GTX 680 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by qwwwizx, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Don't have any need to change that. I get the clock speeds I want.

2. Xipe

Xipe Member

GPU:
    SLI 980GTX
  3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

NVIDIA is a chip designer. They don't even make their own chips; they have someone do it for them i.e. TSMC. Chips get made and shipped to card manufacturers for end cards. Now as far as the term reference design that gets thrown out a lot this is the ideal design that a chip designer envisions their chip working in. The chip designer will even have another company i.e Foxconn make some of these reference cards up for evaluation, sampling, and testing. Each card maker usually makes their own cards and follows the reference design, or they pay someone to make cards for them with their sticker slapped on it. Name Foxconn comes to mind again. ;) NVIDIA doesn't make any retail cards in-house, as it would be way too expensive and time consuming.

4. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Don't see the point of your post - everyone knows all of that. Is it that you think Frohman was saying Nvidia makes all the reference cards, ships them to the board partners, who then slap their stickers on?

5. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    I'm saying this because of what Kyle Bennett from Hardocp said when he published the review for the GTX680.

I bought mine at launch and the Gainward's were being sold at that moment as well. According to what he said, they should be built by nvidia.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Based on the info Frohman quoted, and his post you are correct.

7. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I think what he meant was designed by. Since all board partners at launch followed the reference design it adds weight to his statement. Either that or someone like Foxconn made all the reference cards and is shipping them on behalf of NVIDIA to board partners. Highly doubt it though cause it would crush margins, and doesn't make much sense as it would make binning nearly impossible.

8. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    He said the same thing in 2 different posts so I don't know what to think of it. Maybe Hilbert knows something more?

9. Xipe

Xipe Member

GPU:
    SLI 980GTX
    I have SLI 680GTX.

1 MSI: 1215mhz (+100 gpu/ +350 mem)

2 ASUS: 1175mhz (+100 gpu/ +350 mem)

If i put the evga bios in the asus, i will have 1215mhz? In asus card if i put +112 gpu, the card fail in 3dmark :(

10. Sanyo

Sanyo Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus gtx 580 DUII

11. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Oh you were saying Nvidia makes all the reference cards? Sorry Xtreme :rolleyes:

If Nvidia was paying someone to make all the boards, why would they want board partners? He definitely meant "designed" not "built".

Asus, msi, evga, zotac, gigabyte, etc: their bread and butter is pcb/mobo manufacturing. Nvidia sells gpus, not boards/cards.

You might try the evga sc bios. Have you flashed before?

12. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Power target 200% :bounce:

The sooner new Nibitor with 680 support comes out, the better. Til then, Saltius at mvktech can edit 680 bios for you. He will edit board power, max power target, base and boost clocks, fanspeed, but not voltage which is the key.

http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...view/id,62683/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,0/ (currently 19 pages)

13. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    Put the asus card to more then +100 till you find the spot where it clocks the same as the msi card. For me i have to run my second card at +126 to get the same mhz on both card while the first card runs at +100.

14. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Good news, max voltage can be tweaked. :banana:

15. Xipe

Xipe Member

GPU:
    SLI 980GTX
    But the second card, cant pass from the +106 :(
    Its normal in the asus? Only stable +106

16. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    I know but it confused me because of what Kyle said. He did say that all cards are the same except for the warranty/support. I suppose he meant that Nvidia specificly said to its board partners to use this, this and that. That's probably why all reference cards are the same.

17. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Huh? :3eyes:

Only with hardware mod afaik (solder)

18. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    Its just about luck, my one card can do +170 my other refuse higher then +140 then again a friends card wount do over +50 :/

19. SashaX

SashaX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX TITAN @ 1150 MHz
    Sh*t... :(

It will be impossible to surpass those limits even with cards that have custom pcb right now (i.e. Phantom or DCU Top), right?

20. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Anybody know it's related to my OC but sometimes very very rarely my Screens locks up in TERA & WoW then i Alt+Tab out of Game and get back in everything is normal again. Most of the time i can literally play 24/7 and sometimes the same error in minutes, but like i said its very rare, so i don't know if i just set it back to stock and wait for it to happen or just wait for new drivers, right now i'm using 301.25

Funny fact is that i don't get a Driver Recovery error or a GPU Clock issue like i had on my 580 so i guess it's maybe the drivers. Can ran Heaven @ Max (Extreme Tesselation + 1080p + 8xAA) for at least 30Minutes (didn't tried any longer)