Newbie getting ready to build a new computer !! Please help me!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nyrmetros, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Back in January and February I was seeing incredible ram deals every day on newegg. Not really seeing that now. And yes $100 for 16gb of ram is awesome considering what that would have cost a few years ago.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I also forgot to mention, I picked up weeks ago the Intel 320 series 120gb ssd for $85. How is this unit? I do not know anything about ssd yet.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Might be purchasing the corsair H80 cooler. Thoughts on this unit?

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Well the Corsair H80 is due to arrive on Saturday from Amazon for $84.99. I still would like to find a better deal on ram before I start building this. Oh and can someone tell me the best way to get win 7 operating on the new ssd from the 500gb drive?

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Corsair H80 just arrived! Can someone please guide me in how to transfer the operating system from my 500gb HDD to the new Intel SSD? Thanks!

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's generally recommended to do a clean install when switching from HDD to SSD to get the best performance from the SSD.

Not all of us have MicroCenter as an option. Their discounts usually don't apply to online sales and they won't ship most processors. Closest one to me is a 7hr round trip....

You can get 4GB of ram for $20.....so how are "the days of cheap ram" over? Looks to me like ram is extremely cheap.... I still remember when 1GB was well over $100.... Hell, first 1GB set I bought cost me around $250...

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    How would I go aboot that? I have no idea where my win xp system builders cd is and the Win 7 pro 64 cd I have is just for an upgrade.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Google. There's several guides for doing it...

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I found a spare Western Digital WD800JD lying around. Google claimed it is a 7200 rpm sata drive. I can use this for the OS on the Raidmax rig and put a WD 1tb green drive in it as well. I also have an old WD 160gb IDE drive. Should I consider using the IDE drive or has time passed it by?

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    So the new parts list as it stands now is:

Intel I5 3570k
    Asus P8 Z77 V Pro
    Corsair Vengeance 16 GB - 4 x 4 DDR3 1600
    Intel SSD 320 series 120 gb
    Corsair H 80
    EVGA 480

All of those parts are going inside the Antec 1200.

My current parts are now going into the Raidmax helios case. But here is my biggest concern. What's the best way to get win 7 working on the new ssd without doing a fresh install? I currently have a 500 gb WD caviar blue drive as my main HD. 50 gb of the OS and programs and 200 GB of games. I am not sure hot to manage all the different HD's and operating systems, because I still need a good HD and a OS inside the Helios case. Thoughts on what I should do?

Currently have a 500 gb, a 1 TB Green drive for multimedia in my Antec. Inside the the Helios I have a 70 gb 7200 rpm drive with win xp installed on it. I would like both systems to be running win 7 pro 64 bit. Can I purchase an inexpensive license from microsoft since I already on the win 7 pro DVD?

If you have any suggestions on anything please let me know.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Dude, honestly stop grouping it into one thread for all your builds...

Due to a chipset change, you need a fresh reinstall to get the best performance anyways.

deltatux

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Yea I was thinking about a fresh install, I just didn't want to spend a lot of time reinstalling the os, 20 gigs of programs, and 200 gigs of games and all of their saved files...

Do you approve of the parts list?

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I want to recommend you my current motherboard, should be cheaper than the ASUS board and gives you plenty of features.

deltatux

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Everything is bought already, no going back! :)

But now some issues. I ripped apart my current rig, and put all of the old parts into the Helios case. It's such a tight fit inside that the zalman 9700 heatsink had to be turned sideways! I went over the wiring 3 times, but the computer would not post.... I'm a bit nervous that something went wrong permanently..... I am taking everything out of the Helios case again and retracing everything..... Wish me luck!

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Bad news. Nothing works. :(
    Need to take a nap now. Be back in an hour with details.

17. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Did you get good heatsink contact after turning your zalman sideways?

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5

Lol ok update. I restored the E8400 system back inside the Antec 1200 and it works. Yay.

So I decided I can not work with a mid size case so I threw away the new Raidmax Helios case and bought the cooler master Haf X. I installed all the new parts into this case. This is where disaster is happening......

Inside the cooler master X is the seasonic 750 watt psu, IB 3570k, asus p8z77 pro, corsair vengeance ram 4x4 = 16gb ddr 3, corsair H80, evga 480, Intel SSD 320 series 120gb, WD 320 gb black drive, WD 1 tb green x2, and LG blueray burner.

I double and triple checked all the connections. When I turn on the computer the psu fan doesn't turn on. The bios loads and sais cpu fan error and then sais that the cpu temps are at 150 F!

I panicked and turned off the system. What diagnostic steps should I take first.?

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Okay I managed to solve the temperature issues. My error on the corsair H80 installation. But my other issue is the seasonic psu fan will not turn on. I tried the seasonic in both builds and it powered up both systems but the fan would not rotate. I then tried out the Antec 850 psu in both systems and it's fans worked fine. So my question is, did my seasonic 750 x die?

20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Faulty PSU? RMA it.

deltatux