G-Sync in the house!

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by southamptonfc, Jan 16, 2014.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It arrived early, wasn't expecting it till tomorrow.

I've just fired up BF4. It is A W E S O M E!

It runs ~90fps so you might not think GSync would benefit me so much but you'd be wrong, it's a wonderful experience, night and day compared to the old monitor running without VSYNC.

I was running a Viewsonic 120hz 1680x1050 before, now it's 1080p but the reduction in FPS feels like a huge increase, the lack of tearing makes the picture crystal clear and buttery smooth.

Yes it might be expensive and people have slagged off this ASUS monitor but in actual fact, it has a much better picture than the Viewsonic that I came from.

Believe the hype, GSync is the real deal!

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    haha nice one. :D

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Whats the difference running vsync on compared to gsync?

4. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I think the answer is zero unless your frame drops below the refresh rate of your monitor.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    so it benefits u even at 90 fps? it very useful for 120hz gamers like u me and others. Gsync is winner, but it need reduced price.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    no input lagg ?

7. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Yes please let us know if there is no input lag.

8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    This devil baby is awesome!!! they should make a sequel and we gonna use Gsync to view it

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    You apparently haven't looked into it. There is no locked framerate when running GSync. The benefit of it is that you can run the game, and whatever framerate it is capable of running at, the refresh rate of the MONITOR is synced to whatever the GPU is able to output, so that each frame is rendered. VSync locks the game framerate to your monitor refresh rate.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I know that I am asking for visual similarities or not

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Nice. I like that feeling with new hardware.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There is a big difference. You get input latency that is virtually the same as V-Sync off. That means, no more "floaty" mouse and stuff.

However, there are some limitations with G-Sync: it doesn't work in Windowed mode. There are games out there that don't run in proper fullscreen mode, but rather in "borderless fullscreen window" mode. "Runescape" is an example. Those games do not work with G-Sync. This also means that people who like to run their games in this "fake fullscreen" mode, will not be able to use G-Sync.

Another limitation is that input lag increases again if the game runs at too high a framerate. On a 144Hz monitor, if you get near 144FPS, you'll get the same input lag as with V-Sync. So games that cannot be framerate capped and run too fast will also not benefit. I dunno if the driver frame limiter works with G-Sync. If yes, it might be used to fix the problem by capping to something like 140FPS.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  13. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    That's cool, no tearing, no input lag and we can even cap the framerate to 30 and have a smooth experience. That's the way it's meant to be played. :D

But if you have a super computer that can give you a steady framerate, lets say 60, and if input lag is not important i would say that V-Sync still does its job perfectly.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    30 FPS with G-Sync looks exactly the same as 30 FPS on a 60Hz or 120Hz with V-Sync. That's because 30 is a divisor of 60 and 120.

So 30FPS is not going to magically become smooth. Things start to appear as very smooth somewhere near 45FPS though (I suppose this varies from person to person.) With 31FPS to 59FPS though, there's uneven frame doubling on 60/120Hz monitors because these values are not divisors of 60 or 120. This manifests as stutter (running 59FPS on 60Hz for example, results in a small stutter every 1 second, lowering FPS further introduces more stutters per second.) G-Sync fixes that.

Note that these stutters due to lower FPS than refresh rate are there even with V-Sync disabled. So it's not just people who usually use V-Sync that benefit from G-Sync.

Btw, BenQ announced new "G" monitors that already replace the just released "Z" models. Somewhere in Q1 2014, the XL2420G and XL2720G will be released, that will have G-Sync. So maybe it's best to hold on before buying a new monitor.

15. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    That sounds nice, any news on a decent IPS panel with G-Sync enabled?

16. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    I use a G sync monitor as well, and after playing with it i will never buy a monitor without g sync on it ever again, its pure awesome :)

Btw does anyone got a link to download that g sync "show off" demo with the pendulum clock ? Would like to check it out :)

17. zedundead

zedundead Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Friend has that vg248qe asus. He is not using it in 144Hz mode due to blur.
    He does same thing I do (me on XL2420T). Using it in 120Hz mode forcing lightboost (backlight strobing).
    Because as he says, on 144Hz it's blurry mess compared to 120Hz lightboost.
    And http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates confirms it.
    Too bad you can't test it with GSync, so you see difference.

But frame pacing is nice, tho minor upgrade to 120Hz screen anyway.
    If you had 60Hz till now then it's night and day for you. Wonder what would you say if you had side by side comparison of 120Hz LB vs 144Hz GSync.

19. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    There's no noticible input lag that I can detect.

20. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -