Do not do this Tweak : http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jun 19, 2017.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I'm on Windows 10 1703, at least do not do this for this OS !

I did it before long time ago , and for some reason just now DPC started to go insane. jumping like crazy.

After doing so many other things, I tried to give my CPU maximum usage 100% on 100% clock and I saw the jumps stopped. so I went to power management and gave 100% cpu clock so it will run on maximum all the time because I used 1% so it will lower the cpu clock when idle, when idling it still jumps.

So I remember I did this tweak long time, went to the registry and revert it, restart and the DPC stopped jump, now it's max 45-90 ...... before it went to 17000-10000 and lowered slow like stairs, not instant.

So if anyone have issues , try that first !

that what I had before
    [​IMG]

Now it's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Or just use ParkControl

And how is this related to Nvidia?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Win10 (and Win8+) has core parking off in two its power plans (performance and balanced) by default.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    High Performance has it disabled, but Balanced has core parking 50% enabled by default.

The heuristics of frequency scaling between both is different too, which can affect DPC latency as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    um core parking is disabled be fualt in win 10 special on max power and balance

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have never came across Win10/Win8 instance with enabled core parking (in performance and balanced power plans).

7. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    interesting, why i didn´t knew about this core parking stuff is beyond me

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    me either and i reinstalled win 10 probably dozen times at this point on multiple pc, and max power and balance dont have it core parking enabled the min processor state in both those scheme have always been 100% which is core parking off last i checked by default.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In Win10 they even added perfmon`s counter for this core parking. But do bother only if you are on Win7.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Because it generally doesn't affect gaming machines?

11. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i know, and that´s why cos i don´t use my pc just for gaming, is my work tool after all, how do you think i get money for my stuff

12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    If you're a heavy user and not just gaming with the PC, then I highly recommend you check out Process Lasso, I paid for the lifetime license a while back and have never looked back since. I've been using it with all my Operating Systems.

Use the free trial for a month to test it.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Process Lasso is veteran respectable tool. But to check and set core parking it is overkill because Windows lets you do it by power plan means. You just need to unhide power plan settings so that they will appear in advanced power plan settings dialog.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Sure, but PL lets you dynamically have which power plan you run depending on app. Yes you can just set HP or BHP plan an be done, but if you want min cpu%, core parking and power saving of lower plans then it allows this easy.

On whats set by default of X OS version, remember you can go into power plan an hit defaults to bring back the defaults for OS (that "should" work).

I bet many of you have tweaked the values.

But you are right, you really never need to edit reg for power plan options, you need to be very careful were you edit as there user sections(which is proper place) but there also the default setting which OP sounds like he edited.
    Just edit Attributes so its available to show in power plan.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You even do not need to edit Attributes in regedit because it can be done with the help of powercfg.exe.

Code:
    powercfg -attributes GUID_FOR_SETTINGS_GROUP GUID_FOR_SETTING -ATTRIB_HIDE
    And to view all groups and settings (to save them in text file)
    Code:
    powercfg -q > c:\temp\powersettings.txt

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, Powercfg can be very handy for many power solutions.

I will add one last comment, ParkControl also has option you can click on to enable many hidden CPU power management settings.

So you could setup PC and not even need it running all time if you wanted. This would be good for those not wanting to edit reg and still be able to twaek through power plans afterwards.

17. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    And I would go further in saying it doesn't affect any machine, unless you are looking to get the highest benchmark scores.

Games that are multithread aware and put consistent load on a core/thread will keep it from going into c6 state. Its those burst loads like opening an explorer window or a new webpage that are most noticeable with core parking disabled. Plus, there is an artificial delay in the registry to give Windows time to process new windows [HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Desktop>menushowdelay]. I personally set this to 0 (milliseconds) and have noticed no issue and seen a difference since Vista.

Some motherboards can set the latency of the c6 state (c6 'short latency' if low latency is desired). Also has potential probability of crashing if the core is woken up too quick without everything else like cache and memory controller being ready for it.

For what its worth, I have mine set to balanced power profile, core parking 100% enabled (using ParkControl), c6 state (short latency) in UEFI, and frequency scaling in windows/speedstep enabled as well. With my CPU overclock it holds stable and the only time i see performance degradation is running quarter-minute benchmarks that dont average the CPU's work load over a longer period of time (like CPU-z's benchmark or sequential cinebench rendering where everything starts before worrying about waking the CPU cores first). Anything that helps with the power bill.

Core parking doesn't decrease performance, it just delay's the time for optimal performance to be obtained. If a game wakes additional cores every 5-10 minutes and you perceive slowdowns from that, then that's just inefficient game coding and not fault of how core parking is designed. It was more apparent with DX10 and past API's as they weren't multithread aware unless the developer custom coded to run different assets on different cores that didn't consistenly load a core all the time (like Source Engine's multithreading).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  18. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Ok thx im gonna try it, looks interesting.

19. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Process lasso is pure poisen. Go windows 10 and stop using park control programs. I'll make a guide for the best optimization possible

I've secure erased my ssd due to the crap it's done to my os. Avoid it.

20. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti
    Process Lasso is a superb program if you know how to use it.