Changes to YouTube

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TonyLee, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TonyLee

TonyLee Guest

I've just noticed that Youtube is FILLED with ads everywhere now, and there is one that plays every little bit with sound, and I have not found a way to turn it off or turn the sound down without affecting the video I want to watch. I'm going to give up YouTube with this going on I guess.

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Firefox, Adblock plugin.

3. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Downloading YouTube vids, and saving them to a folder on your hard drive seems to get round this problem. :)
    The main problem I've found so far is that some vids have been uploaded in flv. format, which makes them slow to download.
    Then these need to be converted to mp4 format.
    However most of the ones I've downloaded have been mp4's, and these download pretty quickly. :)

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, YouTube is now a business tool for big companies and a normal person trying to make some extra cash.

I rarely use the web based YouTube anymore anyway, and even when i do i just click on it so it gets added to my watch history, then later on i open up Mediaportal and watch all the video's i've been sent, better quality as well.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Derailing this thread, but thats what I have been doing lately.

I dont really think that disabling ads is what people should do, yes you can get some nasty stuff to your computer but in the end, that is not what you are going to get from sites like YouTube, Guru3D (and so). Plus those ads do support the owner of the site. We are heading towards internet where large sites are going to need to ask for money for their service as ads are not working for very long now. Or this is how it looks to me.

I agree that if ads give sound and you cant disable those sounds, then there is no point for videos... Not sure of the cause for this, are you sure that you cant click mute from those ads ?

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Opera browser + Adblocker, also FF + adblock, not getting any ads.

without the adblockers Youtube was a nightmare on the pc, so an adblocker is recommended.

ironically on Android i get no ads at all when i use the official youtube app, go figure.

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I think Noscript is the only thing that truly blocks them. Adblock or hosts file blocking only ad sites should not be used for security.

Well, I'm with TonyLee. If I couldn't block them I wouldn't use the site, same difference in ad money coming from me then. And youtube's ads are VERY intrusive. Besides, if anything, seeing as I'm not a partner they make money off of my few video uploads. Youtube has so much money already being pumped into it anyway it really doesn't make a difference.

Some people do make it solely on donations, some people on ad money. Pick your battles. Here it might make a difference, sure. Bigger sites? Nah, not really.

edit

Another point on security, well known sites are KNOWN to have mishaps with compromised ad scripts. Meaning, just because the site is clean, and the ad service USED to be clean, doesn't mean ad services are never targeted. Happened with Minecraft forums last year. Usually though Google picks up on the malicious traffic and your web browser's safety nag screen warn you.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

GPU:
    Yes thats also the only way they cant stop! (They often block sites like www.mediaconverter.org from DLing thier vids (Amoung other sites))

Why do they care so much??????? -- I mean,someone UPLOADED the file there FROM THE INTERNET so who cares WHO copies it off youtube??

I dunno......

10. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    No need to run them through a downloader site ... since you already download them just watching them.

The videos are buffered locally in your temp folder ... "<some-file>.tmp".

If you have a flv codec installed, you can just watch the files through media player or media player classic, etc.

-scheherazade

11. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
  12. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Used this for a while, wouldn't Youtube without it.

13. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    Im on chrome +adblocker and I cant remember the last time I saw an ad

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Adblock on both Opera and Firefox (FF also has NoScript as well) and havent seen the ads lately.

Though i am considerate of websites i visit so i enable ads on them to help out.

15. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

GPU:
    Exactly bud... Its amazing how many ppl DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS!!

Sometimes i post WMV/MOV links and the responses from some people are simply amazing!!

This is one

"We dont have to download a WMV file,thats what youtube is for" and they wont even look @ the video i provided :D

I tried to explain to this guy HE IS STILL DOWNLOADING A FILE EVEN ON YOUTUBE!!!

Ah well.......

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The only problem is that most people don't have the time to sort through all those temp junk to see which one was the video they viewed.

Ever since YouTube has the experimental HTML5 site and Google made YouTube apps on smartphones, most videos are already in both h.264 MP4 and WebM formats with multiple resolutions.

I usually use JDownloader to download YouTube videos; just copy the URL and voila, a list of several formats and resolutions of the video for you to choose from.

17. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  18. TonyLee

TonyLee Guest

edit: I spoke too soon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I have chrome with adblock and "better pop up blocker" and i donĀ“t see a single ad on the youtube page.

20. Dude111

Dude111 Guest

GPU:
    Where are people getting ads on youtube???

Whenever i watch a video,I DONT SEE ANY ADS... The vid just plays!!!!! (Thankfully)

Can someone PLEASE provide a youtube clip that they see an ad in and I WILL VIEW IT and see if i see it also?? (Im curious how they are putting these ads in and HOW CAN ADBLOCK block them if they are an FLV file like the video is)