Anonymous whistle blower claims Gearbox stole from SEGA

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The demo was 100% in game footage.
    But, it was also a "work in progress" so it's subject to change. So, people trying to claim false advertising are grasping at straws.

2. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    In this games case "subject to change" is the biggest understatement of the year.
    BTW! Why are you are you being Gearbox fanboy of the year about it? It's not the first time Randy pitchford and his team have conned the gaming community. They pulled a similar stunt with BIA: Hell's Highway.

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    I suppose Damien has to remain impartial as he's a mod on GBX's forums. Although he does also seem to be the more level-headed individual among us.

4. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Honestly, I believe the real problem is that GearBox took on too many projects than it could handle. The greed of more money played a big role here with the top dogs at GearBox. I don't really think there is or was embezzlement here from GearBox, just unfocused attention and responsibility due to working on too many projects nearly around the same time. Not everyone can be like BioWare...

5. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    they don't have the option to be annoyed and/or mad?

6. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    OR... it was an impressive pre-rendered video made to look like gameplay, just like Killzone 2 ;)

7. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I think they worked more on the Demo than the actual game.

They say the game was dumbed down for consoles, due to performance issues. The demo was running, and probably only ran, on an SLI/Crossfire extremely high-end machine, due to non-existing optimization. Naturally, since no work had been done in consoles or in optimizing the actual game, they had to cut, not optimise, since they had no time left.

So consoles did made A:CM a worse game than if it was exclusive to PC. But that's an half-truth. Not only would the demo be unplayable in 99% of the PC's out there, no work had been done in the consoles a year from launch!

Expect Sega to sue Gearbox.

8. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    As other people mentioned a few posts above, now the game is out and the opportunity lost. I just hope people won't buy this and screw them over.

However, I would love to hear Randy Pitchford defending it like he did with Duke Nukem Forever. This guy is amusing, reminds me of political leaders lying about missed government pre-election goals and promises. He could have had a career there...

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What basis would they have to sue?

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Depends on the contact between themselves.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Which is something that I'm sure Seketh knows nothing about in any meaningful detail.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Can't remember if it was the article or not but didn't it say that Sega couldn't sue Gearbox because they asked them to deliver a game and they did exactly that, that what they should have done was pull the plug under the guise of the game not meeting expectation and then sue GBx then?

I dunno may be wrong about that.

13. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It was here: http://segaawakens.blogspot.pt/2013/02/that-eventual-aliens-colonial-marines.html, it has been removed meanwhile. Supposedly the blog of a Sega employee, claiming Gearbox broke agreements with Sega.

@Gaizokubanou: Kindly stick the attitude up where the sun don't shine, will ya?

14. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    There was no attitude intended, so my apologies if you felt I was hostile which I can see how it could appear that way.

But do you have any such info? If not my post does stand factually correct, does it not?

15. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Apology accepted, your post sounds very hostile.

Anyway, yeah, it stands factually correct. Just a rumour, and since that blog entry has been taken down, there's no source.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Is it wrong that the unfolding saga of A:CM is much more entertaining than the game. lol

17. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    It wasn't meant to single you out so I'm sorry that it reads as if it was singling you out... I should've added in the fact that myself and others don't know jack **** about this either. Hence the problem, nobody really knows much about this whole situation outside of some claims here and there that cannot be verified.

Drama is always entertaining when one is not involved :D

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    gb certainly mismanaged funds and manpower with acm and lied to well everyone, even if the contract said they only had to deliver a game, how does it excuse fraud?

i give you money to make a game you take that money and make your own game with it, and then at some point i get pissy want something for my money then you hire a cut rate studio to churn out a game in no time flat, meaning you took years and condensed it into months of work, took my money and spent it on your own game, which i saw no profits of. spent little money on my actual game you promised to make, and then turned out a piece of garbage that noone wants to buy because you half assed it period.

sega needs its head examined if its contracts are so vague that a dev can commit fraud, and it can be legal just cause they produced a "game." and the legal system should have its collective head examined, along with people counting the money in the games industry if this is the way we are going to produce games write blank checks for years on end for vague end goals.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    A demo that is a work in progress that is different from the final product is not fraud.

Also, you can't force a dev to sign a contract that says they won't make a crappy game or force them to get a certain metacritic score. No dev in the world would sign that contract unless you are developing the next COD game because you're guaranteed nobody will bad mouth it.

The only way Sega will get anything out of them by suing is for mis-management of funds if their lucky. They can't sue for developing a crap game.

20. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56