2800+ Barton overclock

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jweston, Jun 9, 2004.

1. jweston

jweston Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 TD
    My mobo supports 400fsb and I've bought some PC3200 RAM.
    What can I expect to get out of my cpu? I can adjust voltage. Any advice on what to try? Or what temperatures are acceptable to run. Thanks for advice.

2. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    i say not above 50 degrees Celcius when idle, not above 55 while loading(unless the weather is around 30degrees:p) i just o/ced mine yesterday and it's running fine, first i putted the cpu fsb on 200, it didn't wanted to start up so i asked here and wildstyle gave me the advice to raise the voltages, so i did that step for step and now it's running very stable on XP3200+ speeds( 2.2ghz)

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What Arden said for the temps sounds about right (Nice 3200+ OC BTW :thumbup: )

First of all, jweston, we need to know if your CPU is unlocked or not? If it has an unlocked multi (go into the BIOS and try and change it) then you can raise the FSB and lower the multi, to get more performance, and you shouldn't even have to adjust vcore if you stayed at the same overall clock speed.
    So basically, if it's unlocked, you'll be able to drop the multi down to 10.5 and raise the FSB to 200 (keep RAM frequency in sync too) and that'd equal the same clock speed as you have now pretty much (so you shouldnt need to adjust voltages) and then you'd get the added performance bonus from the higher FSB.

Of course if you want to overclock further, increasing the multi to get more clock speed then that can be done too, but it'd need vcore increasing, so make sure you're cooling is upto the job before you try.

And if you want any clarification/assistance then post back here and we'll help. :)

Oh and if it's locked..... well, I'll explain that to you later ;)

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yup, and I reckon you should be able to reach somewhere around 2.4GHz, perhaps a bit less or more, with proper cooling. Most 2800's overclock pretty nice.

5. jweston

jweston Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 TD
    Thanks.It's brand new so I guesse it's locked. It's running at about 62C with demanding 3d games although I bought a coolermaster 3200 heatsink/fan. It's been suggested Artic Silver might bring this down but it looks like I can't overclock until I get temps down?
    I didn't realize that fsbus increased performance without increasing processor speed (thought it was just another way of changing speed) but I'm new to this stuff.
    So if I could keep it cool it should run OK at 400 with increased voltage?

6. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If it's locked, then you won't be able to push the FSB very far.
    This is because the FSB X multiplier = overall clock speed.
    Now, because you'd be locked @12.5x, you'd only be able to take the FSB up as far as your CPU could handle the clock speed. So you probably wouldn't be able to do 200x12.5 because the clock speed would be too much for the CPU too handle (2.5GHz), and even it could, it'd need one HELL of a lot of vcore to get there!

I think you should aim for 180x12.5 to start with, which would give you 2.25GHz. This would need a bit of extra vcore to make stable, but I can't tell you how much, you'd have to experiment.

However, don't do anything related to overclocking until you get some AS3/5 (the kings of thermal paste) and a better cooler. If you're on a budget then look at the Aero7 from Coolermaster.

I hope I explained that well enough for you, but as always if you have any questions, just ask. :)

7. jweston

jweston Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 TD
    Thanks, that's very clear. Looks like I need to sort the cooling. 180x12.5 looks pretty good to me anyway. Wish I'd bought a better fan- thought it would be enough as it is for 3200. Not much space in my case so I can't get anything that sticks up higher from mobo.

8. Rusty Clown

Rusty Clown Guest

if u get an aero7+, chuck the fan out and use a vantec tornado or delta fan ur looking at the best possible non-heatpipe cooling available

9. jweston

jweston Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 TD
    Thanks, I'll check that out, but first I'll try the Artic Silver. What do you use to clean the cpu first, and where do you get it?

10. MiNI

MiNI Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 unlock 950/1400
    i use tooth-pics, cue-tips, and a paper towel :D

11. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    you can use other things to clean it like nail polish remover, and metal ting sahped like a tooth pick, though could damage cpu but it cleans better.

12. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    Im running a 2800+ locked Barton @ 3200 at the moment. Im also running it stable at default vcore with idle temps about 46 and load about 50 or so. I have had it at around 2325 mhz, but it did require upping the vcore to 1.7v. I figured on a locked 2800 you should be able to easily get similar results with proper cooling, as I thought my results were actually below average OC for the CPU.

13. jweston

jweston Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6800 TD
    That's interesting. What cooling are you using? My idle temps are fine but when I play cpu intensive racing sims it's shooting up to mid 60s! (The weather is hot!)
    Is it Ok to use nail polish remover to clean the cpu ?
    Thanks.

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Best thing to use would be Isoprophyl, or some other kind of non abrasive, rubbing alcohol, used in conjunction with a lint free cloth... (In an ideal world.)

Edit: I can't spell, lol. ;)