3770k Discussion thread - Heat Posible improvement!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Bloodduty, Dec 20, 2012.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The IHS is nickel plated copper so no issues there. I would love to know what material is underneath protecting the actual CPU on the PCB.

2. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I've done the chop top on 3x 3570k cpu's.
    I had one failure where one of the cpu was screwed, yet there was nothing done different in all 3 removal procedure.
    I couldn't visibly see and damage done by the removal, but it's screwed 1 cpu.

The other 2 went without a hitch, but I didn't get as much as temp drop as the op posted.
    I'd say around a 10~14c max temp drop under max load on the 2 cpu's that worked.
    I used MX-4 for tim replacement.
    If I hadn't seen 1 dead cpu out of 3 then I'd say it was worth it.

If I was to do a 3770K and it failed, it would hurt.
    I don't know, the $100 more in price would just make the sting hurt more ...lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Yeah, a 3570k can be had for a reasonable price although i wouldn't want to lose the one i have, i'll admit i'm somewhat nervous after smashly's post above.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Possible electrostatic discharge. It's not uncommon for that to happen.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Were all three tested before delidding?

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'll be putting some Liquid Pro on my 3570K soon, already got it here, and have no worries about it. Like for example it being conductive, I don't see that as a big deal, who here hasn't used AS5 that was conductive, only if you was careless with it was it a problem.

The only part that worries me is the actual delid process, other than that meh.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The watchword has to be patience. Take your time, even if it takes an hour! Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

8. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    All 3 3570k I did worked fine prior to removing the lid.
    As for static discharge I was using a wrist strap while removing the lid.

The one that died I actually cleaned all the glue off after it failed, looking for any sign of me cutting into the wafer, but not a scratch or scar to be seen.
    I ordered another replacement chip (as it wasn't mine) and decided I wouldn't do it for anyone else again unless they wear the brunt if misfortune strikes.
    Sorta hurt as I wasn't doing it for money and it cost me $225 for the replacement.
    But we live and learn and move on :)
    I'd do it only for myself now days.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

If still interested in knowing what materials are used in an Intel chip then there's an Intel illustrated article that explains most things. It's only up to 2009 or 45nm chips, not completely sure if materials used since then have changed significantly. I would imagine that's unlikely but possible.

From Sand to Silicon “Making of a Chip” Illustrations - May 2009
    http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/chipmaking/pdfs/Sand-to-Silicon_45nm-Version.pdf

Making of a chip - detailed
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/General/308301003.pdf

I will see if I can dig out any data on later chip designs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
  10. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Liquid Metal has a new tim out called liquid ultra, it performs better than the original, does not leech, will not seep when seated, thicker than the original, and easy to use. Still not safe for aluminum.
    I use to use mx4 for everything, after trying ultra, I can say I'm sold on it.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Yes, so it's not so much the particular TIM used by intel that causes problems but more the amount used makes a space too large between chip & IHS.
    Before i go removing anything i'm gonna see the results from changing just the cpu cooler i'm currently using to something more beefy.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Your results will be limited. It's the removal of intel's cheap junk TIM that does the trick.

I have my CPU (Costa Rica, Batch: 3231B645) and Mobo now.

Get the memory of Christmas day, so I'll be putting my new build together in the few days after Crimbo!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  13. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    wow did not expect to see this much talk in a week but yeah

I used MX4 was looking in to the diamond one but I been told it will scratch the die

after letting it settle in this week I can now get a 4.6Ghz max of 54oC that's crazy from 80oC from that biscuit stuff that was on this CPU is less then 2 month old you think they would of sorted this

14. Bloodduty

Bloodduty Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 FE
    cutting off the tim just take your time I tried this on other cpus in this week

intel E6600 in a server
    intel Q6600 dads pc
    intel 860 media PC
    intel 760 girlfrends pc

not as much of a inprovment as this 3770 but its easy

15. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    I'll be doing this after Christmas bullcrap is over. Lapping heatspreader as well as that shaved 10C off Q6600. Looking at wet & dry, hoping for Christmas to end.

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I'm considering doing it this morning, all i need is a quality blade ..

17. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    OK i just done it, seem to be idling around 6C lower now, i got a pic and i got some advice, and i'll also report my load temp results, but right now i gotta chill ..
    Forgive double post, just wanna get the update out. :)

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's about the same temp difference I saw at idle after I put PK-1 on. the real difference will be at full load.

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I put antec formula5 under IHS and IC Diamond on top. the first corner i tried i thought 'uh oh this ain't gonna come off' even the second corner was no play in-between really, however the third corner wasn't so bad and i took it from there.
    But sure you know the part of the cpu cooler that goes underneath mobo and lets you bolt cooler on?, lets call it the frame for now well with the glue and intel cement mix removed there's a lil' gap created so i made up for it with a bit of double sided tape underneath the sticky pad that holds the frame onto back of mobo so the cooler could be tightened down real tight.

Pic :p

[​IMG]

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The i7 3770k I delided had white paste.. Weird