Some questions about flip queue size.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ubysm1, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

I just found out the minimum effective flip queue size in Windows 7 is 1, and setting 0 will just put the value back to default. Can anyone confirm whether Windows 8 or 8.1 behave the same?

Is it true that flip queue size is no longer changeable since Catalyst 13.3?

Is it true that the FQS value doesn't affect Directx11 games?

Finally, does the value affect OpenGL games, and if so is there a similar minimum value of 1 for them in Windows 7 (and above)?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Flip Que can be changed with Radeon Pro, 0 resets to 3 so 1 is the smallest you can use.

It's just the number of frames a CPU can prepare ahead for the GPU so I imagine it works in any game...

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    japamd said in Mar 2013 that Flip Queue Size in RadeonPro works only on DX9 games, not DX10 or DX11 (unsure about OpenGL).

The weird thing is I was getting high input lag with Crysis 2 (DX11) with VSync on @ 60Hz and setting Flip Queue size to 0 reduced that input lag.

Skyrim (DX9), same. That game had horrible input lag. I set it to 0 and the input lag got reduced immensely. So I'm not sure 0 resets to 3. Maybe it resets to 1.

But, OTOH, if 0 was redundant, japamd would have removed it so not sure what to think TBH.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well I always used 0 then I read somewhere (AMD whitepaper I think or maybe MS) that 0 resets back to 3.

So now I use 1, but some games feel more laggy so maybe 0 does work.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    As far as I can tell, it does.

I think 0 resets to 3 in CCC if you have read that in an AMD whitepaper.

6. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I know in CSGO having 1 makes frame rate all over the place, 2 is the sweet spot no drops and mouse feels much more smoother.

Its only this game where I have noticed a change tbh

Edit
    Forgot also Team Fortress 2 is the same.

7. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

Ah thanks for more or less confirming the minimum value Pill Monster. A MS or AMD whitepaper sounds conclusive. Shame though.

To my understanding 0 still works in XP (and it worked in 7 in the beginning) which might explain why you're still allowed to set 0 in RadeonPro. I know it's a long shot but I hope Win 8/8.1 supports 0 FQS again...

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't know it's been ages since I looked into it, but I have a feeling that 0 can be used in RP but not in CCC.

Best person to ask would be Japamd - the RP dev.

9. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

Guys japamd reckons AMD has effectively removed FQS modification. He says values are now based on driver and CAP profiles. I don't get why AMD couldn't set optimized defaults while letting you modify the value if you wanted... pft.

10. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

FQS (at anything above 1) + vsync actually makes no sense (as you're making your card dump frames, so it could actually be detrimental to performance by queueing frames that wont ever get used ).

However, what you may have done is inadvertently switched on triple buffering, which would have the effect you're experiencing. (this may be a function of the software in dx10/11 apps).

This is just speculation however, as I dont use radeon pro anymore.

11. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

The new 13.8 beta has either reimplemented FQS, or it has retained the feature. Changing the value to 1 affects GPU usage and frames per second significantly. I can only confirm this for Super Street Fighter IV. I ran the benchmark twice for each value of flip queue you can set in RadeonPro - the fairly stable results were between 217 and 220fps with flip queue set to default, and between 187 and 188fps with flip queue set to 1.

The setting seems to have no effect on Tomb Raider, which is a DX11 title, so it makes sense.

What I found odd is that any value other than 1 doesn't seem to make any difference to fps or gpu usage from the default. I'm not sure what it means but it could actually be that "1" is the setting for "off", while any other value turns it on. Nothing more than a guess, and as I said I've only tested one game.

12. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    There's DEFINITELY a difference between 3 and 2 (at least in dX9).

Try setting it to "2" in The Witcher 2. You will notice the main menu be a mouse stuttery mess, and if you are using fraps, you will see the FPS jitter constantly in the main menu (ONLY if you are using vsync). Same for 1 (except more FPS hit). It mostly goes away at 3.