770 Overclocking the Memory with Afterburner?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CronosX9x9X, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    :stewpid: I must be stupid or something because with gpu-z I'm seeing memory at 1753mhz I'm kinda at a loss to figure out how to maybe get to 8ghz on the ram and figure out what increments to start at like 7200 then 7500 and etc til I hit it's max can anyone explain to me how to overclock this cards memory please?

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    In afterburner you double the number it gives you for the MEM. In GPU-z you have to multiply the number by four 1753x4=7012 or 7Ghz effective. Example in AB or precisionX setting MEM to +500 will add 1Ghz of speed to the VRAM and will show ~2000 in GPU-z.

3. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Thank you I was definitely not gonna get that til someone helped me. Thank you so much.

4. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Friendly advice, dont touch the memory it is completely unnecessery on 700 series and Titan, because of the retarded TDP limit.

Just OC the core as much as you can, and then add the voltage if you want for an additional slight boost, if you dont want to touch the voltage just leave it @stock.

TDP is the biggest problem here and they just ruined the cards potential by limiting it so much.

EDIT: Only solution to this is using a modded BIOS which I found quite interesting, but then I was hitting unstable OC's over 1200+ on core clock, but could push the memory way beyond 6500mhz, which I found also unnecessary.

Also the difference between an easily obtainable 1176 on core, without touching the voltage and 1202+ with modded BIOS and an extra one Ghz on the memory was a sloppy 3 FPS for me in most game bechmarks and Unigine 4.0...

Just a heads up with the edit so that you know what you get out of torturing the card.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's only true on the Titan and 780 the 770 is still a 256 memory bus so the OC on the memory is still very beneficial, also the GK104 is not as power hungry as the GK110 so no TDP limit worries.

6. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    But how, isnt the 700 series also limited by TDP in MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision?

EDIT: I meant the whole 700 series not just 780 and Titan...

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No more than your old 680 you used to have the 770 is the same GPU as the 680 with higher quality VRAM hence the factory 7Ghz. lots of people are hitting ~1250/8000 in the 770 thread. the reason that the memory overclock is not beneficial to the 780 and Titan is because of the 384 bit memory bus its effective data transfer rate at stock clock would mean a 256 bit bus having to be clocked at about 9Ghz.

8. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Wow Hey I've been playing Farcry 3 at 7600mhz on the memory I don't see black artifacts but the grass shadows look odd like the shadows arn't displaying correctly and some of the main human models have a slight black shroud around parts of their bodies is this normal to see in the game?

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The memory on the 770s is sick. Even with my 4GB cards, I can hit 7.8ghz with no artifacts. I can probably do 8ghz as well, but I don't want to push it too far.

Usually I have my cards clocked to 1267 and 7.7ghz memory during games, and I find that the extra memory bandwidth helps in Crysis 3.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Back the clock down a bit and see if it goes away I don't have the game myself to try though.

11. TTtimzr

TTtimzr Guest

GPU:
    Evga&Msi GTX 780 sli
    I get this all the time on my 780, even on stock clocks, remember reading somewhere this is just issue's with the game not your oc, unless you get it in other games then it is just the way far cry behaves

12. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    It actually is just the way the shadows behave in dark segments of the game nothing to odd to deal with though. Although with everything max I was having dips and studders in far cry it would be 57fps then dip below 30 at times in the map I put down the shadows to medium it fixed the problem getting 55-60fps v sync on with 2x aa not to bad. Diablo 3 fluctuates only 10 mins then it's constant 60fps don't know why.

Out of every review it's what I expected for performance if I would have gotten the 4gb would it made a difference in shadows and aa or would it just add a couple frames, idk but I got it stable 1250 core 7600 memory need to try 7800 mem today I'll update.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would try for 8ghz just take it up a little at a time and test with heaven 4 and valley 1.0

14. TTtimzr

TTtimzr Guest

GPU:
    Evga&Msi GTX 780 sli
    Will give this a try, i occasionally get stutters so will try this and see if it helps

Have seen in reviews 770's nearly all hitting at least 7.8ghz

15. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah I was getting white artifacts in the beard of the main guy helping you in the sunlight they where white don't know if that was really artifacts but it was constant enough for me to think so. Everything else ran fine though at 8ghz mem except for those white artifacts never saw any black