What are the CONS of buying a "closed loop CPU coolers"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by saberwolf, Jul 14, 2014.

1. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    [​IMG]

My brother told me something that I did not know, he said that being that these things are closed looped coolers you can't replace the water in them cause they can't be opened that debris builds up inside of them over time.

An because of this, you would have to replace the of cooling unit (between a 2-3 yr periord) being you cannot get at the solution inside to change it.

I personally don't think it's worth it to but one of these CPU coolers with the intentions of having to replace it every two or three yr, being some are like over $100 bucks a pop! :shock:

Can I get some feed back on this?

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    My H100i randomly died on me after about 2 months. Never getting another one after that.

3. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    Why? What happened? An did you get your money back?

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yeah got a replacement, ebayed that sealed. Went back to my old NH-D14.

5. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    All of the Corsair Hydro Series come with a 5 year guarantee so even if this is true then you can just send it back and get a new one.

Pretty sure it's not true though.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes, most of them are completely sealed and can't be refilled. They don't have to be replaced every 2-3 years though....that's a myth. Debris does not build up in closed loop systems....and if it does, the pump came apart.

There are some "closed loop" water cooling systems that are fully serviceable. The Coolermaster Glacer 204L is an expandable "closed loop" system that can be easily refilled at any time as well as having other components added to it.

The only CON of the Glacer 240L, is the waterblock fitment.... You need a motherboard with a lot of open space around the CPU socket.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    iirc the Swiftech H220/H320 can be disconnected / expanded

---------
    The H220 differentiates differentiates itself from other AIO's by its ability to support additional liquid cooled components such as graphics cards, chipset, and/or additional radiator(s).

• From a practical standpoint, this is possible thanks to:
      • The presence of a reservoir including a fill-port built into the radiator so that the system can be easily emptied or refilled by the user at will,
      • Enthusiast grade 5/8” OD black PVC tubing fastened to swivel fittings with an elegant clamping system that users can easily remove and safely re-install.
    • From a thermal performance standpoint, this is made possible by:
      • The high thermal capacity of the dual 120mm copper and brass radiator
      • The powerful high-pressure pump capable of driving sufficient flow to cool multiple devices in the loop.

8. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    Well with all open custom loop systems it's recommended that you swap out the reservoir an bleed the system every 2 or 3 yrs (an that's also with non-corrosive solutions) with the buildup of nickel an mineral deposits an such, so I do see that happening with a closed looped system.

I just found out that some single unit water blocks do come with some swappable reservoirs (like the swiftech h220) but it kinda makes you think is it really worth the price in investing a single loop design being you are extremely limited compared to a custom loop.

---EDIT----

Sorry! did not see you above guys that replied when I wrote this :bang:

Thanx! sykozis! That Cooler Master Glacer 240L Liquid CPU Cooler looks like a real deal

Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103196
    :) (an it's maintainable) compared to tthe swifttech h220 which looks like it's really over priced. :puke2:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Glacer 240L is the same as the H220....just Coolermaster branded.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I have a friend who has been using a cheap cooler master closed loop water cooler for about 4 years now, no issues.

I've got myself a cheap Thermaltake one, been loving it.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea... you're not going to really get any "build-up" of stuff in a closed loop... simply because it's a closed loop. There isn't anywhere for dust or anything to get into it, so that's not a concern... and i'm pretty sure they're going to use a similar metal in the block that's in the radiator to eliminate the possibility of any funky stuff that could go on with mixed metals.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have Corsair H90 with custom 2x PP fans and its been ok for over a good year now.

Although kinda wish I had a 280mm now, had a chance back then but decided not to.. lol would have a much bigger temp. headroom, at least 6-7 °C :eek:c:

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's more likely debris will build up in open systems than closed systems. The assumption seems to be that closed systems use water as the coolant, I believe they actually use a special coolant with anti corrosion and anti fungal/bacteria solution in it. Although this slightly reduces the cooling ability of the water, it does mean it protects the system and the water lasts much longer. I believe they also add a wetting solution, like you can get for cars, that reduces the surface tension of the water and improves cooling capability.

Having just water in the system means higher system corrosion, resulting in higher amounts of dissolved metal crap. The temperature that computer chopping systems operate at is also highly conducive to fungal and bacterial growth, further crapifying the water.

It's not that open lol is bad, it's just they're enthusiast products. This level of enthusiast probably wouldn't go a few years without replacing the cooling system and other disassemble/assemble tasks.

A good closed loop system does last, but like with anything it doesn't mean there isn't the occasional issue.

14. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I've had two H100i's in a year first one the LED died (Pre 4Pin fans) and second one the Y splitter ports came out both where replaced with brand new units they also gave me a damages claims form due to it pulling my CPU out the socket and damaging the pins.

Corsairs H80i/H100i the software what they use known as corsair link is basically garbage and rarely works correctly sorry but all reviews daisy coat this side of the coolers. The software works but is extremely buggy example last version no longer shows the correct cpu temperature on AMD chips.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im still on my first h70 kit since sept 2010. still going strong.

16. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    They are still way cheaper than a custom water cooling setup and anyway a lot of people would most likely upgrade the cooler to a newer model before they get that old perhaps?

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you don't like the Corsair series, you can always go an NZXT Kraken X61 or Coolermaster Nepton 240L.

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The Swiftech H220X is the one I'm waiting for. Should be on sale any day now. Check here http://www.swiftech.com/ Scroll down to the Video.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also there are some closed looped coolers that are customizable where you can add your own tubing, but I forget the brands that do this. I am planning on getting an h110 with my new rig because I want a less intrusive cooler that does not interfere with my RAM slots.

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There are cons with every closed looped AIO. The main one being that it has the possibility of leaking.