Diamond Multimedia Xtreme Sound 7.1 PCIe Sound Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Diamond Multimedia introduced the Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 PCI-e Low Profile 24 Bit Record and Playback Internal Sound Card, model name XS71HD. The high performance HD sound card improve Your Sound Ex...

Diamond Multimedia Xtreme Sound 7.1 PCIe Sound Card

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What audio chipset is this thing using?

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    looks like something you would get at the bottom of a cereal box or cracker jack box.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I looked at the drivers ,it using some kind of C-media chip, could be the chip thats on the DG, unless it using the CMI8788. Good thing about it, is it has coaxial incase one doesnt like tos link and use the card to get it features output thru their external dac amp.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If it's using the C-Media CMI8786 (from the Xonar DG), I don't want to hear how this card sounds.... It's a great budget audio chipset, but that's all it is. A Budget audio chipset. At $59.99....that's an overpriced card. If course, if by some miracle, it's using the CMI8788 audio chip....it might be a decent card.

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I only use sound cards if my onboard sound died. But diamond cards are nice.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    For me it having Coaxial output at that price range and being PCI-E is good enough for me. Since I would just use it for C-media's ASIO support and the Dolby headphone function since I wont have to deal with Tos link plug end breaking scaring me half to death into my external dac amp. Then I prefer Dolby headphone then Razer's Surround software when I gaming.

9. krash3x

krash3x Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan Black Edition
    Is there really any point in getting a sound card at this pirce point? Its not going to to sound much better than onboard, or any performance gain. Just quit being cheap and get a good card like the creative zxr. This thing is amazing even compared to my Asus xonar d2x.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I don't see how I am cheap, when I have a freaking Audio-GD NFB 15.32 external dac amp which cost me $239 let alone the rest of my rig. Just because I don't run out and get a ZXR just for its Coaxial output which would be a waste. I already mention If I was to get this diamond card it would been for actual Asio without using the a wrapper and dolby headphone which I prefer for virtual surround usage and then the Coaxial usage since I had tos link cable break on me and I not looking forward for that to happen again, with the end getting stuck in my external dac amp again which i already mentioned.

The reason why cheaper sound cards exist is so people who wanna move from there on-boards audio can do so with price ranges they can afford. Some one looking for a upgrade from on-board audio who are not on a haswell setup, will be able to do so while still getting a improvement from on-board. Not every one out there wanna go lump 100+ on a sound card just because you did which why there are muiti options some are good and some are bad.

Plus you don't upgrade sound cards if your looking for FPS performance, you upgrade graphics cards or Cpus. Also the rest of your audio gear matter too like speakers and headphones quality.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Maybe if Rob or maybe Hilbert gets a hold of one or another forum user gets one. Could be me since I been trying to find a card with Coaxial I/O's while being PCI-E and that's the only one that exist in that price range for my needs and wants.

14. krash3x

krash3x Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan Black Edition
    I never thought about that, but it brings up the question of why would you buy a sound card using a digital coax out when your motherboard can do the same thing?(unless the motherboard didn't have a digital coax out) I admit that there are diminishing returns with soundcards as the price goes up but at this price its not going to be much better. We don't have hardware accelerated sound on the newer Operating Systems. The question is where do you want to compromise. I honestly don't see how a soundcard like this is going to be a worthy improvement over onboard. I will say have to say that when my asus xonar d2x went out and I used the hdmi out on my videocard the sound didn't nearly have the same quality as my Creative zxr on a spdif. Deadspace had a more convincing soundstage and the positional effects were far better. Probably the DSP but it was like going from mono to stereo it seemed like. The headphone amp is powerful enough to power my hifiman He500 to louder than comfortable levels. One of these days I will have to get a big boys amp for my headphones though. :-/