Mouse dpi & screen resolution....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kam03, May 19, 2008.

1. kam03

kam03 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 @ 1150/1450
    Is mouse dpi & screen resolution related? How would you calculate it to get a 1:1 ratio?

Would you measure the screen size, then screen resolution to figure out the actual dpi of your screen, then match that with the dpi or is the actual screen dpi not important?

I've got an NEC 26" 1920x1200 res screen, which mouse dpi setting should i use? my mouse goes upto 4000dpi (Razer Lachesis).

Thanks

2. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Dont know how everybody does their own settings but i do following:
    1) USE high DPI setting of the mouse (G5)
    2) Lower windows mouse sensitivity if it goes to fast

IMHO its much better than low DPI and high sensitivity. If your mouse suppors it - use higher dpi settings

3. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I don't think a 1:1 ration is very practical. That would mean you would need a 19" space on your desk if you had a 19" monitor for example to reach every corner. I guess those professional mouse-pens have it thouth.

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Laser/optical mice have a greyscale camera inside which takes hundreds of images per second, the dpi of a mouse is the number of dots per inch in the image the camera takes.
    the polling rate in Hz is the number of images taken per second.

DPI is not the same as resolution, yes you can calculate the dpi of a screen, and you can calculate the dpi of the image processor in mouse, but they aren't really linked.

Higher dpi mice are more sensitive because they pick up smaller changes in position, i.e. smaller shifts of the image they are seeing.

There are differences depending on your screen size, but they are a bit more abstract, and mainly its a matter of personal preference. If you keep the same dpi but move to a higher resolution, you'll probably want more sensitivity, and vice versa for low res.

If you have a 4000 dpi mouse, you need to make a choice about how fast you want the cursor to move. If you are a twitch sort of player and like to flit all over the place like a lot of quake/UT guys, then whack up the dpi to 4000.

If you prefer slower movements then go with something in the 1400-2000 range.

Last edited: May 19, 2008

5. Rock99

Rock99 Member Guru

GPU:
    260GTX Core216 SLI
    i agree

6. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    +1
    That is exatcly what I do :)

7. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    -1, lowering windows sensitivity = skipping pixels, as does raising it (ie not accurate). leave windows sensitivity on the 6th notch (in the middle) and lower IN-GAME sensitivity to compensate for higher mouse dpi.

8. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    Still not an answer on the same question you asked on NvNews kam03, they are just a bunch of idiots over there, fu.. em all :D

And the Douchbag Magus, man how can they let that moron running loose. I have seen some nice guys over there just getting banned if they speak up to him, he on the other hand can say WTF he want's and they do nothing at all.

It's only a bunch of idiot's there as I said and I have had enough, will not say say a single world there annymore. let them morons and MikeC have there love. that site is a shame for Nvidia :biggun:

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  9. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Man I've used the same ball mouse for 10 years for every game and always loved it. The other day I upgraded to a laser G5 mouse and I dunno I can't get used to how smooth and quick it is, I prefered the slow stuff movement of my old mouse so I switched back and it serves me well in CS.

10. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    Can you prove this?
    I think the most natural explanation to higher or lower sensitivity in windows is the change of ratio of mouse cursor movement on screen to actual movement on the mousepad. E.g. mouse travels 1cm on pad = 30 pixels on screen, with higher ratio mouse travels 1cm on pad = 45 pixels on screen (x1.5, probably from 6th pos in windows to 9th) All numbers in this example are fictional of course, yet close to reality. At least this is how i see it.

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    my mouse is a 1000 dpi logitech mouse but i set it up to 800 dpi which is great for me because at 1000dpi the mouse becomes too sensitive, mouse dpi and monitor dpi are a different thing however your monitor's refresh rate got a bigger affect on your mouse than any DPI, at 75hz your mouse may appear to be smoother on screen while at 60hz you might notice a tiny bit of lag.

so my monitor's refresh rate is set to 75hz and my mouse to 800 dpi excellent combo, if you've got no problems with sensitivity at 4000dpi (eg. mouse feels too sensitive) then forget about it.

ingame if there's any option called MOUSE SMOOTHING please turn it off, not only it steals cycles but most of the time it'll increase the lag when moving your mouse when there's a lot going on onscreen.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/95644-25-mouse-smoothing-games

12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Mouse movement in windows is integer based.
    The mouse device transmits whole integer movement.

The windows API sends things like :
    +1 +1 +1 +1 0 0 0 +1 +1 +1 -1 -1 -2 - 2 -2 -5 -5 0 0 0

Each number representing the number of dots that the mouse has moved since the last time the API was called.

You typically get 2 integers. Delta-X, and Delta-Y.

Sensitivity setting in windows is simply a control over the dots-per-pixel factor.
    "How many dots need to be accumulated before the mouse moves 1 pixel."

Windows has no notion of the scale or real size of your display or mouse-movement.

It's simply a conversion... mouse-dots -> pixels-moved.

Furthermore, windows sensitivity does NOT affect your in-game sensitivity unless the game programmer CHOSE to refer to windows' sensitivity setting.

The programmer can access the mouse device in a number of ways.
    He can use windows API, he can use directx, or he can call the driver, etc.
    (note : when I say windows API, I don't mean the function that just gets mouse coordinate by screen resolution)
    Each method can give the programmer a different view on what is happening.

These integer values are converted in-game into equivalent angles/rotations.
    The in-game sensitivity controls how much 1 mouse dot represents in terms of angle rotated.

Higher sensitivity mouse sends more dots per inch of motion.
    It also means that the smallest motion is 1/DPI inches.

@4000, you can move 1/4000 of an inch and register a +1.
    @2000, you can move 1/2000 of an inch and register a +1.

The higher the sensitivity, the finer your potential control is.

What you see in game or in windows is the result of two factors.

Motion = DOTS(DPI) * motion-per-dot(sensitivity).

If you double DPI, motion doubles.
    If you double sensitivity, motion doubles.

DPI x 2 & sensitivity x 1/2 : motion is the same, BUT smallest motion is 2x finer
    DPI x 1/2 & sensitivity x 2 : motion is the same, BUT smallest motion is 2x coarser

-scheherazade

13. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Maybe sometimes, but I use mouse smoothing cod4, and it stop the juddering you get when you strafe and pan the view at the same time.

14. kam03

kam03 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 @ 1150/1450
    LOLzzzzz hahaha so true. Still no reply from nvnews LOL, guess people at nvnews aren't as clever as the guys on guru3d ^_^.

Thanks for all the replies people, I really appreciate it .

15. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    Yepp that seems to be true, all they seem to live bye is crapptalking in the Games forum and bitch around playing they no it all, im sick of them. okey sure thier is some good fellows over there but most of them makes me :puke2:

Cant understand they let some as I said e.x Magus drag the place dowm its a shame. it use to be a good place but then idiots like him takes over and they do nothing about it at all, they are good at banning ppl who spek up against moron likes him but then it's banning Time. heh one can really wonder maybe its old Mikey who is Magus or his son/lover whatever, aah same of more shi.
    :D

Here ppl are friendly and helpful what I have seen and they seems to know thier stuff, best place on the planet thats for sure!