how could i watch hd movies without lag?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by quaker3, Dec 25, 2008.

1. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    hello..
    it was a long time i was here..but so i got problem and i remembered that this forum rulez :)

as you see i have athlon 3500+ 64bit.. and im on windows xp 32bit version..
    movies 1080p lags as hell..
    im thinking to install linux but im not sure its worth it ( for internet, movies :) i would install linux just for movie watching if i could see without lag )

also, if linux would be on 64bit.. does my cpu would gain more benefit?

and about linux, well im thinking that new opensuse 11.. or kubuntu latest..
    all i need is cpu not eating os.. but with great drivers for HD movies...

on windows now i tried CoreAVC but still it lags as same..
    any guidance would be appreceated :)

2. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Do you have your videocard drivers updated?

Press ctrl + alt + del to open task manager. Click on the performance tab. Monitor how much memory and CPU are used and report back.

I think you may not have enough memory, but I'm not sure.

3. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    without movie
    770mb ram is already ate by programs ( firewall and winamp :) )
    while watching movie :))) ( watching..lol :D ) mkv format
    100 cpu.. and 850mb ram..
    im trying to search for avivo codecs.. im almost sure they are not instaled, only ati ccc ( i think its without avivo stuff.. )

4. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well if you are maxing out your CPU that definitely isn't helping. It may not be the whole problem but its not good.

Are you able to overclock with that board?

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    dual cores struggle with 1080p stuff let alone the old AMD. You need at least an amazing dual core or a good quad core cpu. Let alone memory, my recommendation from expeirence, would be

cpu = Q6600 +
    memory = 4GB +

hope this helps...

6. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

Install either the driver alone or the suite which I suggest without full knowledge why lol. I don't own an ATI card so I'm not sure. I think the suite will be best because it may have better video passthrough support.

See, you have a good GPU, that is the thing that should take most of the work while playing videos.

7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    best codec you can use, from my experience is the coreavc professional codecs. Simply awesome they support mkv too, best format for HD imo.

8. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    i have read even in this forum that few guys run 1080p movies without lag with athlon 3000 :)

besides..i have heard rumors that gpu can accelerate movies - so..if only i could use even hald gpu power, it might run movie without lag ( just pure logic )
    i will do my best to find answer how to solve this.. also i will keep an eye on this thread, maybe you guys with old pc can run those movies without lag :)

9. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    You need a cord 2 2.0ghz or better for HD movie.

10. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Look, my overclocked e6750 still isn't enough to watch movies on a 42 inch tv ... but the problem is it only uses 20% of the cpu or something like that... in your case it probably is the cpu that causes lag (I don't have much...) .

For watching mkv files there is no use in using the gpu... it only accelerates blu-ray/hd-dvd movies ...
    Memory doesn't matter much too ... while i play the mkv movies it gets far from full... so 4gb isn't going to make a difference...

Correct me if i'm wrong...

I use VLC player. If you know of a better player for mkv files please tell me (really! ... this player reads everything but sucks at mkv so it seems)...

11. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    get ffdshow and Haali media spliter. My 5600 runs 1080 really well about 30% CPU usage.

12. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'm sure there is a way... I don't have it because I don't really need it...

I did run a 1080p test just now to compare. I use about 50-60% on both of my cores. Which sadly is a lot compared to your CPU. If you did upgrade to dualcore that should just about fix your problem.

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    they are either talking out of their arses or not watching it true HD. Its abit like saying an old cpu can run cryisis on max settings lol, the amount of raw data that needs to be outputted to the high resoulution requires an extreme amount of processing power.

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i run it in media player 11, with coreavc professional codecs ,ffdshow and the Haali media spliter. When i run a mkv file in vlc, the coreavc codec doesnt load which tells me it is being software emulated like therefore not true HD quality, unlike when i run it in media player, i have run them side by side (planet earth mkv 1080p) and the media player is obviously much better quality.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    actually i see many movies with 1920*1080 resolution are different size..one is 20gb..others are only 5gb... and others bluray 40gb.. but the quality of them all is the same i guess ( because resolution is the same )

16. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    ok, just tried out stuff, memory doesnt go above 300mb so i take it back about the memory, even though i think more memory the better in general anyway :p, but the cpu usage went upto 75% on a quad core too! thats telling me that the cpu is being properly used etc and the movie does not lag at all.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    well some files that are at a 1080p resolution and are around 5gb etc tend to be upscaled dvds or smaller res HD files, therefore are not the best of the best if you get me. They are only upscaled. In general, DVD raw size is around 4gb, HD 720p is around 7-8gb and 1080p is around 25gb, thats from my experience.

Im talking about the movies themselves without all the extras. Thats the guide i go on but i have seen movies of 1080p resolution at only 12gb and they look awesome.

Try things out for yourself is my advice, but im telling you, unless someone corrects me that you need a beefy cpu :)

18. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    so..clear me once more.. no HDTV movies are accelerated by gpu? only blu-ray?
    those mkv files are accelerated at by gpu at all? :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    in my experience, mkv files are NOT accelerated by the GPU. i thought it was only content coming directly from a optical source, ie blu-ray drive etc. Well i dont get any acceleartion with my grahics card and i thought my gpus offer that kind of support.

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    well, just to some up, i used to have an AMD 3800 overclocked to like 2.8ghz with an ATI 3850 and performance of HD content was terrible, even most 720p stuff.

Got my rig on the left, ran perfectly first time no stuttering at all, even while playing crysis on another monitor.