Can I upgrade my GTX 295 to a GTX 670 / 680?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Majigor, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Majigor

Majigor Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 295 / 1792Mb
    Hi all,

New to the forum and hoping for a bit of advice :).

I have an Asus P6T SE Motherboard with an intel i7 920 CPU.

I was hoping to upgrade my GPU, which is currently a GTX 295, to either a GTX 670 or 680 (My GPU, while powerful, does not support direct x 11 so is still becoming outdated despite it's raw power. It also does not do tessellation or other advanced processes).

I was concerned that the motherboard would not support it though. I believe it only has PCI express 2.0 ports, and the new cards are 3.0, however my understanding is that 3.0 is backwards compatible, so the cards should fit the ports right?

Also, this is a weird concern I know, but when I look at pics of the cards online, it looks as though the part which you plug in to the board is on the wrong side? The way my tower is now, when looking at it head on, the motherboard is on the right hand side. There is a side panel (on the left when looking at it) which comes off to access the internals. It always looks like the board should be on that side though for the cards to fit, but as I said I'm relying on internet images of the cards.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes you can use either of those cards on that board.
    I used to own a P6T when they came out very good motherboard:)

3. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Honestly, if your 295 still has enough raw power for your needs, i'd stick with it for now.
    While tesselation is great in theory, I haven't seen many games that actually use it to it's potential.

4. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Hold your horses until next year and then buy a new generation, altough many hate to admit it, but this generation is ''crippled'' in a way intentionally so that they can earn some money on us.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Why don't you overclock your cpu?

6. dribert

dribert Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX960 4GB
    im sure that you can run all actual games with ULTRA graphics and full HD and if you need more perfomance you can overclock your 295, and i think that 295 has software voltage control.
    honestly, how many games are using dx11?? i'll wait for the next generation.

7. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I would just keep what you have, DX11 is almost never used and when it is , you dont see it in game.

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    i7-920 is going to bottleneck a 670 in a lot of games if you don't OC it to 4GHz; and in my experience, that board isn't made for 4GHz overclocks. I used to own it too and got only to around 3.36 with the i7 920, though I can't say with certainty that it wasn't because of settings or the CPU itself.

9. brasstech

brasstech Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 2Gig
    I upgraded from a GTX295 to the GTX670 a few months ago and at the time I had a i7 Core 920 as well...of course I do lots of video editing so I was looking for better performance as well as more CUDA cores...I saw a difference right away in games as well as video editing over the 295.....I have since moved up to a i7Core 2600K 3.4 which has helped even further...

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I had 2 295 back in the day, its worth the upgrade for the more vram alone. 896mb isnt much even at 1080

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Very good advice, Listen to these people i would.:)

12. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    ok but ATTENTION to OC for CPU because 5-10% or faster OC may damage to CPU if still using air cooler STOCK.

13. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

GPU:
    GTX TITAN !
    That CPU will be a bottleneck thats for sure.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It won't damage the cpu, you'll just get higher temperatures...

Simply replace the stock cpu cooler with a third party one.

There are plenty of good coolers out there. For $30-$50 you can get a really good heatsink...

15. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Doubtful, a 2500/2600k can easily do 10% OC with the stock air cooler. But the beauty of those processors is their ability to do 4.2ghz+, and for that one might want to get an aftermarket cooler.

16. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Ok but Turbo Boost or multiplier* may not damage to CPU except voltages and/or frequency changed. :)

I used i5-2500K@Turbo Boost. I will buy new advanced air-cooler - what's better air-cooler?

* - multiplier unlocked: i7-8xxK, 9xxX Extreme Edition, 2x00K, 3xx0K or 3xx0X supported. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  17. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I would recommend that you start a new thread with this question in the appropriate sub-forum for a better response and more help. :cheers:

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Oh damn, I had forgot about the GTX 295. I feel like the 2xx series were released a decade ago. Time flies damnit. Yeap it still packs quite a punch.
    Up there with the 560Ti I might say.

I would suggest the same as others. Hold off for next gen or next refresh.

19. synapz

synapz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    I exchanged my old GTX 295 for a 590 a while back and I don't feel that my CPU is a bottleneck at 3.8Ghz. A 670 is not faster than a 590 is it?
    And as for a 295 being able to run all games on max..lol, my 590 can't even do that, not with a I920 anyway, not all games even though most run very smoothly. If I had 2 95 now I would probably go for a 680.

20. grn

grn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670OC 2GD
    Shouldn't be a problem - I have a GTX670 in my motherboard and that is PCIE 2.0. Having said that, I do have a problem with it but think there may be a fault developing with my motherboard rather. The card works fine in Windows, I just don't see the POST screens or Windows boot screens until Windows loads the NVidia driver. Also Gigabyte technical support have tested the card model against my model motherboard and shown that it does work properly.

Since I've been searching various forums and Google looking for anybody else that has had similar problems to mine, I haven't found anything nor have I seen any problems reported with the 670 card as regards it running on a PCIE 2.0 motherboard.

There is also no problem about your motherboard position either - that's where it should be on a tower case.