Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by VMax Tuner, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The update just downloads the latest PhysX software, which you have to install yourself, you'll find it in Steam/SteamApps/common/Mafia2/3rd.

If you havn't already uninstalled the previous one, then you have to run the latest one twice, as the first time you run it, it will just uninstall the previous, so you have to run it again, so that it will then install the latest. :)

2. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Hey guys, I just did a comparison out of curiosity between my rig and my laptop and thought I might post it. As you can see there isn`t much difference in the settings execpt for a little lower resolution, AF only at 8, no AA and PhysX turned off. I have to say since it`s only a 15.4" Screen you won`t even see that the resolution is lower and that AA is off. The only visual noticable difference is the AF. But keep in mind this is only a single 8800M GTX, so basically a 8800 GT. Not to forget, it`s a first generation AW M15x with drivers from the stone age 18X.XX!

3. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    259.32 tried

I just tried the new 259.32 drivers on Mafia 2 and for me there was no difference to the old drivers. But it`s SLI related and since a lot of single-card users found some improvement it`s definately worth a try!

4. azynkron

azynkron New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 460 GTX 768 SC
    I read somewhere that they recommend no lower than 9800GTX for Physx in Mafia 2 if you have it as a slave card. I have a 9800GT, and it does tend to get hickups every now and then. Could be the drivers though.

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah they reccomend a 260GTX for high, but i run the game on high fine.

6. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Really!? I only have a GT240 as a dedicated card and so far it runs great, at least in the Demo. Maybe in the full game I might push it to the limits. So I tend to think it might be driver related hickups because a 9800GT has more than double the shaders of my GT240!

7. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. cat_fish_1

cat_fish_1 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI|GTX 260 Physx
  9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I was thinking about a GT 240 max for Physx. Maybe I'll just wait and see if they can clear the situation with optimized drivers and a better working build of the game.

10. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    As far as I know PhysX performance is all based on the number and speed of Shaders since it basically is a CUDA Application so I would look out for that. I would have gotten myself something with more Shaders but you haven`t much options from a GT 240 upwards if you wanna have a single-slot card. I BIOS tweaked it so the card runs at 625/1522 Mhz on the GPU. As said I haven`t found a drawback so far!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Doesn't sound too bad ;) I did a search for cards with a good performance-per-watt ratio that were also available with passive cooling.
    To make it worth the effort a GT 240 woule need to give a bigger performance boost than for example overclocking the main graphics card and CPU up to the same increase in power consumption as the additional card would "cost".
    I guess I'll dig through some more benchmakrs and try it out :)

12. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Sure thing, but overclocking only works to a certain degree, after that you just turn up the heat on your GPU without any reasonable increase in performance.
    Since you seem to be from Germany I got this example:

http://www.hartware.de/news_49770.html

Cheers!:cheers:

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks ;) Yes I know there's a limit. The good thing with the 400 series is though that they have these software-controllable voltage regulators ;)
    For example I can run my card at 700MHz with 0.900V or 775MHz with 0.975V. The performance scales accordingly in this range but the "higher" setting consumes about 30-40W, depending on the application, more energy. If I can use those 40W and give it to a Physx card to get 30-40% more performance, this of course would be preferrable. It would have to be significantly faster due to the additional cost and limited use.

14. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Good point! But I had quite a few graphic-cards in my life like the Voodoo 2 and 3 and I used the Voodoo 3 for about 3 years in an overclocked state (200 Mhz with a converted P1 cooler on it....those where the times...) and it never made any problems. So I don`t think you would run into a "limited use" in terms of the lifespan of your GPU. I never have seen a GPU goin`up in smoke because it was used too long. But on the other hand you would always use the i.e. 40 additional Watts in a 3D application even if you play things like the old Half-Life, and that would just be a waste. The GT 240 clocks down in idle and according to the THG review then only uses around 15 Watts...but thats always the case even when its not used. So energy wise in the end its about the same I guess!

Cheers! :cheers:

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I don't think the card would bust but rather the CPU to limit a further performance increase at a certain point. Just like it makes sense to get a CPU with more cores instead of higher clock speeds at a certain point. I guess I'll just get a card and try it out when the game arrives. If I don't like it it won't be impossible to get rid of it again :)

16. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    I would try overclocking your primary card first and see if its sufficient enough to play the game fluidy but if not then i would buy an additional card. I guess you will have to buy a card because I don`t think a GTX 470 alone is enough, but you only can be certain about it when you`re trying it by game release.
    Wait and see I until then....

Cheers!
    :cheers:

17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Sounds like a good idea. I still have some reserve left for overclocking as both the card and the CPU have good cooling. 6 days left, time will tell :D

18. Snajlen

Snajlen Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix 1080ti
    im gettin a 112max 38 min "while the warehouse explodes" and an average of 50.8
    im playing with 1280x1024 2xaa 16x anisotropic all high "Apex Physx High"
    e8400@4ghz and a downlclocked gtx280 coz im baking it like 1 time everyweek
    gonna update soon to 2way sli 460

i used the physx tweak in order to play that high fps with physx on everything worked great. i deleted the Cloth Folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mafia ii - public demo\edit\APEX

if you delete Cloth folder u gain like 40/50 fps boost while playing with physx and the cloth still works great. if you dont believe me try by yourself play the demo go to the shop and buy the coat you will see the cloth still works but with 40/50 more fps :)

19. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Hey Guys... I just have seen that Mafia 2 Demo is updating again when I was launching Steam. I will try the benchmark again to see if something has changed. I`ll keep you posted....

20. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    ...and it seems that again they`ve optimized the code of the game since it`s getting an even more stable and fluid base-performance, so the frames are not dropping as low as before. Good thing! I hope they keep up this work when the full game is out!