Take-Two sends a C&D letter to GTA IV’s OpenIV mod team

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nosein, Jun 15, 2017.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Nope but someone launches a topic on Rockstar's forums chances are it will get buried or ignored, the review ratings on Steam take a nose dive and that's the sort of thing that pulls attention.

If from day one the online service had been robust and stable then yeah perhaps they have a point.

Had they locked modding down from the word go, then yeah perhaps you would have a point

but the online service has been a hackers delight since day one, Rockstar have openly encouraged modding of the singleplayer game featuring countless videos on their newsfeed and in many instances I would hazard treating it as a sales feature to encourage people who bought the game on console to then again buy it on PC for the benefits that modding could bring.

I am not saying trashing the game is 100% right but I certainly wouldn't loose sleep over writing a negative review. You are right though, it's not going to have any effect, GTA has made buckets of money and will no doubt keep pulling in sums from Shark Cards and it's clear that Take-Two have decided that this cow can be attached to the super milker 4000 before sending it off to the slaughter house once and for all.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    And why not, gamers seem to have no problem throwing their cash at them, so why should they not take their cash, wish i had a business with gamers as my main customers going by the way they throw their money at the games industry these days, remember it was gamers who made it possible for DLC, season pass, eposidic content, micortransactions, pre-ordering, pre-order bonuses, to become the industry norm.

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    they should hire the guy already

he's the reason people are still playing the game on PC

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G

5. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Thanks Rockstar? For what?

They released what amounts to a clause from a legal document.

Rockstar either add native support for mods or simply need to shut up and stop releasing half arsed statements pretending to support the community.

6. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    That is a half ass save from those Trash2 shills because the OLD R* allowed forward porting of mods and assets into the next GTA. Now they ban it:

This does not apply to ... (iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project

And the reason was because OpenIV allowed the possibility of RDR or Liberty City to be used in GTAV.

Oh, and the mod tool is still banned and not allowed to be updated or used! So there is no change in the situation at all!

So in either case, I still say no more of my money to C_ck* or C_unt*.

The original DMA lead project guy, Benz, is starting his own Open World Game that will allow online and offline, with no restrictions anyways.

GTA modders will be more than welcomed there so lets see how PC GTA6 will last when "Everywhere" hits.

I just cannot believe after all these years of PC Community support for R* keeping their old IP alive and fresh (and don't say CONSOLES since you cannot contribute in those platforms except for buying in game purchases) that it has come down to this ending where Trash2/C* are WORST than EA and UberSH_TE! Pathetic!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's not harmless, which is the point.

And your analogy would be better suited as:

"We should just ban driving while drunk, because some people can't do it safely!? What kind of BS is this!?!"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    OpenIV, the mod IMPORT tool, is harmless. Users cannot go online, and 2 if they could, they would create a private lobby that only other users with the same exact mods can join.

OpenIv users cannot join the Post Apocalypse Detroit with no Robocop they called GTAO AT ALL! They cannot interact with the population or log in since both OpenIV and R* Social Club blocks.

For them to go after actual hacking tools, I agree but the PC single playing user community as collateral damage is not acceptable since they do more goodwill PR than any other platform. All the Machinima, custom assets are all PC based. In fact, R* has used those PC mod made videos in the past as part of their marketing campaigns.

So should users now send DMCA and sue R* for commercial use of their projects without compensation?

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    One would think that after 5 years and after releasing the said game twice, for full price, they would have enough decency not to mess with it. Yeah a naive idea, I know.

10. It's always about money. Human greed and ignorance are infinite. If there were no online purchases, nobody would care.

Last time I checked, shark cards earned them like 50 million USD a month and yet they feel the need to destroy modding community because they don't have enough.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's almost like all the negative reviews actually brought attention to an issue the community feels strongly about... and that this response was timed interestingly close to the Steam Sales..

Funny world we live in.

12. Let's hope that really was just a coincidence :)