'm wondering if it's stable. I get a lot of crashes when browsing video on the web or running 3D applications. :(

Everything seems normal until the monitor suddenly flicks off, (signal out of range) a loud pop comes from my headphones. after a while the system reboots itself.

I'm running everest ultimate to monitor my system. I don't think is shows anything unusual, but maybe one of you guys knows more of this than I do. :)
    system log (3Dmark started at 17:15:00, crash shortly after)
    <<my system.

Thanks. :)

The PSU says:

VDC +5V +12V1 +12V2 +3.3V -12V -5V +5VSB
    min 0.5A 0.5A 0.5A 0A 0A 0A 0A
    max 33A 15A 15A 30A 0.8A 0.5A 2.0A

+5V +3.3 combined power 210W
    Total output power 400W

I'm not sure how to read that. :p

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Software methods of measuring voltage (like Everest) aren't particularly accurate at reporting voltage levels but they do sometimes tend to show fairly accurate voltage level changes. Like it may say that the 12 volt output is 11.7 volts when a multimeter will say it's actually 12.1 volts. But if the software says that the 12 volt rail is bouncing around between 11.7 and 11.9 volts then the multimeter will usually also show readings between 12.1 and 12.3 volts.

So with that in mind I would say there's a good chance that your power supply isn't very stable no. Your Everest system log report there shows a minimum reading on the 12 volt rail and a maximum reading just one second later so I'm assuming that it bounces around quite a bit between those minimum and maximum levels all of the time.

What were you doing with the computer when you recorded this log? If it was under load then I'd say your power supply is not doing very good and if it was at idle or just surfing then I'd say your power supply is doing very poorly. Your 3.3v and 5v rails are showing pretty significant changes too. But I would still try and get a multimeter and see what it says or try to borrow a known to be good unit from someone and see if the crashing goes away.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    uhmm id like to ask, how much power does a headphone, a PS/2 Keyboard and a PS/2 mouse draw? and where do they get the power from (given theyre all attached to the mobo for power)

15. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I wasn’t really doing anything up to 17:15:00, that's when I started 3DMark, and the system crashed. (3DMark isn't a guarantee for crashing). I'll get the multimeter out, and see what it says. :)

I don't know how much sound card and the headphones draw (sennheiser HD210 PRO) but soundcard has no heathsink to speak of and the system also crashes without them, so it shouldn't be too much. an a keyboard and mouse... 5W total? USB ports can't deliver much power :p

luckily I've got a 45 month warrantee on the greenerger :D

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    how do i use a multimeter? :D

17. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I advise not to use a multimeter if you don't know how they work. (you can easily damage stuff and the devise itself) Heck, I advise against using a multimeter at a mobo/USB port evebn if you know what you are doing.

For the power consumption of your mouse and keyboard you can see if there is any label on them (there should be) the mouse I'm holding right now, a logitech Mx Laser, (actually, not, I'm using my fingers to type ;)) uses 4.2V and 800mA (DC) making 3.36 Watt

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  18. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Hmm ok that doesn't sound too good then. It's normal for a power supply to show voltage drop between idle and load but those kind of drops and rises during idle aren't good and would be compounded when the system comes under load. I wouldn't rule out a problem with the GPU or it's drivers though. Might want to uninstall and reinstall it perhaps just to make sure the drivers aren't corrupted...eh but then again a flaky power supply can be the cause of file corruption.

Waway, I don't know what headphones use but as Lain said you can look at the label on your keyboard and mouse. I'm pretty sure they all use the 5v circuitry for power...as do all USB devices. My keyboard is Microshaft Internet PS/2 type and says 5v@100ma. My mouse is Logitech MX310 and is USB or PS/2 and says the same...5v@100ma.

Here's a guide for using a multimeter to check your rails.

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    lmao..yeah it has a rating below..lol never bothered to look before

so it says MOUse=5V.....100mA and keyboard is 5v ....20mA(so thats milliAmperes?)

id like to see if my PSU does give the rated power..aside from a multimeter, are there any ways to check? (coz at my current setup, everest says im at 12v=11.99) and i want to OC the e6300 from the current 2450Mhz to 2800Mhz but im afraid the 12v output would plummet..i know everest isnt accurate and makalu has computed my power needs to be about 27a..but im not sure if my PSU indeed gives 32a (as it is a year old)

20. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah that's milliamperes. As I recall I computed your peak power for all components that use the 12v rail to be about 27 amps...but that's only if you can get them all running at peak levels simultaneously which can't be done with software. The only way to test the full potential output of your PSU would be to use some sort of hardware...like a load tester built specifically for testing PSU's...or to cobble together your own hardware loading rig out of resisters or peltiers or some such device that puts a static load on whatever it's connected to.