Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I like it. Been using it since shortly after it came out, and haven't bothered with Start8 or anything like that. I, personally, don't see that as a necessity, although some apparently do. To me, the Start screen works just as well as the old Start Menu.

2. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Come on guy! :peeright:

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ seaplane pilot - CyberPaddy must work for Microsoft or something because I cannot see how anyone can think that the current implementation of the Modern UI Start screen is actually good for the following reasons:

1. The Modern UI Start screen is just a tablet/mobile interface tacked onto Windows, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but here many of the apps are so frustratingly limited that you have no recourse but to use the superior, full featured desktop equivalents. And if you're having to constantly switch back to the desktop to use those apps anyway then it makes sense to have a Start button/menu to access these programs to keep the clutter off the desktop.

2. The constant switching between the desktop and Modern UI Start screen can be very jarring as they are totally different. I click on an X in the top-left corner of a window to close a program on the desktop but have to swipe down with my mouse to do the same on the Modern UI Start screen. Where is the consistency? For newcomers not familiar with Windows, the Modern UI interface is very unintuitive on a desktop PC or laptop. Stick it on a mobile or tablet though and it is a different matter.

I'm not saying that Windows 8 is awful, it isn't. Once you add a Start button/menu to the desktop then it becomes very pleasant to use offering a CHOICE of using desktop or Modern UI apps without feeling unnecessarily hindered by the desktop part and forced into using the Modern UI Start screen.

I've said this before but Apple offer OSX for their Macs and iOS for their tablets and phones so I really don't see why Microsoft felt they had to create a hybrid version of Windows for all devices, particularly ones that do not natively have or use touchscreen interfaces.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Does anyone perhaps knows a workaround or fix for this little problem im having ?

[​IMG]

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Change resolution?
    Its comparing the vertical res btw.

edit
    I see your monitors specs are 1024x768, you are doing well to make it get 1280x720.
    A change of monitor will allow you to use higher res.

Alternatively, try adjusting the dpi.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i cant really. its the only res where i can get 60hz on this tv. otherwise its 30hz :puke2:

so i kinda need a hack or something

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I edited above :)

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    that spec is for the VGA input. im using HDMI.

not gonna buy a new tv

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Price of progress mate.
    Its only a warning just in case an app is larger than your screen estate.
    It might not translate into a real issue.

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Great OS with Start8 imo.

Faster, way faster with SSD's.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The desktop of Windows 8 doesn't really need much done to it to make it look far superior, even without Aero Glass etc (although a variation on that would be even better again). I strongly dislike the 'white' theme Microsoft have going on at the moment, like the title bars in Windows 8, the whole interface of Office 2013, which really is unpleasant to look at over a full working day. Like many people I find little use of using Metro Apps, and once everything is installed the metro tiles get just as cluttered if not more than the standard start menu (since the normal app tiles are read from the structure of the start menu folders). In any case, even if I relent in terms of the basic styling in Windows 8, it could have been much better and it wouldn't take too much effort. If the rumors of Windows Blue is true in terms of the UI being even flatter and more bland, it really won't look good. I believe the basic principle is to make standard apps less interesting to make metro apps (that you pay for through their store) more interesting, but it really isn't working. People are going to Windows 8 in droves because of the price, not because of the neutering of the UI. Whether these people fall for buying stuff off the App store so Microsoft can make their sale profits through there is anyone's guess, but due to the nature of the store it is more profitable even if the overall cost per installed license is less than what it would be if the person paid the typical price for said license. Confused? Microsoft are counting on that!

12. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Had it for about 2 weeks now and love it, I use Décor8 to so I can make the switch from lock, to metro to desktop look more natural/correct.

Basically I have the same wallpaper across all 3 screens (lock/metro/desktop) but each has a different look, so on the lock screen the wallpaper is black and white, then on metro it's colour and blurred and on desktop it's colour and clear.

It's a great effect IMO, it really helps gel things together along with the way Windows fades things in and out.
    ---
    Only 2 things I'd really want added, to be able to select any wallpaper on metro without a 3rd party program and something like Oblytile being added in as well (basically the option to select custom images for all tiles via right click menu).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Everyone has their own opinion. Some of us genuinely like how Windows8 is, including the "Modern UI". There are a few things that need some work, like adding POP3 support to the built in Mail app and adding support for printing from the built in PDF reader....hell, even PROPER support for Bluetooth would be nice but for the most part it's down to personal taste. Just because you're not found of the "Modern UI".....doesn't mean someone else is an MS employee, fanboy, etc...

14. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I just don't understand what people are doing that results in them constantly seeing the Start screen. Granted, i don't use my computer for all THAT much, besides gaming and such, but how many people actually have a few dozen apps installed on their computer and actually USE every single one of them on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day? Have shortcuts for the ones you are regularly using, and Start Screen icons for the ones you use, but not as often, and just use the Start screen search for the rest, which is extremely quick.

IMHO, I think it winds up being a BETTER solution than the Start Menu in that way. You can customize the Start screen with only the apps you want to have a shortcut there, and easily search for the rare app. Yea, you can de-clutter the old start menu as well, but then if you DO need to use one of those rare apps that you hardly use, you'd either have to browse through folders to try to find the exe, or search for the folder or .exe file name.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    if any body is interested virtualcustoms.com has a theme that makes it so inactive windows isnt white. which is a good thing, for me I use dark colors but with windows themes the inactive windows would be white, which would clash with the dark colors.

16. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Does anyone have a spare unused WMC key? Trying to get one via the site and i also tried calling MS support, no luck. Was told the only way to obtain keys now is to wait after Jan 31st and pay 10 euro's for it. :bang:

So much for keeping that gift site alive.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    people still whining about metro start? :grin:

I dont mind it one bit, at first when i checked videos i had a problem, but now when im using it its actually very good and it doesnt come in the way one bit.

Imo Win8 is great, the only thing that needs attention is better driver support, some games run worse compared to win7, nvidia needs some more homework.

For example Warframe physx3/apex game runs up to 10fps lower by min fps, 40-45fps vs 50-60fps (win7) by min fps. And some games dont work at all, ok 1-2 so far.

18. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Check ya PM.

19. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I PMd one to someone a month back and didn't even get a thank you. **** you, your welcome you ungrateful sack of sheep's testicles whoever that was. Lol!

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Kids today think everyone owes them. It was his right to have that WMC key ya know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.