Total Biscuit Vs CR Infringement Based YT Censorship

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Humanoid_1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I was very happy to see this move by Total Biscuit, I have been slowly getting more and more annoyed with companies abusing Copyright Infringement claims as a tool to censor critical reviews or prevent people showing fair use videos.

Worst part is the frivolous endangerment of peoples youtube accounts and in some cases livelihoods, especially of the smaller channels.
    - in some cases those companies could just Ask ffs... -.-"

Help Spread the word to make a Bigger Splash and maybe get a change started!

This video is no longer available: The Day One Garry's Incident Incident

Doing pretty well already, was posted on the 20th and already has over 1 million views :)

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I see both sides of the arguement here.

And while I don't 100% agree with the developer, I will not support anything Total Biscuit does. So I really don't care about this.

3. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    It's not just TB who is affected by this you know?
    Many small youtube channels are closed because some devs didn't like criticism.

The thing is, you can just accuse everyone for "stealing" your stuff. Youtube doesn't check this. They just delete the video and that's it. If that happens 3 times, you're banned from youtube.

Even if you don't agree with TB in any way, you just have to agree with him in that matter.

Youtube has to change some things.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

I agree. The way it is with YouTube at the moment, small channels are badbly effected, and forced to give positive reviews because they fear being closed down. Which is very wrong.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I got banned from that devs forum for that reason TB put "Harass Developer" now I've been unbanned but it's very clear that they don't like criticism at all and now they've made things even worse

I'm surprised BirgirPall didn't have his vid taken down too

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    To make it quick: (i read the whole story this morning..)

Just another prove how yt sucks, the game sucks, also the dev/s for their move, good one..

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    To be fair, TotalBiscuit is profiting off of showing what was apparently not the final version of the game. I would be mad too if that was my game, but if the developer really cared that much then they shouldn't have sent review code out. Especially not to him.

Regardless, it still is copyrighted material so technically the developer has every right to pull it down.

10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

did u watch his video?
    as far as i know he didnt monitize it..so..
    just watch teh video and u will see..he even got it allowed from the dev and so on...

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Is that how copyright works? They gave him permission (they actively and knowingly assisted in creation of the video by providing the review code). And the "content" in question is very close to being a review.

Take this outside of youtube context and into more traditional medium, like magazine for example. Can you imagine any magazines being sued for copyright infringement because they put up an article about a popular product?

That just looks very off from how I imagined copyright laws to work in most nations.

I'm pretty certain that TB monetizes pretty much all the videos he make unless he states otherwise (and he didn't state that original WTF is of Garry's Incident was not monetized). This is his profession afterall.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    TB is donating the money he makes from this video to the EFF.

Used to hate TB, now I check with him before I make many(not all) purchases.

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    They have now locked down their forums so you can only post if you own the game :puke2:

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    the day that his channel gets shut down will be the day i stop using youtube.

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    hehe
    I might point out that the game code he reviewed was Full Release provided through Steam
    ...so he said during his original review.

He did monitize the video - but he also told the developers he would do so before making the video.

But he is now donating All the money earned from this "Incident" to the Electronic Frontier Foundation :)

Here is a link to the original review :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames

I am guessing his original youtube one is still barred.

For a full release game that has received 3 patches... that is Truly Shockingly Crap.
    Sure he is a bit negative easily, but this one deserved it in the end.

(I thought it was an Early Beta or even Alpha while watching it at 1st...)

EDIT: shame really, because like TB I Could have enjoyed a game like this...

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    +1
    Amen to That "(.)(.)" :)

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    One of my best friends makes youtube videos, his channel is semi popular but his videos are extremely popular for how small his channel is. Just type in Batman Arkham City into youtube, his video is the TOP link!

He makes Game movies, he records the footage of a game (mainly console games) and edits the footage to make it flow like an actual movie.

He has been offered numerous times by youtube themselves and other third parties to become a partner and get paid for his work. But he simply does it for fun and does not want the hassle of companies taking his work down.

He did Dante's Inferno, and uploaded it. With this single video he was beating BBC, and X-Factor on youtube for views and was ranked #4 in the world for most watched video. That video was then taken down and he got a strike on his account and he was banned for three months for uploading any videos longer than 15 minutes long. Obviously his videos are around two - three hours long. If he was relying on youtube for income he would have lost of TON of money from that.

He has said time and time again that he does not want to get paid for it though, as he feels like he will be profiting off someone else's work and he is scared because he does not own the copyright to the game and does not want to get taken to court because of it as he has two kids now.

I do think though that youtube themselves are kind of the piggy in the middle with all this, they have to keep the copyright owners happy or risk being taken to court and paying out A LOT of money or risk been taken to court by a small single individual who owns no copyright... who would you rather keep happy?

18. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    TotalBiscuit 1 - Wild Games Studios 0.

The video is back up. TotalBiscuit was right of course. The copyright claim was just to silence his opinion. Can't stand that.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    TB butthurt, get over it man and crack on

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)