The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    LOL I have that game around here somewhere... Love anything to do with Titanic! :p I thought it was so cool when it came out...

Should be fine scout! I set my mac at work to dual boot... Going to do the same when I get my iMac...

The only downside to the macbook is it uses the intel 950 graphics card, so you will not get glass in vista... But it's still sweet!

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I am getting the Macbookpro which has a dedicated card in it. ( i think it was the X1600

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Apple makes some of the best laptops. You'll love it. They use Core 2 Merom processors now. Should be lightening fast. Speaking of which, I'd better update the buyer's guide.
    It's an X1600. You may be able to get away with some light gaming with it.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Yeah i know the X1600 is not the top of the line but for things like Unreal 2k4 and some FEAR with a few other games that are mostly strategy's (Medieval 2 for example)

5. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Ahh the pro... Nice laptop indeed! I don't care for the keyboard, I had a hard time typing on it... Would be sweet if it had the keyboard of the MacBook! :p

Yeah, the x1600 should do nice... That's what is in the iMac's... :supercool

(can't wait to get my iMac!)

Looking back on the tread I noticed someone referenced cider... How do you get it? I can't seem to find a download on that link...

Edit: NM... Just found this:

"Cider is targeted at game developers and publishers and, unlike Cedega, is not an end user product"

Not sure why it was suggested to be added to the tread then...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That Merom should more than compensate for the X1600. It's an alright card. Since the Macbook Pro is targeted at businesspeople, graphics power is sacrificed for battery life, which is quiet respectable. This is also another reason why I like Apple's laptops. My battery life has dropped a bit (as all laptop batteries over a year old do), but I can still get through two 2hr classes with at least another 1.5hrs to spare.

Will you be using it for work or school?

@ SirLink. You're right about cider. Nexus originally pointed it out. I read it all the way through this time. Taking it down.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I will need it for both since my work is also related to that what i plan on doing.

8. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Yeah, too bad, huhh?? That would have been neat if it ran as an app... Parrells or vmware is sweet for running apps that don't use directx, so you can't play games in it...

Guess I will just have to stick with boot camp... :D

9. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Woot! iMac on the way! Got the higher end 17'' model, and got the wireless keyboard and wireless mighty mouse...

Should give a nice slick clean look... Which is what I was after. Only a power cord!!! :D Its going to be a kitchen based computer, but since the only cord is the power and its not that awkward to move, it will probalby travel some too! :p

Going to dual boot it, like my machine at work. Use Windows (gona put RC2 on to start) for light gaming (sims2, rollercoaster tycoon 3, mist's, that kinda stuff... Will probably put CSS and oblivion on as well, though with lower settings of course. Gona move my itunes database to the OSx side and use front row.

10. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just remember to post screenshots in the games forum when you get it.

My parents need a new computer. They're using this Compaq desktop replacement. It's slow as toot and I don't know why. That's a question for the laptop forum though.
    My Dad has always insisted Macs are better but he's still too cheap to spend the $1099 for a iMac. He nearly crapped his pants when he had to pay $60 for a 512mb SODIMM for this laptop he's using.

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    lol... will do orenda! :p

gona wait for it to get here... got one off ebay, the guy is not shipping it till the money transfers out of his paypal account to his bank account...:bonk: Despite the fact that it is in his paypal account so he has his money... Sounds a little paranoid to me... lol That was wed. hoping I can get him to ship it today...

12. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    imac on the way... woot! :)

should be in tues!:supercool

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  13. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    i Was wondering if the Macbook would be better for Photoshop use than the regular notebook.

Just curious

14. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What do you mean? MacBook vs PC laptop or Macbook vs Macbook Pro?

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I mean a Macbook Pro vs. a regular Laptop (ASUS F3Ja

16. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    well... I'd go with the macbook pro, that way you can dual boot and have the option of both osx and win. Specs are going to be about on par with each other, at least as far as photoshop is concerned. Photoshop is pretty much the same in osx as it is in windows.. :)

17. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, that goes into territory that this thread wasn't designed for.

Since both laptops have similar specs, it boils down to what OS you prefer.
    I'd go with a Macbook with the 17'' screen, since it will probably be easier to edit photos on a bigger screen. If portability is a factor, the Macbook Pro comes with a better stock battery than the Asus one does.
    Aside from that, just go with whatever is cheaper.

18. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Yeah i think i decided on the Macbook Pro (15inch) because i plan on having both OSX and Windows on it which is more appealing to me rather than the ASUS notebook. Plus the design of the Macbook is superb and i like it very much. Seems that its thiner than the ASUS also.

19. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    If you'd perfer mobility I would get the MacBook. That's what I am going after when I have some more $$ !! :D

I like the design better than the Pro. The Pro is a nice machine, but too big for my liking, plus Im not a big fan of the keyboard feel on the Pro. Where as I love the keyboard on the regular MacBook!

20. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    anybody know of a place to find mac games cheap? Like to get Civ4+expansion, Sims2+expansions, and RC3+expansions... :D