30foot HDR Capable HDMI

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by wrathloki, Feb 3, 2017.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Does anyone know of a good 30 foot HDMI cable that can handle HDR? My Monoprice HDMI 2.0 30 foot redmere cable can't manage to send an HDR signal even at 1080p. So what are my options for cables that have been verified to be fast enough at those lengths?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The make HDMI to Ethernet it ain't cheap though...

https://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-UH...d=1486084013&sr=8-1&keywords=AT-UHD-EX-70-2PS

You can also search on Amazon, there are several that 'claim' to be capable of 18gbs at 30 feet.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It claims it is. Ha ha. You'll have to do some research and see if you can get some real answers. For now, it isn't something I have to worry about. And hopefully, by the time I do, they will have something easier or cheaper.

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah, I understand this, but many cables that claim to be HDMI 2.0a capable or 18gbps capable can't handle that full bandwidth. I have owned such cables. I had a 6 foot monoprice HDMI 2.0a cable in which I couldn't get a picture when I turned on HDMI UHD Color on my tv. Swapped the cable for another brand and voila, it worked. I'm hoping to find someone that has used a longer run cable and managed an HDR picture with it.

7. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    If they claim to be 18gbps capable and don't work that means they are defective cables and you should return them. I never used cables longer than the standard 10ft but I'm using the ones with ethernet support from Copartner.
    They do the job pretty well.
    gl.
    http://en.copartner.com.tw/front/bin/home.phtml

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I don't think this is necessarily true that they're defective if they can't manage the full 18gbps. It's more that there's a lot of false advertising.

9. flameguard

flameguard New Member

GPU:
    Gtx970
    I have a 33ft cable passing 18gbs 4:4:4 2160p from the pc to a 79" lg.

You will need an ethereal hdm-ga1, will even work with cheap cables but I'd recommend a reasonable gauge cable.

Remarkable device. It will solve all your problems.

10. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    This depends on if you see a picture or not, but if you are using a long cable and it shows the HDR picture but its corrupted/flickering, disable audio (if you can on the device you are using) to rule out if the cable is the reason.

Running the highest video mode supported by HDMI 2.0 does not leave room for audio at the same time and since HDR was tacked on in a later letter revision, it could cause this too.

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Wow really good point. I never even thought of that. Most of the time I don't get a picture but have had it show up all noisey a couple of times so maybe that's enough to get me over the hump.

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  13. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
  14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I have a couple of cheap 15 feet HDMI cables that i use for 4k from the PC to the 4k TV, they work perfectly in 4k as long as i disable the audio via the HDMI and use my PC speaker system instead, which i do anyway, works a treat.

The two HDMI cables are joined together with a simply HDMI female to female joiner that i got for 99p from ebay.

15. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I can manage 4k60 fine with my 30 foot cable it's just when I turn on HDMI UHD Color so that HDR will work is where I run into issues.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just out of curiosity what device are you sending the HDR to, a HDR 4k TV or PC monitor?

If TV have you tried both 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 on the TV to see if that helps.

17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    4k TV. When I set the video card to 4:2:0 when 10 or 12 bit is enabled at 1080p there's some kind of messed up looking weird chromatic aberration going on so 4:4:4 is the only option. In any case at 4k if HDMI UHD color is on I still get no picture no matter what color depth or sampling I have set.

18. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    My guess is that you might need to check into a repeater if you want lots of bandwidth.
    I'm no expert, but the faster you shoot stuff down a cable, then the shorter it needs to be, especially for serial connections as you will get some bounce back.
    That's why USB3.1 cables should be shorter. At least that's how i understand it.
    It's not just a wire that will transfer the electricity but also that the electronics are expecting stuff to come at a specific rate.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I think this is definatly a cable issue, i am going to see if i can get 4k60 4:4:4, 4:2:2 UHD with HDR, with the Xbox one HDMI cable, because with the cable i am using would only work in 4k60 4:2:0.

I have two Xbox one offical cables, i will join them and see if they do all of the above, at least if it works you got some idea of a cable that wil do it. ;)

Oh and i will only be able to test static HDR as i have a 970. :(

Well they worked perfectly, 4k60 4:4:4, 4:2:2 UHD dynamic range on full, BUT, my 970 can't do full HDR i think, but i know the Xbox slim worked on all these setting when i tried streaming some HDR content via Netflix, and it did look fantastic, and the HDR thing popped up to tell me HDR was working, and you could see it, same with FH3 and Gears on the Xb1 slim, but these games are upscaled to 4k, so i am usure if thats till counts, but i would say that at least these cables can seem to do the job. ha

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I know it's a cable issue. I tested my XB1 cable and it worked just fine. The problem lies in finding a working 30 foot cable.