EliteDangerous Kickstarter DevDiary #1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Frontier Developments has revealed a new gameplay clip from its upcoming Elite sequel, Elite: Dangerous. This video showcases the multiplayer mode and the some of the ships that will be featured in it...

EliteDangerous Kickstarter DevDiary #1

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah really hope this hits its target.
    It will be one of the best games to be made ever!

Thanks for the update Hilbert:cheers:

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The target amount is kinda steep. I know that this is a huge ambitious game, but I'm afraid it won't make it. The future of Sui Genesis also looks grim.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont know its almost at 50% and there is more content being released.
    There is also 39 days left.
    Have you pledged?

I hope you are wrong because the PC needs a game like this to give games in general a kick up the arse.

Im really sick and tired of all the console ports, Generic Fps games year in year out.

There is no originallity left and has not been for along time.

This game needs to be made and if it is made i bet it will a brilliant game full of features and good gameplay.

Support the PC guys, Show the devs that PC gamers count by backing Elite Dangerous.

This is no ordinary Space sim, Its not even Wing Commander or Tie Fighter.

This is ELITE, The cream of the crop, The best of the best.

Stop spying and get buying, get your pledge in, You have nothing to lose if the game does not make the target.

You do not lose your money.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

5. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    The game just became £50.00 closer to completion.

I've never played any of the Elite games before but it reminds me a lot of a much more epic, beautiful, and non-mmorpg version of Earth and Beyond. If it's half as amazing as that game was I will not be disappointed, and by the looks of it I won't be. :)

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks man every amount counts.:)

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I like the look of this game.

8. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
  9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I pledged, in both games that I mentioned. The original Elite was epic. The gaming scene needs innovative games... well it's not really innovative as it's a remake, but this is a game like no other. When I bought X: Beyond the Frontier I was confused. I was a good game etc, but it had max speed, region borders and many weird solutions that made this game limited.

I buy many games, but I'm getting tired with them. They lack substance. I want a game that reinvents the genre. I want Elite to be released, as well as Sui Genesis.

Well, it's a different game. The original Elite was about procedurally generated environment - if you can see a dot in the sky, you can fly there. I don't think it's less ambitious by any means, just different. I think you can watch the videos to get what they want to achieve.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah you should check out the community on kickstarter comments, One of the best ive come across.

So many people want this game to be made.

To people who have never played an Elite game think of it as GTA in Space or Farcry 3 in Space.

There will be over 100,000,000 galaxies with planets, some with life some without life.

You can go anywhere, There will be other races, Factions, Governments, Aliens etc They may even be all procedurally generated so the outcomes is literally endless.

Also the galaxy will be accurately mapped like the galaxy in real-life.

All with the technology of 2012/2014.

Gonna be epic.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Huum, when i look ProjectCars and how they have been able to meet their target, i will say they could well success. Now, the problem is maybe a car simulation is maybe easy to "sell" thoses days of a space simulation. ( but seeing how Star Citizen have success, look like only big producters are affraid of this ( 5.5millions of dollars allready if i dont do any misstake )

I had play a lot of the " original Elite (1st one) back in time on an AtariST.. i hope they will succeed.

12. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Great updates, looking forward to this game!

I think Star Citizen looks cool too. But I think they are both very different. Isn't Start citizen more like a space Fighter pilot sim? You won't be able to go exploring and do trading etc? That's the impression I got. Elite: Free roam, explore, trade, fight etc.
    Starcitizen : Space Fighter sim, Proper campaign/story etc, more focused on the space battles/war.
    Is that correct?

Either way both will be great games.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes that is correct, They are both different and both worth backing in my opinion.

One thing i really love about Star Citizen is that it cannot and will not be made for any consoles because basically a console cannot handle the game which is great.

All PC games should be like this, There was a time many years ago when PC games were made from the PC ground up but nowadays development has kinda gone backwards.

Devs dont wanna take risks and they go where the money is ie: Console crap.

I respect Braben and Roberts for taking the risks.
    Roberts is well known not because of Wing Commander but more for Freelancer and Privateer.

Braben is known mainly for Elite, But Elite was so long ago that unless your a Veteran gamer you probably wont know what the game is about or who Braben actually is.

Respect to Ian Bell also he seems to be forgotten and does not get the praise that Braben gets yet Ian Bell's Programming of Mathematical Algorithms was arguably better than Brabens at the time way back in 1984.

Seems only like couple of years ago.:)

14. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Kickstarter is going to redefine everything about how a game is made, actually, it already is. Kickstarter is letting people make games that they and the fans only dreamed about. I am glad this is happening. I am always encouraging friends and family to give Kickstarter a visit because there is something for everyone to support.

15. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Yes, kickstarter is becoming more and more succesful which I believe is a good thing. Why let big companies decide over which games we want to play??? They only have their profit mostly in mind when they are looking for games to create. Kickstarter is exactly what the poster above described. A platform where WE gamers can decide which games we want to play in the future.
    Sounds very promising to me.

And if I can choose between 2 great space games I would say please let them both become a reality. I loved elite on the c64 and wingcommander/privateer later on.... good times for being a PC gamer :)

cheers

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Looks like it can become one hell of a great game, or one giant pile of crap... these types of games can easily go either way. I'm going to wait a bit to see more content.

I really like Kickstarter, finally seeing some variation in PC games instead of Grey Monotonous Blob #9407 AKA every FPS ever.

17. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sorry Chris Robbed me.;)

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    One of the reasons why Kickstarter is good.

One of the questions that has repeatedly been asked about Frontier Developments’ return to Elite with the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous is why it has taken so long for the company to work on a new title in the series. Speaking to IncGamers, Frontier’s David Braben (one of Elite’s original creators) has said that the over-cautious nature of the traditional publisher model has been to blame.

“Publishers had … ‬and still have now,* ‬established processes and a key part of that is the forecast ROI or return on investment.* ‬For that to work there has to have been a sufficiently similar game in the near past to base the forecast* ‬upon … Anything else will be* ‬‘too risky*’‬,” he said.

“Working with publishers is great,* ‬but as part of the process,* ‬inevitably the publisher will want to steer the game in a particular direction.”

That, according to Braben, was not an acceptable state of affairs for the next Elite.

“Today,* ‬we would be steered to make a game with cut-scenes that would appeal to an imagined audience,” he says. ‬”That is not the game I want to make.”

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/11/david-braben-publisher-model-prevented-development-of-new-elite/

19. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Lots of new media recently

Hope its ok to bump this with some new news.

Getting close to the deadline and it's going to be tight, so if anyone is pondering supporting the kickstarter, now is the time! They now accept PayPal donations also.

They have release quite a lot of updates in the past few days, here is the latest vid:

http://youtu.be/44K9bnjcUSc