The Official Guru3D Mac Thread

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by orenda635, Sep 20, 2006.

1. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    What makes me not use it is on whether it is going to conflict with WindowsBlinds or not.

2. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Nope... In fact is has a WB5 skin to add to the effect... I use it on my gaming rig... :D

3. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    The Mac thread is not dead despite being moved to the archived stickies section. Today's update comes in the form of an article by Gear Digest. This article explains how to install Windows XP on a MacBook Pro, complete with gaming benchmarks. Turns out it's not bad, considering the MacBook Pro only has an X1600 GPU. One issue that did come up was lower battery life under XP, which is due to the USB power bug in that OS.

http://www.geardigest.com/2007/02/07/apples-macbook-pro/index.html

The guide for installing Boot Camp will work with any Mac model supporting an Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. You MUST have an Intel processor though since the old PowerPC processors don't use an x86 architecture.

There has been no word yet if Vista can be installed on a Mac. I would not recommend it though due to the problems with the new OS. Mac OS 10.5 Leopard will feature the final release version of Boot Camp, the current is a beta.

4. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Well i am pretty bored these days. So i am wondering if it is possible for me to install OS X on my machine. Am i going to have a major problem with that?
    Looking at those links Orenda, it looks terribly difficult to do this, or am i wrong?

In any case you can expect plenty of noob questions coming up lol:p

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I dont know about your system but i am still wondering on whether i should Install MacOSX on my notebook.

Someone from notebookforums did it already

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread165755.html

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes, 10.4.8 will work with your mobo. May be a bit of lan trouble but that can apparently be fixed by a driver.
    http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8

I personally haven't tried it, but now I'm tempted to.

7. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    You mean OSX on pc hardware?? That's an interesting prospect... :)

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Yup that is exactly what i am implying.

You see out there on the market there are similar Laptops that have almost the same features as the Mac books (besides Mac's certain port). There is a possibility that you can install the MacOSX. Just look at the thread i posted as a link

Here are the pics taken from the other thread.

9. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    That's sweet scout... Yeah, there are a couple of companies that make the same mobo and such for both a pc and mac... can't remember which it is...

10. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apparently you have to download some specially tweaked version via torrent. At 4.3gb, that was going to take all day so I gave up.

Foxconn makes the mobos BTW.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    OsX86, I had it running at one point on a Dell, but it didn't run right seeing that it was crap hardware. I wanted to get it on this machine, but I couldn't get it to reconise my cpu, which it should of. =[ Oh well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have any pics where it's about this mac, but it read the 1.7 ghz celeron as 3.2 ghz celeron.

Problem is, the Mac os x86 takes more of a liking to intel, so it might be a little harder to do so on amd based machines. I still haven't gotten to yet.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  12. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    OK cool, been poking around at it seems like 10.4.6 works with every piece of hardware i currently have, so thats promising. Backing up stuff as we speak, although luckily i dont really have anything on this pc that is vitally important to me so im not too fussed. Mac OSX here i come, ill keep ya posted.:)
    (still seems dificult):uhoh:

13. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm going to install it on my old 40gb since there's nothing important on that drive that just can't be moved to another. I'll let you guys know if I make any progress.

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Are u guys going to install MacOS X on your desktop's ???? i am curious how you guys are gonna do it.

Can u keep me posted

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    There's a ox s86 dvd out there in the torrents, burn it and such. It actually ran pretty decent on my old dell, but still didn't run as well on a SSE2 cpu.

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    hmm my ibooks osx install discs are to tempting to pop in ..

17. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am but the download is so slow. Started at about 100kB/s but dropped to about 1-5kB/s. After nearly 8hr it was only 30 % done so I paused it to give my PC a rest. My dad would go nuts if I left my rig on all day.

I think what I'll do is hook up my portable HDD to my laptop and just leave that on all night. Consumes less power.

18. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Yes. Little project to keep me busy.

Tell me about Orenda, 62.2% and it suddenly decides that 15kb/s is perfect:gape:sucks eh.

Sorry i haven't responded to your PM vbetss, only i have not got as far as you have yet. I will be sure to let you know when i get there though thank you.:)

19. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Can you guys PM me with the link to where to get it from or try the usual Torrent sites.

20. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Still slow today. Fortunately you can pause torrents and pick them back up later. It's still slow today. It depends what peer the piece you're downloading is coming from. It's starting to climb back up to where it was before as I write.

You can get it from the usual places. Just google "Mac OS 10.4.8 jas"