Resident Evil 6

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I hope they modernise the controls for this game to match other third-person shooters because even Resident Evil 4 and 5 felt rather clunky and clumsy compared with games like Gears of War 3 or Splinter Cell: Conviction for example.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    imo its part of the gameplay, cant move while shooting , zombies coming at you. stressing out :D

3. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Looks like melee combat is a big change.

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Agreed. RE3 was OK, but it was still meh. RE4 seemed like it started loosing it's horror, thriller, mystery edge. And RE5 seemed more like a action shooter with the lack of flesh rotting zombies. Didn't suit the game, really.

5. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    omg...just saw the trailer, damn EPIC game, can't wait for it.

6. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    i feel the same way:stewpid:

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Wouldn’t feel like Resident Evil if it just copied other games, especially two very generic games like that.
    Tomb Raider appeared at the same time as the first RE game did, but felt completely different, nowadays every third person game feels so similar, and FPS’s are even worse.

Modernising older games tends to do more damage than good these days, on a second watch of this trailer I was cringing when I saw the cover system, and moves like sliding.

Still really looking forward to it, but mostly because RE is my favourite game franchise.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There's nothing wrong with copying another game's controls if they work better IMO.

Resident Evil 5 still had controls where the character turns unrealistically on the spot and could not shoot whilst moving (they were almost tank-like if you will). That was fine 7 years ago when Resident Evil 4 was released on the limited GameCube but these days I expect tighter and less claustrophobic controls. If the controls are the only thing that stop a Resident Evil game from being like every other generic third-person shooters then it has problems IMO. I see no point in releasing a sequel if the game itself (graphics, story, controls, gameplay, etc.) doesn't evolve with it.

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I did like 5 playthroughs of RE5... I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one. :)

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hehe i played 4 times through myself. only co-op though, i love co-op games.

11. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Resident evil 0 and 1 on gamecube were amazing remakes and if anyone has a wii id heartily recommend getting them (i think they re-released them both on wii).

RE2 was great but is dated now, RE:CV was an amazing game and the first in the series to have proper 3d environments, RE 3 was meh really. Me and the Mrs have re-played them all together (I pretend not to know where stuff is so she can help). RE4 on wii was brilliant fun, didnt feel much like an RE game though.

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
  13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    meanwhile, im trying out Resident Evil: Revelations demo for the 3DS
    [​IMG]

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    a demo ? nice! im gonna download it as soon as i get home

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Might sound weird, but that is what I enjoyed about RE5, wasn’t very much like a RE game in most ways, but it did at least feel like one control wise, the clunky, claustrophobic feel made the game better in my opinion, as I don’t want some lightweight agile character in these games.

I can see where you’re coming from, but there is evolving and, then there is just completely changing it.
    Don’t think they will change it though, from the look of the trailer it’s still the same RE controls, but with the addition of things like a cover system and what looks like a sprint button.

All just personal taste, and maybe some nostalgia as i doubt I would like it in any other game.

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    im pretty sure if there would be full analogue controls, the game would be fast pased instead of the slow paced panic attacks we have now. lol
    3rd person l4d

17. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Nice, can't wait! :devil:

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I quite enjoy the run to a safe spot, stop, shoot until they get near, then run to a new spot and repeat.

Really don’t think the game would be as enjoyable if the character was jumping and rolling around while shooting, it might be a cheap trick to gimp the character make you feel more vulnerable, but it works.

19. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    I guess the sections with Leon are more RE4 "horror" style while the areas with Chris Redfield are more action and shooter oriented. This way Capcom could probably please the old and new fans (a bit at least)

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I didn't have any issues with the controls in RE5. It's the control setup I've come to expect from the Resident Evil series. Standing still, stationary... focusing on a target... leaving yourself open to attack from other directions.
    It forces you to be careful about where you decide to try to stand your ground.

My complaints with RE5 are in relation to the setting. And, in a more personal way, the characters.
    I understand the nostalgia that falls in with Chris and Jill. They were the main focus of the very first game... so they are important to the series. But at the same time, I find them a bit dull and uninteresting.
    And the "OMG TWIST" in RE5 could be seen miles away. It wasn't surprising that Jill was working with Wesker, it was lazy writing due to how obvious it was.
    I've always personally preferred Leon. Something about him just makes him a more interesting character.
    Also... he looks human. Where as Chris looked like a giant square block of muscle with a tiny little head dropped on it.

But, on top of my personal gripes against the main characters of RE5, the forced co-op/AI team mate and basically complete lack of haunting, chilling atmosphere... other then the controls, the game didn't feel like RE at all.
    While RE4 was a departure from the typical slow, stumbling zombies of past Evil games. The setting was creepy, atmospheric and moody. So the transition to a new threat was more subtle.
    While in RE5 they took the enemies from 4, dropped them in bright sunny locals that completely lacked ambiance and thought "if we put you against dozens upon dozens... it'll be fun"..

Now, Resident Evil 5 is a good game. It's solid, looks fantastic, controls well and performs well. I own it on both my 360 and PC. But, at the same time, it just doesn't feel like Resident Evil to me. In a way, it feels like a forced attempt to tie up loose ends and bring back the original characters.