ATI 3D Drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RAJ-rios, May 7, 2012.

1. RAJ-rios

RAJ-rios Guest

GPU:
    HD4650 in need of upgrade
    Experts only

Hey everyone, I've been searching around like crazy and can't get any confirmation on this. I'm buying a new video card to support 2 VGA monitors and my HDMI 1.4 3D HDTV. Does ATI now support 3D displays? Or are they still making you pay 200 for Tri-Def software?

I am setting up a triple display machine with 2 matching 19'' LCD screens, and a 47'' PASSIVE 3D HDTV. I've asked for a lot of help in other forums, please don't mock the TV, it actually works great and I don't get ****ty FPS in each eye because it is PASSIVE, I repeat PASSIVE.

My budget is 100-250 USD, 100-250€, or 100-220£. I have only 1 PCI-e slot.

I understand that NVidia offers better 3D support, but they don't have support for 3 monitors like ATI does. There is one, the GF GTX 560 MULTIVIEW 1GB DDR5, but it only supports 3 monitors if 2 are HDMI.

I am used to ATI drivers being sub par, but I am hopeful that with the new wave of 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx etc. they have upped their game, and read a rumor they no longer required you to buy 3rd part software. I currently am using a 4650 so I am 1 series too low to test this.

I am not a hard core PC gamer, I just want some pretty graphics on games like Tera or Diablo or some older flight simulators.

Please help! Thank you!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    All I can say is you can only hope for newer games supporting native 3D like Crysis 2 does, or BF3 but only for Nvidia cards (I could really bitch about it). TriDef works fine for some games, but since they have not released a 64-bit version of TriDef you will be CPU bottlenecked everywhere, like getting 20 FPS in Skyrim when you would get 60+ without 3D. However, when watching Blu-rays HD3D works fine, and native 3D support is not that much of a performance hit.

3. RAJ-rios

RAJ-rios Guest

GPU:
    So am I out of luck if I don't want to pay for 3rd party software like Tri-Def? And BF3 only works in 3D if I have an NVidia card?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How does not being 64bit affect CPU bottlenecking?

OP- if the game doesn't natively support 3D and you don't have active 3D display then you need the 3rd party software.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/hd3d.aspx

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/3d-desktop-graphics.aspx#1

5. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
  6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nah it has no effect on the CPU, only difference it would make is being able to use over 3GB memory.

The threads you linked to don't mention anything about CPU bottlenecking that I can see.
    Those guys posting there don't know what they're talking about....there are only around 4-5 64bit games out and that's it.

7. RAJ-rios

RAJ-rios Guest

GPU:
  8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    The new Geforce 600 series supports 3 monitors.

9. RAJ-rios

RAJ-rios Guest

GPU:
    They're also well out of my price range :S

10. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    I am not sure, but would 2 cards help in your case? You don't even need to run em in CFX or SLI, but I am not sure. It's just an idea I had, maybe somebody can clarify?

11. RAJ-rios

RAJ-rios Guest

GPU:
    I only have the 1 PCI-e slot though. I think I'll just get an NVidia card now, then if I have to have 3 displays add on another card later, with a new motherboard. It seems like my only viable option. Or can I use an NVidia for my main gaming display and 3D TV, and a cheap PCI card for my browser?

12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You could always try IZ3D, it's free and supports many makes of cards.

Just expect the usual frame drops.

13. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

Just for reference, AMD does support HD3D. Developers don't, though, so only Deus Ex HR has it built in, and a selection of BluRay players. Rather remeniscent of PhysX, if I'm to be honest....

LG's 3D Flatrons come with TriDef3D, though, if that helps you. They're passive screens - which may or may not be something that bothers you.

14. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    iZ3D is not free. It just has a free trial period. ;)

15. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    It must have a hell of a trial on it. Unless I have a free beta version.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AMD don't support HD3D at all, not through drivers, software or hardware (except a very few gfx cards), this is all done by 3rd party sources namely iZ3D.

It doesn't really matter if game/app developers don't endorse it either it because Stereoscopic 3D can be added afterwards except in the case of PDVD I think...

Just seen a statement from iZ3D and it seems they're not going to be working on the drivers much longer trying to get it open source....

17. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  19. ralphjayson

ralphjayson Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 3GB 7950 OE
    if amd doesnt support hd3d then why could I play crysis 2 on 3d mode side by side and bf3 in 3d without iz3d or tridef?

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Obviously you have an active 3D display. Nothing to do with AMD.