The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winnix

winnix New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I've updated my ASUS B350-PLUS to bios 0803 today and decide to try the OCP for my memory again (without much hope):

4*8GByte G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GKV Dual ranks

From what I've read it's pretty much worst case: four slots used with dual-rank memory ...

I simply enable OCP in bios to switch from 2133 to 3200 (no other memory-settings touched). To my surprise it boots fine (last time with 0503 it needs several minutes to recover the bios). Only some errors when doing some stresswork:

- 3DMarks timespy shows error when starting the bench at 3200
    - bootstrapping gcc (make -j 16) fails early with 'internal compiler error'

I downclocked to the next available frequency 3066 and no more errors in 3DMark or during gcc-compilation (needs about 40 minutes to bootrap and run the testsuite).

Congratulation to AMD/ASUS for this great update!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I had to reduce speed because when encoding using a fairly intense avisynth script and intense x265 settings for a while it would reboot. I am using 3066 and it seems stable for 4+ hours. If I played around with the timings I could maybe do 3200, however since my RAM is similar to Winnix's in the previous post...

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    AGESA 1006 BIOS available for Asrock X370 Killer SLi too, running now.

Whaddaya know, now I can boot (without any training) and run stable with 3200 MHz memory (latencies 16) :p
    Nothing spectacular per se but it's beyond spec of the modules which are rated @ 3000 / 14.

Nice! Also yeah there now are memory freq. selections up to DDR4-4000 so tempting! A lot more timing options too and a handful of other added settings.

Boot times notably faster as well. Amazing what a BIOS update can achieve.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Milestone Achieved!!!

First time ever, bricked by board just by playing with the timings to see how I could get my 3600 kit working. Managed to get it to function at 3466 and then when set out to tighten the timings, it crapped out. Crash Free does not function because upon booting, the usb ports are dead...no booting process gets that far along. Beware of running Bios 0803 at speeds above 3200.

Not sure what board to play with next. Thankfully because of the deal I struck with Amazon because of the initial Ryzen delay the board was actually free. I liked the Prime so am tempted to wait for the ASUS Strix X370 board but have no idea how long a wait that would be. The Crosshair @ $250 is a no go for me. Loved my Abit boards so may go with ASRock. So tempted to pick the same board up again. Newegg has a good deal going for it presently.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Aw man that sucks, tough luck!

I can personally recommend ASRock boards, this one and the one before I had with my Intel setup were rock solid and troublefree.

Was a long time Asus user before but seems Asus has begun skimping on quality lately, given all the issues with their boards.

ASRock on the other hand seems to have made steady progress and are in a different league now than they were say 10 years ago.
    Plus they clearly state things like power phases and caps used and other details on the main specs, no need to dig the information out (Asus doesn't state this information anywhere that I know of, with any of their boards).

6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    so you can't even clear CMOS ? :3eyes:

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Clearing the CMOS by unplugging the psu and then shorting the pins. Then removing the battery and shorting the pins again. Then replacing the battery and shorting the pins yet again. Finally plugging the psu back in and no affect. Just board lights and spinning fans.

What was interesting, that when I cleared the cmos before flashing the bios 0803 from 0801, all settings were cleared. When I went through the above procedure when switching out the two ram kits, noticed that none of the settings were cleared after plugging the two 3600 ram sticks in. I am thinking that this non-clearing behavior resulted in the bios going belly up when I changed two ram timing setting. Going to be asking for an RMA. Till a new board shows up, my rig is down for the count.

8. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    So the newest aegsa is now available on my board as bios 2.40, and it posts at 3200mhz RAM speed whereas the older aegsa versions 2.30 and 2.20 don't, however it hardlocks right away after posting and showing the uefi screen.

BIOS version 2.0 running on the older aegsa works fine though at 3200mhz.

Very odd. Anyone else have the same issue with the ASRock x370 professional gaming board? Any solution for it? I'm thinking maybe one of the additional ram configuration options they added might be at fault, but I've only had the time to test the command rate option and oddly enough 1t posts more consistently than 2t on the latest bios yet still hardlocks.

EDIT: ASRock's answer to me is "use the one that works." lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Hey guys. So, I've been having periodic stability issues with my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz (C16) (Part no: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

It would run fine for several days or weeks but suddenly become unstable. I traced the issue to the memory modules, and I would need to either remove one of the sticks or reseat them to different sockets for it to become stable again. I upgraded to the latest 1.0.0.6 AGESA this afternoon to see if the issues would be resolved, but when it booted back up it was instantly unstable (reseated and it's stable again... for now). Also note that this is not as a result of overclocking - the exact same issue happens at the base 2133 speeds, so I'm guessing there's still some compatibility issues between the parts.

Has anyone else experienced such issues? I'm thinking of buying some new RAM modules from a different manufacturer to see if they're more stable. Does anyone have any insights or recommendations?

10. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Try cleaning RAM contacts with alcohol or Acetone.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Don't use acetone!

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    My experience has lead me to abandon Corsair were AMD is concerned. Couldn't get wife's rig stable even though the Corsair was on the APU's QVL. Switched to GSkill, that particular kit was not on the QVL, and all issues vanished. One of many repeatable occurrences. Wife's rig was all at default as well.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Actually, I previous had issues with Corsair memory on my Intel system (4790K on MSI Gaming 7). No matter what I tried, I could not get it to run stable with both sticks in (one stick was fine). Finally replaced it with some Ballistix memory and it's been stable ever since.

I thought that was just a one-off, but this incident seems almost like a repeat, and I'm thinking of avoiding Corsair altogether in the future (maybe I'm just really unlucky with this brand?)

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
  15. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Acetone is the best solution because it leaves no residue, unlike alcohol. Circuit boards are cleaned with acetone fyi. It is the ultimate evaporate. Just keep it away from certain plastics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Pure isopropyl alcohol is still a much better and safer option.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, I have Contactol, Technical Alcohol, Aceton, ...
    But for computer cleanup I always use Tech. Alcohol. It is least intrusive, worst thing it can do is to clean off cheap color paint.

Aceton dissolves/vulcanizes so many things. You never know what gets hit and what will not.

@Clouseau: Did you try with much slower memory? That fast memory at which you "bricked" could have allow MB to "boot" just enough to skip initial compatibility protection but not far enough to auto reset from failed boot count.
    At slower memory it may reset just from incompatibility itself with that high clock.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    That was my thought as well. Switched out the ram and put the 3200 kit back in. Unfortunately same results. I then left the psu unplugged and the battery out for 24hrs. That accomplished nothing beneficial. Have since started the RMA process to get the bios chip reprogrammed. There is an undocumented header right next to the bios chip. Assuming that is used to directly flash the bios if one had the proper tool. Thanks for the suggestion. New board should be here tomorrow. The Prime board will go to the wife and her APU rig will go to the kids.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Finally New 1401 AGESA 1.0.0.6

2945MHz CL-14-15-15-34 1T 68.8 Ohms
    GearDown/Power Dwn. Disabled

Beter Latency 76-78ns and +3GB/s !!! ~46GB/s All3 :banana:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.