7850 OC and yet more Black Screen Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Oohoo, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    Oh, sorry about that. I copied and pasted those specs from my original sapphire support ticket I sent last week. I updated to the beta3 drivers a couple of days ago and I still get blackscreens in games.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can you run a stress test on the CPU only?

3. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    I just finished a stress test and everything was fine until minute 58(during the 5min idle phase at the end) when my pc froze and became unresponsive... Ive noscreens/logs to show you but i took a pic with my camera - willupload in a bit...uuuuurrrggghhhh

4. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Can u rub the test again with AIDA64 as the monitor? Most of the readings were blank....5-10mins is long enough.

Btw the CPU temp seems high at 67c, any reason for this?

Another Q, did you ever adjust the voltage on the GPU at all?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    I did use Aida to monitor that time - no idea why the blank readings though - but Ill run it again as soon as my pc has finished doing chkdsk. The temp is probably partly due to the desktop being on the underheated floor but it my experience it never goes above 67 and is idle in the mid 30s.
    Ill test it again in the morning - got a 6am start tomorrow >_<

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    67c is pretty high for an FX. Is that taken from the core or cpu sensor?

The core sensor will have some silly reading at idle like 8c.....but it's quite accurate at high temps.

Is there any way the temp can be reduced at all for testing purposes? Even by removing the side panel or downclocking....vgpu/vcore and 12v ripple logs would help too.

It's best to eliminate the possibilities so you don't RMA for nothing.

8. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    It just says cpu on occt but its consistent with the temperatures i get from speedfan while ingame. Ill remove a sidepanel next time I test it. Since you mention RMA, I guess you do think its the gpu/gfx card then? Or could it still be the PSU?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I just meant it's best to know for sure so you don't RMA the wrong hardware.

If I was there in person we could have this sorted in 5mins, but as I'm not it will take a little longer. :)

10. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    Sure thing - Ill test again tomorrow with the sidepanels removed. Thanks again for all you help!

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Cool, np.

12. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    Hi, so I did the CPU test (7 mins, 5 mins stress time) with no issues and the CPU temperature results are below. Aida 64 doesn't give readings on those other two cpu cores so I don't know what's going on there. I didn't actually remove the sidepanels but my system is running really cool today (underfloor heating's off, and unlike yesterday, my pc hasn't been on all day) and it shows in the results.
    Do you need to see any of the other results?

http://tinypic.com/r/30sbx95/6

13. Keel4n

Keel4n Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7850 2GB

I have registered here because i am having exactly the same issues.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.30 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($91.68 @ Memory Express)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.42 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.96 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.45 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($219.50 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($71.75 @ Vuugo)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($107.32 @ NCIX)
    Other: Keyboard ($0.00)
    Other: Mouse ($0.00)
    Other: Monitor ($0.00)
    Total: $1014.38
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-08 12:23 EDT-0400)

I have tried different PSU, memtest on my ram, benchmarking with heaven benchmark, prime96. Underclocking the card. I have spent 2 days solid on this. I have no idea.

Currently i have put it in my AMD build and i'm going to run a benchmark for a couple of hours and see if it still gives me black screens. Some other forums suggest either a windows 8 conflict (but you have windows 7). Or my SSD (you don't have SSD).

Personally i think we have got bad cards.

My first card wouldn't even display multiple monitors the display ports were DOA. 2nd card crashes to black screen when gaming for 30 mins.

If you check around google and youtube many people have "7850 black screen" issues. I am just trying to narrow it down to my GPU so i know which component to RMA for sure.

14. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    I really wish I could RMA mine but things like that are so f-ing difficult to manage here in Korea..
    Besides, if it really is the card, I'd be happier swapping to a geforce 660 and a new PSU.

15. volly

volly Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Perhaps check your bios settings! Just double check that the mobo has the correct settings for your memory sticks. Also check and make sure that the pci bus (can't remember the correct term) is set to what would usually be 100 mhz.

16. Keel4n

Keel4n Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7850 2GB
    Sorry to hear that, that is unfortunate. But just a little update for you, i put this card in my AMD build:

AMD A4-5300
    MSI fm2-a55m-e35
    Crucial Ram

Ran a benchmark and once again the dreaded black screen. So i have RMA'd my card and it will be in the mail today.

Though this isn't a 7850 its 7870, they note that 7850's have been affected.
    http://www.behardware.com/news/12705/black-screens-and-radeon-hd7870-a-solution.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRt7WeC1L0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxf8TqlLuCU

There is a lot of these youtube videos.

17. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    Hi - dont mean to resurrect a deAd thread but just wanted to say for those who are curious that I replaced my psu today and managed the full screen dx11 psu test on OCCT with no issues - it looks like one oroblem, possibly the main one, has been solved. Thanks again for all your help and I hope somone else finds this helpful.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Cool, glad you got it sorted. :)

19. Oohoo

Oohoo Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC
    Never mind - just had another blackscreen in FarCry 3...
    Also noticed the new PSU is even more erratic than the last - but at least it survived the benchmark...
    I think I better just switch to nVidia...

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have this feeling that once something doesn't work straight out the box, it's not gonna work no matter what you try. shame about your card, what will you get next?