[WIP] ATX PSU Maximum Combined 12v Ratings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Nov 30, 2006.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Are you sure the be quiet DarkPower 850W only has a combined 54A on the +12v rails? I thought it should have more than the StraightPower 700W and while I haven't found a concrete proof of that, I think I've seen pictures of the DP850 and I thought I saw 58A there (the font was too small for me to be a 100% sure).

2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    [​IMG]

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok I've seen that pic Infested, but from what I read there, it's definitely not 54A. Looks like 56 or 58 to me... Also, the maximum combined wattage for the +12v rail on my 700W straightpower is 672W, whereas on the 850W darkpower it's only 648W. Does this mean the 700W straightpower is a more powerful PSU?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I know what you're talking about. When I did that one on the list I got the figures from this review here:

http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/hardware/netzteile/netzteil2006/highend/9.shtml

Which says it's 648W (54A). Then later I saw photo's of the label places and it says 58A but it also says 648W(54A) so there's a discrepency there on the label and I erred on the side of caution. It's a Topower P6 unit so I should be able to suss it out when I have some time.

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I think 58A is the peak rating and 54A is the continuous rating. I'll keep an eye out to see if someone puts one on a load tester and either confirms or refutes that.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very usefull information thank you Makalu. I got a BFG 650W. is listed there.
    Thank you for the info...

7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Hey thanks for the kudos man...while I'm here in this thread I thought I'd mention that after my last post I wrote a letter to a BeQuiet sales rep asking if he could clear up the discrepancy. Haven't heard back yet and if nothing comes within a few days then in my experience with e-mailing psu people I won't hear anything ever...maybe they can't find a non-Chinese speaking engineer to explain it to the sales dude. :)

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    anyone got a n idea how nvidia give out SLI certification on psu's , i mean there aloads of psu's that i would put money on could run a dual 8800GTX set-up for e.g : Hiper Type R 730W is only SLI certified upto 8800GTS , but i would put money it would run dual 8800GTX's , any info ont this makalu , also how are the Xclio Stablepower Units??

9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Well, Nvidia isn't certifying any units for 8800GTX SLI unless they have 4 factory installed PCI-E connectors. I haven't seen the Xclio Stablepower's put on a load or ripple test but they are made by Enhance and I would assume that they are comparable to the Enhance made Silverstone Striders.

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    the 730w Type R's have 4 6 pin connecotrs do they not ??

6 x 4pin Molex
    1 x 4pin Motherboard
    4 x 6pin PCI-E Power
    1 x 8pin CPU
    2 x FDD Power
    4 x SATA Power

this is what they supposedly have

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My PSU only has 2xPCIe Connectors. But there's molex to PCIe adaptors too. I don't really bother about SLI, as long as my PSU is capable of running 1 high end card, I'm happy. I know it can run 8800gtx and it will run the new R600 cards too, but I might skip those for now. Or maybe just get a cheap 8800gtx in the summer. Hope my PSU will be good enough for the generation after this, since I love it.

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    Ah well they probably do now then. The specs I checked were probably either outdated or for one of the older 2-connector ones still in stock. I think Hiper will still need to send one of the new 4-connector to Nvidia and maybe have to pay again for the certification but I'm not sure how that works. A lot of units that used to have just 2 connectors came out with four shortly after the release of the 8800GTX.

Looking at the power ratings for that unit I would say it might pass Nvidias pretty grueling tests or it might not...kinda borderline I think.

Also, I just heard back from the BeQuiet rep and I've changed the rating.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So the DarkPower 850w is only slightly more powerful than the 700w StraightPower.

58A 696w --> 850w DarkPower
    54A 672w --> 700w StraightPower

Still, nice to hear that be quiet! actually cares about their customers.

14. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah Eclap, that's right. Generally speaking the Straightpowers all have more 12v amperage then a comparable total wattage Darkpower. And sales reps that actually respond is a major plus in my book too...otherwise I'd be forced to consider the unit an over-rated 800ish watt unit and that's a demerit.

15. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    which of the ff in the HEC list is mine?

the specs on the box say 17a and 15a though

and on a sidenote, will this PSU be okay if i upgraded to a C2D e6300 Oced to around 2.5Ghz?

edit, i found a link/review of my PSU (except mine is a PB and the only diff i know of is the blue LED that the UB have)

heres the review:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/412/4

and the stats:

[​IMG]

so whats the "real" 12v amperage for this one? and yeah that C2D question i asked earlier too :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh man I had to be completely asleep at the wheel when I did that one there...there isn't even a 480TW-ATX unit and it's certainly not only 3 amps...oh wait Bigfoot did that! honest (naw I'm kidding that was all me). It should read 460TW-ATX and 31amps and I'll fix it in a bit.

Anyway, yeah I think the Acepower you have is the same as the 480UB and the combined 12v amperage isn't given by the maker. However, here's a good review of the unit using a load tester and he managed to get about 35amps off the 12v combined. Obviously the engineers have left themselves some room in the individual current protection cut-off as they usually do due to individual variances between the otherwise identical components used. I wouldn't hesitate to consider it 32a (17+15) and I may consider going out on a bit of a limb and edit that into the sticky too. Anyway, load regulation of the unit is excellent and the C2D, despite being faster, actually requires less power than your current AMD due to the design improvements so I'd say if you're good now then you'll be good later.

review link: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/HEC_ACE_Power_480UB_7.html

17. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Hey here are the HEC I did:smoke:

HEC/COMPUCASE

HEC-350AR-PTF 18amp
    HEC-400AR-PTF 18amp
    HEC-350TD-PTX 25amp
    HEC-385WA-PTS 18amp
    HEC-400WA-PTZ 29amp
    HEC-420TW-ATX 31amp
    HEC-420TD-PTX 31amp
    HEC-450LR-AT 17amp
    HEC-460DRAX 29.5amp HA .5!
    HEC-480TD-PTX 32amp
    HEC-480TW-ATX 33amp
    HEC-550AB-ATF 35amp

18. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    so my current setup consumes more power than my planned upgrade huh? WOW! thats it, im going to sell my CPU/Mobo/RAM on the local online buy&sell now..:D thanks

edit,

wish me luck on being able to sell this thing at a good price..

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah Waway...a little less to power the e6300 than the 3000+ Venice...and good luck with your trading :)

Bigpipe (hey I at least got your name right so far so maybe we can get the rest of this right eventually too). I do have records here of who submitted what but didn't bother to check it since I went to the HEC site first and remembered spending a fair amount of time there so I just figured it was all me. Anyway, I obviously didn't get it right when I did my double checking and editing for the list...and I didn't notice a 480TW-ATX model there at all this morning but I didn't really spend much time looking it over...just saw the 460TW-ATX and assumed that was what it was supposed to be. Anyway, the 460 at 31a and 480 at 33a makes sense so I'll stick that back on the list now...and hopefully everything is in order now...thanks again for everything :)

20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I am wondering of my old Levicom can hold mustard and power a 8800gts 640mb
    plus an overclocked E6400 (3.2ghz) ?

[​IMG]