The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    someone on [H] did some thermal/electrical testing on his 1700 with an old thermalright & found that voltage past ~1.37ish iirc increased power draw significantly, but yet the VRM heatsinks on his asus b350 prime plus were only in the 60s?? measured with IR...mosfets dont have to overheat to crap out or just fluctuate...but thats usually when they do it. so im at a loss to explain his preliminary findings succinctly.

as long as you dont have to pump tooooo much voltage through your chip, & as long as MSI b350 power phases are decent, then yes, itd be reasonable for you to expect the board to run your chip @~3.9ghz ballpark on air (as long as the silicon is capable of it in the first place)

tl;dr itll probably be fine but im not going to try it :p

2. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    I saw this on another forum, it's a voltage / mhz chart for the process that Ryzen is built on. Basically it is pretty linear up to 3.3Ghz which is the sweet spot for power usage, after that the voltage needed starts to ramp up and after 4Ghz really shoots up.

[​IMG]

TBH it's looking like 4Ghz is is probably a nice spot for 24/7 OC, as you go higher you're likely to need proper watercooling to keep the heat at bay.

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I played NFS and Diablo (reaper of souls) with and without SMT (same Scene more or less) -> no visible difference!

Edit, that was not SMT, only cores disable/enable!! Cannot find SMT yet in the bios, can be that is not available for MSI B350 Tomawk yet!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X

5. elijahk33

elijahk33 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 380X
  6. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    What BIOS are you guys currently running?

I tried the 5704 beta for my Crosshair VI but was irritated by the wrong temp readings that have already been discussed here. With the 0702 version the readings are as expected.

As for memory atm I can't seem to get my ram working at above default speeds, which is unfortunate ;)

7. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    cannot find SMT enable/disable in bios! Where is that function or how it's called? I disabled C6 state and no difference in Valley Benchmark (@720p)!

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I'm runing Version 1, there is no update from MSI yet. I hope MSI will fix the temps readings too!

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for the updates , pictures , windows tweaking /registry editing findings and feedback guys :) . @ __hollywood|meo awesome cpu , looking forward to your results as well. Nice looking Ryzen build you got there @ Kohlendioxidus.

I will leave those windows tweaking / registry editing to the experts on software , keep posting your finding guys as i'm not that tech savy when it comes to windows 10 tweaking / registry editing in order to extract more performance in windows OS. I will stick to what i'm good at ( hardware ) , and that's extracting the maximum performance in pure hardware overclocking. Keep up the good work guys , let's keep the ball rolling. Very exciting and fun times ahead !

I have an idea that might really help everybody concerning cpu and memory overclock and performance , we need raw data. I will be doing a spreadsheet ( Soon Hopefully ) in the overclocking guide with everybody's 24/7 stable cpu overclocking , memory overclocking , cpu used R7 1700 - x1700 - x1800 & v.Core used , motherboard used as well as memory overclocking , speeds and timings used & voltage + memory type ICs and density ( Samsung B-die , C -die , D-die : Hynix AFR and MFR : Micron ) , dual channel , 2 memory slot populated and 4 slot populated.

In my quest to find how to squeezed every bit of performance out of our Ryzen platform , i'm following closely at Jon ( Elmor's tread at hwbot ) - http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=167530&page=3 where he has posted a set of pictures with data regarding performance gain across memory speeds and timings scaling. It seems the sweet spot it's at DDR4-2666~2933 Cas 12-13 or 14 where the performance its at middle ground and plateau. Higher performance can be achieved with higher memory clocks that keep scaling but it will be a balancing act with lots of tweaking and higher voltages involved hence it will be hard to obtain such clocks for everybody.

So realistically speaking let's aim for DDR4-2666~2933Mhz be it Cas 12-13 or 14 , better results is DDR4-3200Mhz Cas 14 , absolutely best results is DDR4-3466Mhz Cas 14. Ryzen memory controller it's very very efficient even at lower memory speeds , so do not sweat it if you cannot reach very high speeds ( Mhz ) memory wise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup :)

Now we need to wait until Windows understands ZEN uArch
    So next week patch ;)

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero X370 VRM Analysis with Buildzoid

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    SB#8: Overclocking AMD Ryzen 7 1800X with ROG Crosshair VI Hero and G.SKILL Trident Z

13. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Why cannot get acces to SMT? Is this an issue with B350 chipset or only an bios update required:3eyes:?

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I started rising the RAM frequency:

- XMS Profile ofcourse is a NO GO.
    - I'm at 2400 CL16, tRCD 18, tRP 18, tRAS 36 and Looks to be stable.

The modules are rated at 3200 CL16, tRCD 18, tRP 18, tRAS 36

I'll try rising up as soon as I'm convinced is fully stable!

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm IMO you need new BIOS :)
    Or try to Play with RyZEN Master.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Give -> 3200 CL16, tRCD 18, tRP 18, tRAS 36 and 1.4v

17. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I'm @ 2667 CL16, tRCD 18, tRP 18, tRAS 36, small steps let's see where it goes :3eyes:, I'll be right back!

EDIT:

I'm @ 2933 CL16, tRCD 18, tRP 18, tRAS 36, tRC 69, 1T now and it looks to be stable. Voltages are on Auto (RAM is reported @1,328V). I throw at it a memtest as we speak to see if I get Errors. Cinebench returned almost 100 Points more on all cores compared with 2133!

Temps during Memtest:

- RAM Dimms are at 29°C
    - Voltage Regulators CPU @ 46°C

EDIT Again:

Memtest returned 0% Errors, I think I'm fine. I'll let the frequencies as they are at the Moment and see if I'm 101% :3eyes: stable before rising the bar again!

Benchies:
    AIDA64 v5.80.4000:
    Memory Read: 46183 MB/s no AIDA error Messages!
    Memory Write: 43901 MB/s no AIDA error Messages!
    Memory Copy: 38893 MB/s no AIDA error Messages!
    Memory Latency: 88,9 ns with an error message that AIDA is not optimised for my CPU:3eyes:.

CPU Queen: 82702 no AIDA error Messages!
    CPU PhotoWorxx: 20439 MPixel/s with an error message that AIDA is not optimised for my CPU:3eyes:.
    CPU ZLib: 685,6 MB/s no AIDA error Messages!
    CPU AES: 65130 MB/s with an error message that AIDA is not optimised for my CPU:3eyes:.
    CPU Hash: 22290 MB/s with an error message that AIDA is not optimised for my CPU:3eyes:. I love this test my CPU cracked everything on the list, actually almost broke the monitor frame on the right side :nerd:!

Let me know whyt you guys get!!!

18. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    getting back to temps, I Need to confirm that These CPU's are safe up to 95°C. The programed fan controllers are going up to 100°C with 100% spin above 75°C! 2 of the fan headers (Chasis fans) cannot start below 55°C actually and they go up to 100°C aswell.

19. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Phew, what an odyssey... BIOS flash failed, then nothing would work anymore, after using BIOS Flashback would not POST either. Finally found a newer beta version on the Asus forums and in a last desperate attempt tried it out. Was already preparing to RMA.

Anyway seems to work fine again though now the temperatur readings are a little weird again. What a relief :D

20. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Heads up and don't give up :nerd:. So was my weekend too (less bios updates as I don't have any), I just wanted to bench alot of games and couldn't do only a few as I spent time optimizing :3eyes:.

Problem is that you also find 0 Information/experience on the web, Windows is clearly not fully optimized for the CPU so you have issues following the Problem to the source. There are alot of settings that I do not understand I think I'll just wait a little and make myself smart in between:nerd:.

At least I have the impression that my rig is ROCK SOLID at the Moment. The fans are barrely spinning which indicates the CPU is very very efficient :wanker:.

As soon as you got stable, can you please check some AIDA numbers, the way I reported above?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.