best storytelling in shooters

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Can't agree more with you. The original Red Faction has a Total Recall vibe to it that would make Paul Verhoeven proud. I also like Halo's story very much. I really don't care about what anyone else thinks (and shouldn't have to "defend" myself about this anyway). I just enjoy the franchise's story. I also like Half-Life 2's, although it doesn't "connect" well with the original, but on its own it has a solid story going for it compared to many other shooters out there.

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    You're right, the story was pretty solid actually and kept me hooked on the game. I so much wanted a sequel when I finished it. ):

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes. Despite the immature profanity, the player character of Grayson was a solid character who felt genuine guilt for the pains and hardships he had put his friends through.

It's very solid story telling masked by language that makes most believe they are playing a simple run and gun.

EA and Epic can sit and spin for canning People Can Fly's plans for a sequel. EA's statements that the game failed to meet sales expectations... when people from People Can Fly openly said that EA set those goals so high, there was no way they were going to meet them.
    Then for Epic to can the project and make them develop a new Gears of War... meh.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I liked Halo's story, just not the gameplay. Particularly the endlessly repeating corridor sections.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Half Life. That had a great story. Second game isn't too bad either.

7. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Outcast, Half-life, Mass Effect, Halo, Metal Gear (PS1), Max Payne 1&2.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Bioshock games are very immersive and well written, especially the first. A recent and super under-rated game was Spec-Ops the Line wich also had a great story.

9. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Bioshock's stories are all good. The ending sequence of the first Bioshock choked me up to tears. I also like Infinite's ending but it had a different impact on me.

The first Halo (Combat Evolved) story was also very good. From there on Halo got sucked into a marketing vortex and everything went south very quickly. I always thought the Halo ringworlds would continue to play a significant role in the game but pumping out Massive Online Play via consoles appears to trump any semblance of quality these days. I also resented Micro$oft's decision to no longer support PC gaming (odd considering PC's made the company possible in the first place).

10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I can't believe more people haven't said Half-Life 2. Maybe not many played it when it first came out. It's probably fps of the decade. No cut scenes. You're always looking through Gordon's perspective. The story itself is captivating. I expected a cop-out at the end of the game, but you actually explored the citadel (nevermind about the actual end).

Bioshock also comes to mind. That game's story blew your mind. Again, it features a captivating world begging to be explored.

Too many times I'll get a game and stop playing because the story isn't captivating or entirely lacking.

11. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    half life 1+2
    maxpayne 1+2
    return to castle wolfenstien
    redfaction 1
    modern warfare 1
    fallout3 the main was too fast but ok and the whole game had great atmosphere

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    System Shock also has a great story. Very old game now, but still one of the best.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    not half life series thats for sure. story is so epic but telling is EPIC FAIL.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Agreed.
    I love the story in the first Half-Life, but... the telling was good. Not great.
    Half-Life 2... I feel, didn't really have a story.

Character animation was great for the time, but... the story... was... meh.

15. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Halflife1 was the first shooter telling a story via ingame scenes that the players could walk around in, it was far ahead of its time.

Shame actually that todays games (BF3 i look at you!) are reverting story scenes back to simple quick time events again (Press A to disable atomic bomb, press B to invent a solar energy source, press C to rescue humanity from certain boredom) :p

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    hehe nice one.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Stalker series, definitely. Story was was excellent.

18. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    why is everyone talking story when the question's about storytelling? :p

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Isn't that like the same thing?

20. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    It's the same thing. What's a story good for if it isnt told?