Are you going ivy? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, May 3, 2012.

1. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Just installed the 3570k and removed the 2500k.... So far impressed.

Went straight to 4.4ghz, stock voltage, auto LLC.
    Seems stable in Prime after a few hrs.
    Vcore is 1.096-1.104, temp on hottest core 58'c, power consumption 174watts.

Gonna try some negative offset and see how far down it goes.

For comparison my 2500k at 4.4 was stable with offset of -0.010v, Vcore 1.2244-1.240, hottest core 61'c, power consumption 210watts.

(power consumption is during LargeFFT test)

So far its a win,win,win to the Ivy

2. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  3. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760

Even with no tax and free shipping from Newegg, that’s still higher then I would like to see it. Currently Newegg is sold out of the 3770K and the price is listed as ~$349.99 USD. Although I guess the best way to tell what a good price is would be to compare it to the MSRP.

Anyone know the MSRP,…..?

I like the Microcenter price better then the Newegg price and some others as was pointed out. However with Microcenter you still have to pay taxes on the base price of $289.99.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At the start of the year, I was set on upgrading to Ivy Bridge from a X58 Core i7-920 C0/C1 CPU but I've decided it's not worth the hassle and cost for gaming as my overclocked 3.8 GHz CPU handles everything I throw at it with ease when coupled wiith my GTX 680. I only play games at 1920x1200 on a single 60 Hz display with v-sync enabled so it really would be a waste of time upgrading at this point.

I've decided to wait for Haswell. By then maybe 6- or 8-core CPUs will be more worthwhile owning for games but it seems pointless upgrading from a quad-core CPU to another. I'd want 6-core at least and then only if it is beneficial to do so. Sure, I miss out on USB 3.0, SATAIII and PCI-E 3.0 but those are just luxuries at the moment and hardly essential requirements for gaming IMO. I can wait.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Haswell bound from the start. Never considered IB at all simply because its a tick. And a tock is only a year away. CPU upgrades for me are usually every 2-3 years, I just want to align my upgrades with tocks rather than ticks.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My Core i7-920 will be four years old this December but usually I buy a completely new system every three years. This CPU has been incredible though and has lasted me far longer than I expected it to. In the past, the CPU has started to struggle in games after two years so by the third I was desperate to upgrade! That said, I think the i7-920 has lasted so well because this is the first CPU I've owned that has been really overclockable.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I just checked how often I upgrade motherboard+CPU and its also 3 years almost to the month.
    1.5 years to go :)

But I did upgrade the CPU on each motherboard, I dare not do that with these fragile sockets.
    2500K is so quick I doubt I'll need to anyway.

8. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    Next month I'll be picking up a ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB and a 3770K. I'm currently using an AMD FX 8150 OC'd to 4.6GHZ. I'm switching because I'm tired of waiting for AMD to get their **** together. I thought about waiting to see what Piledriver would offer, but I doubt it will be anything close to what Intel has so I'm not going to bother.

9. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX

Agreed!

I figured I'd be rid of my rig by now, but I'm impressed with the orginal I7 920 its really kept up without any problems. I'm on air so I stay out of the 4ghz terrority during the summer.

Every game I have faired better with a GPU upgrade than CPU since the time I built this rig. Started with a 4870x2 then a single 5870 (warrenty replacment for 4870x2), now crossfired 5870s. I may upgrade the video cards once more.

I run a single monitor at 1920x1080, so until I have to start droping the detail level I dont plan to upgrade for awhile.

If I'm going to spend another 2 to 3 grand on a rig, I want it to be worth it.

Dont get me wrong, not ****ting on you guys who have upgraded. If you got the coin to spend and want something new go for it.

Myself if I were going to blow some cash now, I'd get a pair of 7970 or 680s.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    or maybe its because games no longer outpace technology.
    really the only reason i upgraded was to stay current with tech, my x6 was running just fine.

Last edited: May 30, 2012

11. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Well said. I just upgraded from an i7 920, running at 4ghz. It's still a superb proc., and runs any game/video card you want to throw at it. But it had been so long since I upgraded, I had the coin (and the itch), and dropped it. I'm enjoying the 3570K. It's a beast at 4.5ghz.

12. Im still looking into stretching my budget to accomodate an X79 build as it still looks like the best and overall most futureproofed way of going. Being AMD bound for so long I don't like the thought of having to upgrade cpu+mobo+ram everytime I upgrade so want to go with the socket with the most life left in it.

Toying with the idea of a micro atx build using the fractal design arc chassis - looks like a great case which will accomodate an H100 out of the box, fit up to 29cm long graphics cards (with the hdd cage installed as I will need 5+ HDDs in the new system)..

the next thing I am looking for is a decent overclocking micro atx X79 board with room for a dual or possibly even triple slot single gpu card, and a regular pci slot at the very bottom of the board...know of any?

edit : hmm, found one..ASRock X79 Extreme4-M
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/262...1-motherboards-round-up-asrock-x79-extreme4-m

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My 930 is at a rock solid 4.4 so ivy bridge is a complete and utter waste of time for me,i wouldnt upgrade to ivy even if i got it for free cba to reinstall everything again.

14. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I sort of see your point, running at 4.4 already. And Haswell is coming out in a year or so. Your rig will obviously last.

However, even if you got a 3770k, mobo, and new H20 block etc. for free, you wouldn't switch it out? Clock for clock, IB beats the first gen i7's handily.

I think you'd be in the minority there. I'm just sayin'. :)

15. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    i dont care what review \ other people say lol.. i upgraded from i7 2600k (4.4ghz) with gtx 460 in sli to this rig.
    i am at 4.6ghz with zalman cnps 9900-r and my peak temps are 74C in max load (prime 95 after 4 hrs) thats 10C lower than my 4.4 ghz 2600k with H60.

16. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Right on. Some would say you're nuts for going from a 2600k to a 3770k. But it appears you got a pretty decent proc out of the lot. Plus you're 200mhz over what you were running your 2600k at. And since IB is a tad faster clock for clock than Sandy, I'd say you did good.

17. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    well i was able to sell my older rig for 1500$ and this one costed me 1535$
    :D so for 35$ its not that bad ...
    you never know what craigslist brings you.

18. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    hmm, im tempted to go x79... but then if i do that, i'd rather get a hexacore just to make it worth while. plus, theres no guarantee intel wont use TIM in ivy bridge-E as well.

19. If I know you as well as I think I do, i'd say it doesn't matter what you upgrade to right now coz lets face it, you'll upgrade to haswell anyway ;)

It all boils down to how often you upgrade your rig, if you're like me and never really have the cash to upgrade i've gotta make the most futureproofed decision when it comes to a new build.

If you're Sever and upgrade ur pants off, then you're only talking about small increments in performance enhancement at a time, but keeping up to date with tech :)

20. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    haha, you know me too well.

but right now, i'll probably slow it down a bit more on my upgrading though since i dont think my CPU is holding me back in any games.

i just need to get around to replacing my B2 P67 motherboard, haha.