Catalyst AA Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    does this also include AA modes forced though CAP or driver?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not sure, I'm actually just having another read of the whitepapers atm.
    I know MS needs to be enabled as well, but unsure whether that's thru the drivers or via the game engine...

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm I think maybe it does have an effect when the game has no AA support, EQAA is similar to Nvidia's CSAA so it seems the "Enhanced" doesn't mean "enhance game engine", rather it means "enhance MSAA".....

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    does that mean with or without forced AA?

you say MS needs to be on; in adaptive MS is partially enabled.

I wonder if thats sufficent.

Or if in adaptive it will only peform the extra samples on the MSAA objects, and ignores the tranparent objects using SS.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm trying to find out myself, seems there's a lack of solid info around....

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yeah, thats why i figured id ask in this thread, seems to be the most desciptive ive found.

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Nice article!

So, much confusion around this will come to be good topic for everyone to read. Missing TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing), but since AMD has decided to hide the feature not that important I guess.

8. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    what version of CCC is that your using I only get a tick box for use application settings not a drop down selection menu

9. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Great work been waiting for something like this

10. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    Same here - tickbox for "use application settings" only, no drop-down selection box and no "enhance application settings" option that I can see anywhere.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its been around in CCC since the introduction of MLAA.

If you dont have a 4xxx or newer card, id guess you dont have it.

It also requires stream i believe for post processing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    :biggun:

did you even look at my system specs on the left before you answered the question obviously not otherwise you'd have seen I use 2 HD5770's I've never had the drop down box since owning my first HD5770

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I did indeed see your profile.

dont know what to tell ya.

as i mentioned, ive had it on all my cards since MLAA was introduced.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  14. Isbre

Isbre Guest

GPU:
    290X Matrix H2O
    Great guide! Looking forward to some image comparisons as well :)

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Sorry, was away for a couple of weeks so couldn't reply.

As mentioned by Pill Monster, that method only works when a game has internal AA support.

'enhance application settings' doesn't allow for forcing AA (no access to the AA level slider) but if using MSAA/SSAA/Adaptive AA modes along with with 'Override application settings' you can enable EQAA through the AA level slider for games that support AA forced through CCC.

Enhance the application settings/EQAA will work with all AA modes as long as there is AA applied internally or through the Control panel, though the game must support forced external AA. It would be advisable to ensure the game does support external AA by disabling Ingame AA and forcing it through the CCC before attempting to use Enhanced/EQAA.

Also note that MSAA and SSAA both use Colour samples with the difference being that SSAA renders the whole scene, so 'Enhance the application settings' and 'Override the application settings' should work along with EQAA for any of the three AA modes as long as the game supports external Driver Level AA.

Keep in mind that MSAA should work on all games that support forced AA but Adaptive AA and SSAA is currently only supported in DX9.

I was using the CCC that came with the catalyst 11.8 for the guide, I am currently using the catalyst 11.10 which uses the same 3d application settings layout as the guide and is Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0923.2225.38371.

You're welcome :)

and I will be adding image comparisons soon.

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    It was my understanding that adaptive AA only performs SS on tranparent textures, and performs MS on everything else.

This was the point of using transparent textures when creating a game; to be able to control what gets SS applied by using tranparent textures on items that need SS for quality purposes (heavily edged objects like gates, leaves, etc) and to stop huge processing overhead required for full-scene SSAA.

is this not true?

it seems wasteful that EQAA would be applied to the SS objects. The MS objects are the only ones that needs that extra help in quality.

So if you force AA on a game that doesnt support it, (interanlly or externally) through CCC/radeon pro, EQAA does nothing?

that begs the question whether forcing AA in such games does anything at all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The eqaa will be applied equally to all samples, that's just how it works and tbh given the relatively low ssaa usage in adaptive aa mode; it's not really a major concern.

Here's a few dead island screenshots demonstrating performance and cost in different AA modes in relation to daptive aa and eqaa, these are all forced through CCC.

NO AA

[​IMG]

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3581/noaat.jpg

8x MSAA

[​IMG]

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8340/8xmsaa.jpg

8x Adaptive AA

[​IMG]

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3843/8xadaptiveaa.jpg

8x SSAA

[​IMG]

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9821/8xssaa.jpg

12x EQ MSAA

[​IMG]

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9290/12xeqmsaa.jpg

12x EQ Adaptive AA

[​IMG]

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/277/12xeqadaptiveaa.jpg

12x EQ SSAA

[​IMG]

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6615/12xeqssaa.jpg

If a game doesn't support AA internally or externally, then yes, forcing standard AA modes will not having any effect. You would have to use MLAA.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  18. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    yup I was on 11.8 and now 11.10 but still don't see a drop down menu only a tick box I bet it doesn't appear for HD5xxx/4xxx caaards only for 69xx cards

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    those screen shots would be nice as a comparison, if my damn browser disnt clean them up so i cant see any differnces...lol

ill have to disable gpu acceloration clearly to see...

lol

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi mate, MLAA and EQAA modes are only available on 6000 series, with just the 6950/70/90 supporting EQAA.
    That's why you don't have the dropdown option in CCC...:)

This may interest you however:
    http://www.geeks3d.com/20101023/tips-what-is-the-morphological-anti-aliasing-mlaa/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.