Internet speeds stuck at 120Mbps/13.7MBps

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by BuildeR2, May 17, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you download multiple files at once to try and max the connection?

Well you know you're not limited to 13.7MB/s on everything then, sounds like http has the problem, not sure what speedtests use, would have thought http too though

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes. I did 2, then 3, then 4 at the same time. It split the 30-45MBps between them but would not go over that. That is much better than 13.7MBps, so at least not everything is stuck at that level. Uplay is still stuck no matter what I do, but for some odd reason I got up to 54MBps in Steam *after* I changed the download server to somewhere in Canada!

I'm going to have a nice long chat with a high level Google Fiber tech in the next day or so. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions so far.

EDIT - I changed the Steam download server to Vancouver and holy crap it is fast now! I'm falling asleep at my computer so I'll leave you with this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Sorry if I missed it, but have you tried sending file within LAN between PCs to bench network speed?

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes. All wired computers can do ~100MBps over the LAN with no issue. This problem is just with downloading from the internet and every other program except Steam now. Off to bed with me, I'll update some tomorrow.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    This implys the issue is not your end its the servers you connecting too that are limiting you

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    That could certainly be the issue, or some kind of shaping based on protocol by my ISP. It is still strange to me that downloading a file from MS at 13.7MBps, then starting up a download on Uplay makes them fight over that 13.7MBps. It seems to me like the download would keep its needs separate from other programs and servers, like I'm able to do with Steam now. There is no way that a Windows 10 update file and The Crew's install files are coming from the same server, right?

I've gotten to where Uplay and all other programs fight over 13.7MBps while Steam happily downloads at 50+MBps at the same time. I'm going to keep doing some testing on my end and also keep trying to find a tech at Google who knows what is going on.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Wondering if this would shed any light on things

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Needs Java

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ISP packet shaping could be cause, not really sure much can be done about that, maybe using proxys get around that

I pretty sure almost all ISP are in some way doing this among other things,

I seen videos of people with google fiber that have unrestricted d/l speeds showing 200+mbit on psn d/l's while many people complain about there d/l speeds dont come close to actual maxed, I have 200mbit but i only get 25-40mbit wirelessly on ps4 and ironically wired the speeds are even worse and wired on ps3 is like 20mbit if lucky.

I dont think the internet infrastructure is capable of do unfetter download speed for all, well no i take it back i think most of it can is just isp dont cant it to cause if the control the speeds and enforce limite they can dicated the prices for the said speeds much easier.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    That looks quite interesting. I'll run it in a bit. Also, regarding your comment above about a torrent, I loaded up the most recent Linux ISO and it was able to sustain an upload speed of about 8MBps with a peak of 9MBps. So not even up to what my browser or Uplay can do thus far.

I have seen something about using a proxy or CheatEngine to make Uplay download faster. The CE method did not work for me, and made it slower. I haven't messed around with proxy stuff yet.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I use pull my hair out trying to fiqure out why psn d/l speed suck ass and ways to fix, I gave up and accept the fact PSN sucks and there download speed always will. I only have 200mbit and most ever I download reach those speeds for most part, short of psn downloads.

But I would be pissed if I was paying for 1gbit and not even geting 200mbit on most places, Optimum only has 400/40mbit as max there parent company is supposedly doing FTTP which should do 1gbit, but dont even want to know what they will charge, It would be nice if the say upgrade there 100~200~400mbit tiers to 300~500-1gbit and keep there prices the same but highly doubt that will happen.

Then again reports from there parent company, claim they can do 1gbit per house at $ 26 euro which is like 28$ us, I would kill for internet at those prices and those speeds I think most of us would.

Last edited: May 19, 2017

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Don't have a PS3 or 4, but I did notice that downloads take the same amount of time on my X360 and X1 since upgrading from TWC to Google Fiber. I don't play them nearly as often as my PC, which is why I'm trying to fix the PC side first.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Alright, here we go. Full Netalyzr results and IP test thrown in for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what the yellow things mean or if I can do anything about them. Still having the 120Mbps/13.7MBps issues with everything but Steam and Gigabit FTP server downloads.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Looks pretty clear of problems, the DNS one you could probably fix by moving to a non ISP DNS such as Googles or OpenDNS

I have no experience with IPv6 so can't help out there

14. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Im with extraordinary,

When I was using a US dns for netflix US and I went back to Now TV (UK) the streaming was terrible, all because of a DNS connection.

check that you are using either google or OpenDNS

Google DNS 1 : 4.4.4.4
    Google DNS 2 : 8.8.8.8

Open DNS 1: 208.67.222.222
    Open DNS 2: 208.67.220.220

good luck

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hmm, I didn't think to change something as simple as DNS servers to fix speed issues with certain types of traffic or certain websites. I'll try changing DNS stuff when I get home, but how exactly would I change to Google's DNS servers? I'm using Google Fiber! Haha, maybe they don't use their own DNS servers? I'll have to check that when I get home.

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    maybe preconfigured pipes on the router for port 80/443 traffic.
    i don't know how complex policy based piping/queuing can be configured on those boxes but if you can find anything about port based QoS ... you should enable that.
    and reset any attached priorities of the ports.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hello all! I figured I would update you as to the outcome of this thread. I want to keep this short and sweet, so here we go. After trying all of the suggestions in this thread, which were greatly appreciated, nothing seemed to help. I also tried 3 different drivers for my NIC and changing DNS stuff in the router but to no avail. I had just thrown in the towel for now and was "putting up" with stuff being stuck at 120Mbps/13.7MBps.

A few days ago I thought I would try moving from the Windows 10 Anniversary update to the Creators update. I made a full backup with Acronis and proceeded to do the upgrade via Windows Update. After it was done I looked around in the new settings for a while, then went to download a few games from various services. To my complete surprise all of them (Steam, Uplay, GOG Galaxy, Firefox, Windows Store) were all downloading way past 13.7MBps! Firefox and Uplay are ~40MBps, Windows Store and GOG are ~60MBps while Steam takes the cake 90+MBps.

I guess something in the Creators update made the difference. I've spent enough time on this whole debacle that I'm not going to try and investigate to pin down what made the change, I'm just happy that it works. Thanks for all the thoughtful help and suggestions, fellow Gurus!

[​IMG]

18. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Sounds like the problem i had.
    My old router did not have a good enough cpu to handle the traffic at higher speed (asus rt-n66u)
    You need a good quad core router to handle the traffic with gigabit.
    (I still use my old router as a ap point to extend my wifi, but it do not handle the bulk of the traffic)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    did you not read his last response? he said it wasnt the router, it was Windows it self

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    At one point a couple weeks ago I was about to replace the standard GFiber router to see if that was the weak link. Turns out it is just fine and dandy for my networking needs.

Correct. Moving from Win 10 version 1607 to 1703 was the ONLY thing that was changed recently. As of 2 weeks ago, when I just decided to leave it all alone, I stopped changing or tweaking anything. Did a full backup and decided to try the newest Win 10 and everything started working just fine. I even checked my Intel Gbit NIC driver and it is the same that I had before upgrading the OS. At this point it sure seems like something in the 1607 version of Windows was not playing nice or could have been configured incorrectly. Hard to know at this point, but I'm just glad it works!